UPDATED: B*stard cat brought a live mouse in: CAPTURED!

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
Useless cat brought a live mouse in 2 days ago and proudly let it go. We chased it from one room to another and it went under our gas fire in the lounge. We staked it out to about midnight and could see it at the back of the fireplace on the marble effect plinth but every time we tried to get it it ran up into the fire surround. Gave up went to bed.

No sound all day, but last night around 9-10pm we heard a scratching sound in the lounge ceiling, it's somehow worked it's way up inside the cavity wall, into the void between downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor, through the cut out for the gas fire flue no doubt and we heard it move across the ceiling into the kitchen.

Put some cheese out last night went to bed and some of the small blocks are gone, though one of our cats eats cheese so we don't know if it was the mouse or not.

Just got 2 Big Cheese live catch traps and put them around the fireplace and will see how go tonight. I expect it will sleep all day and get active again tonight.

Useless bloody cat!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Cheese is a bad bait for mice. They're actually not that keen on it. Use bacon or crumbled biscuits/crackers. Seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strawberry jam in a live trap has worked well in the past.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    A whiskey tube works wonders 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Get a 50p Spring trap from Wilko's load it with chocolate. Dead mouse almost guaranteed...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Our cats used to bring all sorts of wildlife into the house. They sleep in the garage these days. Humane mousetrap with chocolate or peanut butter will soon get your little visitor caught.  ;)
  • The traps I bought are pre-baited but I have added a dollop of peanut butter to one. 

There will be a Mousewatch update tomorrow

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    Chocolate spread as bait. Put the heating on to wake them up and lure them out. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Our cat is the same, he brings mice in &  plays with them, some are dead some are alive & run off in the house, He brought us a bat this Summer & let the bloody thing go in the house.
  • I ceased to be bothered about my cats brining in dead, or live, wildlife years ago, and just accepted that ever so often there'd be something for me to capture and release. The list has included mice, voles, rabbits ( the commonest life form, as I live in the country) and a mole. There are bats living in my neighbour's roof, so I usually find a few get into my house each year!!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The cat is contributing to the food stock in the house. Show your appreciation for this gesture and let the cat dine on the mouse. Best food for a cat is mouse. Not a lot of people know that....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Lol but that's ok! He'll learn how to hunt eventually. Mine brought a couple of live ones -not that tiny ones to be called mice but rats- some years back, when he was a kitten. Now he's 16, and I haven't seen a rat for ages. He also left me some slaughtered birds, a present which I never particularly appreciated.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

a mouse is nothing, my ex-missus's cat (who died last year and was too old for such things when he was here) once caught a duck - imagine that being let loose in the house ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    One of ours must have brought a live mouse in at some point. I noticed a stench in the kitchen and thought it was a blocked sewer or something. Eventually we tracked it down to coming from the radiator. The poor mouse had obviously gone up behind it to get away from the cat and then died. The radiator had slowcooked it, then it had bloated and burst.  :s
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

Mice aren't too bad but that hiding/copping it/stink thing is bad news... We've had live rats, birds and snakes but a squirrel was the trickiest, they're effin fast and good at jumping. Got him mid-air in a towel : )

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Same cat ( Bea) brough home a young Moorhen once, we saw her dragging it with it's neck in her mouth and massive webbed feet dragging on the ground as she struggled to get it across the lawn to the back door. We opened the door and she dropped in and it looked dead. cat lost interest and wandered off, young Moorhen jumped up and started running round the garden, looked hilarious, and bigger than I expected up close, it eventually flapped it's young wings and just got enough height to clear the hedge and head back to the pond over the common land over the back.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We had a cat when I was a teenager who disappeared when he wasn't yet fully adult. My sister and I feared the worst because he hadn't been seen for a few days and he liked to go for walks along the railway line that ran below our estate. We eventually found him looking bedraggled and with scratches on his nose and in his fur, in a hole in some undergrowth at the far end of the garden. There were white feathers everywhere, and we reckoned he'd had a go at a seagull, bitten off more than he could chew, and holed up to lick his wounds and recover.

My sister had another cat who used to bring live birds into the house, more than once she had to phone my dad to come over because she'd come home from work to find a panicked bird flying round the living room and banging into the window. She came downstairs one morning and saw what she thought was half a rubber snake, probably a toy from the young child next door. No, it was a real snake, presumably the other half had been eaten. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I remember once when my dad was coming home from a night shift.  There was some cheesecake in the fridge at home and as soon as he got in he started talking about having a bit quite excitedly, as if it was the only thing that had got him through the night.

he opened the fridge and there was a mouse sitting in the cheesecake staring back at him.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

I once walked into a darkened lounge first thing in the morning and half awake, and stood on something cold and soft with a bare foot.

I turned the light on expecting to find cat poo trodden into the carpet only to discover I'd stood on a (dead) fish, pilfered from a neighbour's pond.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited December 2016
    A cat I used to have once brought a 30cm stick home. When she brought it in she was wagging her tail.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Dogs don't kill animals for fun then fill your house with the dying or dead.  Get a dog.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming