Downshifting jobs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    mellowsun said:
    'Downshifting' on the house isn't really an option as it is a small terrace (about 900 sq ft)
    900 Sq ft is very rentable in North London.  Rentable enough to cover rent somewhere abroad and cheap plus a quite nice lifestyle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    You could very easily move to Cambridge earn not much less and probably have a much higher quality of life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11926
    edited December 2016
    yes, you could relocate to somewhere less expensive
    A nice  3 bed terrace near me is about £120k
    new 4 beds from £145k
    Salaries are little different
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    You could very easily move to Cambridge earn not much less and probably have a much higher quality of life.
    That sounds like an excellent idea.

The contracting life is very different to the employed life - and not just because you can often work away from home during the week if you need to follow the work.  It has lots of upsides too, but isn't for everyone.

Cambridge is still a very busy city, with a lot of the upsides of London but without a lot of the downsides.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited December 2016
    I spent three years there as a student, never considered returning tbh!

It is a lovely city, I agree. But 2-up-2-down houses within 1 mile of Cambridge station are over 400K - so I'd be able to do a straight swap with my current house, but much higher quality of living, no.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    The quality of living in Cambridge is not about living space, for sure, and 900sqft is a palace here. But you wouldn't need to live so close to the station if you were working here, too. Plenty of IT work right here.
    tFB Trader
    mellowsun said:
    I spent three years there as a student, never considered returning tbh!

It is a lovely city, I agree. But 2-up-2-down houses within 1 mile of Cambridge station are over 400K - so I'd be able to do a straight swap with my current house, but much higher quality of living, no.
    Why would you have to live next to the station?

I live in a 3 bed semi detached I paid £170k for and commute in from Bury st Edmunds
  • Where are you. We are hiring dev positions and a couple of managers at the moment.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Just read a bit further and saw north London...prob a bit far then which is a shame as other product areas I'm pretty sure would snap uk knowledge engineering right now
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Why would you have to live next to the station?

I live in a 3 bed semi detached I paid £170k for and commute in from Bury st Edmunds
    Ah sorry, I thought you were suggesting moving to Cambridge rather than commuting in to Cambridge for work.

My main goals are to 1) cut down on commuting, 2) cut down on hours, 3) cut down on stress 
    tFB Trader
    Ah ok.

You could easily get a well paid job in machine learning in Cambridge. Microsoft, Apple and Amazon all have their UK R&D bases here for example and there are dozens of others. I bet the multitude of Cambridge tech consultancies want people with your skills as it's a fairly hot subject at the moment.
    Ah ok.

You could easily get a well paid job in machine learning in Cambridge. Microsoft, Apple and Amazon all have their UK R&D bases here for example and there are dozens of others. I bet the multitude of Cambridge tech consultancies want people with your skills as it's a fairly hot subject at the moment.
    Indeed - not blowing my own trumpet but I do get approached by them, but what's on offer (permanent, office based roles) doesn't fit my 'downshifting' need right now.

I think I need a complete change.