Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Album of the Year 2016

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    Blue & Lonesome

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited December 2016
    Meshuggah, David Bowie, Whores, The Doom Soundtrack, Savages, Radiohead, Cult Of Luna amongst many others had great records this year.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The Lucid Dream -- "Compulsion Songs"

Very good indeed.  Psychedelic raw and loud rather than twee with a badly played flute.

• Alter Bridge - The Last Hero
    Devin Townsend - Transcendence
    (guilty pleasure) The Pretty Reckless - Who You Selling For

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Grunfeld said:
    The Lucid Dream -- "Compulsion Songs"

Very good indeed.  Psychedelic raw and loud rather than twee with a badly played flute.

Great band, you should catch them when you get a chance if you haven't already. 
  • This year has been a bit of a blur so no idea what I've bought this year as opposed to last but I'm very much enjoying Meursault's "Simple is Good" at the minute. What I've heard of Kate Tempest's "Let Them Eat Chaos" has been really good too so I'll probably gift it to myself this Christmas. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    UnclePsychosis said:
    What I've heard of Kate Tempest's "Let Them Eat Chaos" has been really good too so I'll probably gift it to myself this Christmas. 
    It requires a completely undistracted listen - some of the best musical storytelling I've heard in a long time @UnclePsychosis ;
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Moss said:
    UnclePsychosis said:
    What I've heard of Kate Tempest's "Let Them Eat Chaos" has been really good too so I'll probably gift it to myself this Christmas. 
    It requires a completely undistracted listen - some of the best musical storytelling I've heard in a long time @UnclePsychosis ;
    Great! 

I heard "perfect coffee" on 6 music yesterday and it blew me away. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Placidcasual79 said:
     house in tall grass by Kikagaku Moyo 
    If you like that, I'm guessing you already like Wolf People, Dungen and both of their great 2016 releases.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    This year has been a bit of a blur so no idea what I've bought this year as opposed to last but I'm very much enjoying Meursault's "Simple is Good" at the minute. What I've heard of Kate Tempest's "Let Them Eat Chaos" has been really good too so I'll probably gift it to myself this Christmas. 
    Cool, will check it out, I really like the guy she is performing with here, Polarbear.

• bbill335 said:
    Placidcasual79 said:
     house in tall grass by Kikagaku Moyo 
    If you like that, I'm guessing you already like Wolf People, Dungen and both of their great 2016 releases.
    I don't know them mate - will certainly check them out. Thanks!
  • Had a first listen of the new Sting album today, sounds great to me! Marcus King Band was also a very enjoyable find!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Grand Magus was great.  
    Sumerland and Eternal Champion both delivered killers 
    Bolzer
    Rid
    40 Watt Sun
    Wretch
    Destroyer 666
    Ram
    Ranger
    Right at the end of 2015 but I included it in my Metal Hammer list was Batushka
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    Grand Magus was great.  
    Bolzer
    Rid
    40 Watt Sun
    Wretch
    Destroyer 666
    Ram
    Ranger
    Never heard of any of the bands here but just checked out some of them and they are great!  I'll check out the rest of them later on, cheers for the insights. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Helstar's latest is awesome, as is Charred Walls of the Damned too.
    Reverend said:
    Grand Magus was great.  
    Bolzer
    Rid
    40 Watt Sun
    Wretch
    Destroyer 666
    Ram
    Ranger
    Never heard of any of the bands here but just checked out some of them and they are great!  I'll check out the rest of them later on, cheers for the insights. 
    If it helps, Sumerland is guys from Eternal Champion plus Phil Swanson so if you his vocals check out Hour of 13/
    Rid is two guys from the original Iron Monkey line up doing black metal. 
    If you like Wretch then try Gates of Slumber with is Karl's old band. 

Ram and Ranger are Finnish and Swedish old school metal bands. loads of similar bands of a high quality I can recommend if you like them. 
    If you like 40 Watt Sun then Warning - Watching from a Distance is simply incredible and is also Pat Walker on guitar and vocals. Pallbearer and The Wounded Kings tread a similar path.  

I also forgot to mention Spiritus Mortis - killer doom with Sami from Reverend Bizarre that has elements of Candlemass, Reevlation and a hint of some of my bands.
  • I've been reading through all these to see if there were any I'd bought but there are none, apparently I've not bought anything new this year. Blackstar was good on spotify but I don't know how much of that was the usual dead artist nostalgia?

Oh actually no I have! Christine and the Queens Chaleur Humaine, the only thing I've bought but thankfully it is excellent so that write nicely fulfills my album of the year award nomination requirement
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Reverend said:

If it helps, Sumerland is guys from Eternal Champion plus Phil Swanson so if you his vocals check out Hour of 13/
    Rid is two guys from the original Iron Monkey line up doing black metal. 
    If you like Wretch then try Gates of Slumber with is Karl's old band. 

Ram and Ranger are Finnish and Swedish old school metal bands. loads of similar bands of a high quality I can recommend if you like them. 
    If you like 40 Watt Sun then Warning - Watching from a Distance is simply incredible and is also Pat Walker on guitar and vocals. Pallbearer and The Wounded Kings tread a similar path.  

I also forgot to mention Spiritus Mortis - killer doom with Sami from Reverend Bizarre that has elements of Candlemass, Reevlation and a hint of some of my bands.
    Thanks for the recommendations!  I used to love Iron Monkey and  the two Pallbearer albums have probably been the two ones I have listened to the most over the year or so  (Sorrow & Extinction is one of my favourite albums to listen when drunk and making my way back home!  Really looking forward to their new album for 2017)

Is it alright if I get back to you later on for some more metal bands?  It'll take a while to work through and digest the bands you already mentioned! 
    Bidley said:
    Helstar's latest is awesome, as is Charred Walls of the Damned too.
    I hadn't even noticed they had a new one out. Burning Star is a long time fave. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I think Slow Forever by Cobalt may be my number one. Probably do a longer list later if I can be bothered.