Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do I really need an amp any more?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:
    You could always become a singer. That way you wouldn't need any gear at all, you could just turn up and expect someone else to have provided everything and set it up for you, then make sure you leave when it needs to be got back into the van.
    Would be funny if it wasn't true 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Could you not sell everything bar your favourite preamp pedal and buy a Helix.

You can then use that with your powered speakers.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    TTBZ said:
    People over on TGP are really rating the Boss Katana, most saying it has that real valve amp feel. And considering how much cork sniffery and other bollocks there is over there, that's some sort of endorsement anyway. If you got the 100w head you could use its built in speakers for home practice then go into a backline cab for any gigs you might have. Or go for the 100w combo which apparently sounds good at any volume. 

I tried one and while it certainly wasn't bad it wasn't great IMO
  • The Blues Cube Artist/Stage? I almost went for one of these over a PRRI, I opted for the Princeton because it was on special offer at the time, I'm still intrigued by these amps. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72672
    TTBZ said:
    People over on TGP are really rating the Boss Katana, most saying it has that real valve amp feel. And considering how much cork sniffery and other bollocks there is over there, that's some sort of endorsement anyway.
    Given the sort of sounds they like over there, that's put me right off it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got the opposite problem(warning: cautionary tale ahead).   I tool a long break from playing live  that eventually led me to think I wasn't going to be playing live again so I sold my bigger amps.    As it turns out, I went to a jam recently and "fell into" a band.  Now I'm amp hunting.  If you've got a powerful amp that isn't taking up too much space in your home,  keep it, you never know what might happen in the future.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• DanR said:
    Could you not sell everything bar your favourite preamp pedal and buy a Helix.

You can then use that with your powered speakers.

Theoretically yes but I already have modelling kit and I don't enjoy using it as much as pedals
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Honestly, I think there's a lot of your genuine frustration colouring the thinking if I may say so.

I went ampless last year - had a really nice little setup, for me I found I didn't like headphones all the time - so went back.

But as others have said - you can wire more elegantly.

For example I had a Pedal Train board, with all the drives etc. I wanted on there, all the pedals I liked.

Then a Bognor preamp

Then the delays and modulations

Then the two notes Torpedo.

All fitted on a big pedaltrain and the wiring was completely neat - there were three wires 'off board':

1. Power lead (one lead powered all)

2. Guitar lead

3. Headphones lead/lead to your monitors

You're not going to get tidier than that!

Sell your amp, it's not a one off - you can always buy another.

Or alternatively:

Stop playing for a few months - I've been playing for 34 years, but there have been long periods in that time where I've not picked up a guitar. For a few years I was learning Pro-tools/Logic and making electronic music, for a few years - I wasn't doing anything with music.

You only have so many hours in the day, enjoy what you do with them.

I'm now more into guitars than I've ever been, but it shouldn't be a chore.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    OK, you are going around in circles, buddy...

If you don't like modelling, then you need to keep your amp.

Frankly, I'd keep the amp. Need it quieter but the volume control isn't working at low levels, get an attenuator. Job done.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited December 2016
    For the music you like to play the Princeton should be ideal, get one of these then you can go into the computer too, while still keeping your pedals. If the taper on the volume pot seems wrong get it changed.

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PDI-09-Passive-DI-Box-for-Guitars-PDI09.htm

If you want some cash back on the princeton have a look at the AC15, Master volume is very effective. And if you're not enjoying playing, Have a break, find some new music to listen too. And come back too it.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    I haven't really used my blues deluxe in anger in seven years. I'm just keeping it for when I need to scratch that itch. I do intend to try out the Yamaha TH100r next week though.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the Guitar Nerds review of the Katana 50 the other day, I was quite surprised at how bad I thought it sounded. On YouTube clips and through my telly guitar amps get a bit samey sounding so I was surprised at how nasty it was. Still looks like it's assembled from parts left over from something in the 80s. 

ICBM said:
    TTBZ said:
    People over on TGP are really rating the Boss Katana, most saying it has that real valve amp feel. And considering how much cork sniffery and other bollocks there is over there, that's some sort of endorsement anyway.
    Given the sort of sounds they like over there, that's put me right off it.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.