Mac questions

What's Hot
I recently got a Macbook pro for doing music on after being a long term Windoze user. My problem (or at least the one I'm admitting to) is I really want to use a wireless keyboard with a keypad, as I use the keypad all the time in Cubase. I know that I could get the Belkin Bluetooth keypad, but A) I've already got a wireless keyboard and mouse for my PC and B) I don't want to look any more like a tragic hipster than I already do by owning the laptop. What's the best way of mapping the UK keyboard to OS X? Should I just get a Merkin keyboard? Or is there some Apple product I'm missing? Or should I just embrace my inner hipness and go with the brushed aluminium?

;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can select the keyboard type on the Mac
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited December 2016
    You can also get the Bluetooth trackpad, that works very well indeed
  • Wired Apple British Keyboard: http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MB110B/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-british?fnode=56    They don't do a wireless full british keyboard

Should be easy to set up your Belkin keyboard with the mac, althought that does depend on the model, but mapping a keyboard is pretty easy. (it may just not be compatible) 

apple do sell this by god it's expensive : http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HD389ZM/B/belkin-wireless-yourtype-numeric-keypad-for-imac-and-macbook?fnode=56

• derndern Frets: 357
    marcus449 said:
    Wired Apple British Keyboard: http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MB110B/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-british?fnode=56    They don't do a wireless full british keyboard
    Yes. I have two of these and really like them and they work flawlessly. Trying to use a windows keyboard on a mac is too much of pain.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    They should offer MacBooks with a UK keyboard layout in the UK.  That was one of my many gripes when I had a MBP.
  • It's easy enough to change. Google it.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited December 2016
    keyboard layouts are easily changed, as said above, and, hardware-wise, I have no problems using the wireless keyboard off my old Windows desktop with my Macbook. 

The keyboard is a UK one but my layout (and Mac keyboard) is German so I just try to remember where the keys are and painted on the ones I always forget with Tippex. 

• crunchman said:
    They should offer MacBooks with a UK keyboard layout in the UK.  That was one of my many gripes when I had a MBP.
    All MacBooks sold in the U.K. come with U.K. keyboard, it's just not a PC layout. The us keyboards don't have a £ for instance, they have a # on the 3 key
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited December 2016
    crunchman said:
    All MacBooks sold in the U.K. come with U.K. keyboard, it's just not a PC layout. The us keyboards don't have a £ for instance, they have a # on the 3 key
    It's not where I expect things to be though.  The " character should be shift 2 and the @ character should be 2 keys left of the return key.
  • Again you can change the keyboard layout
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    This is an MS keyboard, the layout is uk in the localisation settings, the most annoying thing for me is the reversal of " and @. I suppose I will just type my emails in Windows.  The other thing that is confusing me is trying to use the "2 finger for right click" on a Windows laptop. I'm not really asking for advice on that one! @Axe_meister, do you mean you can program the individual keys (which would solve my @ and " problem) rather than just setting the uk keyboard setting? Although I would need to remember to change it back if I was going mobile.

I thought I would post on here as it struck me as the kind of question which would be best answered in a conversation rather than wading through 5 gazillian google hits about how to select the uk keyboard!

dern said:
    marcus449 said:
    Wired Apple British Keyboard: http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MB110B/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-british?fnode=56    They don't do a wireless full british keyboard
    Yes. I have two of these and really like them and they work flawlessly. Trying to use a windows keyboard on a mac is too much of pain.
    This has confirmed my opinion that it is, indeed, a pain. If I find it too annoying I'll give that Belkin thingy a try.

Cheers lads
  • To quote from Mac forum

there is already a "British - PC" layout installed by default.

To activate it was Settings->Keyboard->Input Sources->Plus sign & find it from the list, and then click the input source icon in the menu bar to select it.

Just search for British PC in the keyboard list