Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Team Rock Goes Bust...

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Reverend said:
    scrumhalf said:
    That's horrile news for those who have lost their jobs.

I've been a CR subscriber for a while, I can give it no higher compliment than to call it top-notch bog literature. It's left a gap in the market.
    No more dead legs though. 
    Billy Connolly said something along the lines of "we'll know when we've reached the apex of civilisation when they invent a toilet seat that lets you read the Sunday papers without losing the feeling in yur legs".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but Avenged Sevenfold posted this on Facebook. What a bunch of top bananas!

"Heavy Metal music has been a huge part of our lives for the last 22 years or so. In the beginning the only way we were able to get news on our favorite bands was through print magazine. We would put posters on our walls and learn of all the happenings in the metal world by reading the monthly print. We would scour Tower Records (which no longer exists) for any new information we could find on our favorite bands. One of those championing magazines was Metal Hammer. Unfortunately, the world is changing and people no longer want to pay for a real product they can hold in their hands.  Metal Hammer, Classic Rock magazine and Prog Magazine will no longer exist. This may not seem like a big deal to some of you but if you have ever traveled in the UK (which has one of, if not the best metal scenes in the world) you would notice that on every magazine stand heavy metal was prominently featured by these three magazines next to all of the other print that is acceptable in the mainstream. Now that it's gone it pushes metal and rock even further away from the average consciousness. Some believe in keeping heavy music underground, we don’t. This music means so much to so many including us. Our music should be inclusive and losing Metal Hammer is a major blow to all of us.

We have met many great people through the years at Team Rock and we are sure they will find great jobs soon enough. For now though, we hope you can help out the people who have dedicated their lives to promoting our favorite type of music through this crowd funding site. These are good people that don't deserve this just before Christmas. We have donated £1000 and hope you can give a little if you can find the means: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ukrockcommunity

A7X"

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but Avenged Sevenfold posted this on Facebook. What a bunch of top bananas!

"Heavy Metal music has been a huge part of our lives for the last 22 years or so. In the beginning the only way we were able to get news on our favorite bands was through print magazine. We would put posters on our walls and learn of all the happenings in the metal world by reading the monthly print. We would scour Tower Records (which no longer exists) for any new information we could find on our favorite bands. One of those championing magazines was Metal Hammer. Unfortunately, the world is changing and people no longer want to pay for a real product they can hold in their hands.  Metal Hammer, Classic Rock magazine and Prog Magazine will no longer exist. This may not seem like a big deal to some of you but if you have ever traveled in the UK (which has one of, if not the best metal scenes in the world) you would notice that on every magazine stand heavy metal was prominently featured by these three magazines next to all of the other print that is acceptable in the mainstream. Now that it's gone it pushes metal and rock even further away from the average consciousness. Some believe in keeping heavy music underground, we don’t. This music means so much to so many including us. Our music should be inclusive and losing Metal Hammer is a major blow to all of us.

We have met many great people through the years at Team Rock and we are sure they will find great jobs soon enough. For now though, we hope you can help out the people who have dedicated their lives to promoting our favorite type of music through this crowd funding site. These are good people that don't deserve this just before Christmas. We have donated £1000 and hope you can give a little if you can find the means: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ukrockcommunity

A7X"

Well, that is bloody awesome. A7X are a great band and this just seals it for me!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    joneve said:

A7X"

Well, that is bloody awesome. A7X are a great band and this just seals it for me!
    Aye. I'm not a MASSIVE fan of their music - can give or take it, but what a top bunch of blokes. 
    £40,000 mark has been smashed. I hope this gets to somewhere like £100,000, so that they can all have the Christmas they deserve. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:
    miserneil said:
    Taking Classic Rock and Metal Hammer magazines with it too :-(

70 odd jobs lost in Christmas week, none of the writers to be paid for December either.

Lets hope a buyer is found soon.

Are there no people with morals left? pulling this sort of crap is beyond reprehensible. I really hope whoever made this shitty decision has Karma come back at them in full force.
    Happened to me in 2003. I was one of three being made redundant that week. The entire company went a couple of months later.

It sucks, it really does. Those guys have my sympathy, but that crowdfunding thing seems to have taken a lot of the sting off it for them.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ThorpyFX said:
    miserneil said:
    Taking Classic Rock and Metal Hammer magazines with it too :-(

70 odd jobs lost in Christmas week, none of the writers to be paid for December either.

Lets hope a buyer is found soon.

Are there no people with morals left? pulling this sort of crap is beyond reprehensible. I really hope whoever made this shitty decision has Karma come back at them in full force.
    Happened to me in 2003. I was one of three being made redundant that week. The entire company went a couple of months later.

It sucks, it really does. Those guys have my sympathy, but that crowdfunding thing seems to have taken a lot of the sting off it for them.
    Not kidding. It's really cool that people care enough to set these things up, but it makes me feel really sorry for those who actually go through the same shit or worse and get no help what so ever, all through the year :(
  • joneve said:
    £40,000 mark has been smashed. I hope this gets to somewhere like £100,000, so that they can all have the Christmas they deserve. 
    The depressing thing is that even if it hits £100k, it probably won't even be close to their salaries - it works out at something like £1300 each.

All we can hope is that the management had given them indications that it was going down the tubes, and they had a chance to tighten their belts.
    <space for hire>
    joneve said:
    The depressing thing is that even if it hits £100k, it probably won't even be close to their salaries - it works out at something like £1300 each.

All we can hope is that the management had given them indications that it was going down the tubes, and they had a chance to tighten their belts.
    73 redundancies wasn't it? divide 100k by that and you get £1370 per employee...Doesn't make up for them losing their job, but should hopefully soften the blow for them a bit. It's now gone up by another £1000 in 45 minutes...so hopefully it continues at a steady pace. 

Exposure from guys like AX7 should (hopefully) help. Would be great if other bands got on board too. 
    £5k more in just over 3 hours! people are awesome. 
  • ahem...*metal* people are awesome :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice to see Machinehead and Dave Mustaine promoting this too. Over £75k now  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Prog Magazine too?
    mellowsun said:
    Prog Magazine too?
    Sadly, yes. All of their publications. 

The fundraiser is averaging 15-20k per day, which is awesome. Hopefully it can hit 100k so they can all get about the same amount as they'd have been paid in december. 
    This sucks.

Maybe Future will step in and buy them?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    mellowsun said:
    This sucks.

Maybe Future will step in and buy them?
    Future sold them to Team Rock in the first place but I totally agree, Future would be a great home for them.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm sad in particular for losing Prog and Classic Rock as they are the only mags I buy these days. Not that I bought it every time, I do find magazines to be expensive these days. Great campaign though to help out, I'd find that heartwarming, not just because of a bit of cash in your pocket, but because the community that you did your work for actually cared that much.
  • £800k for all that. That's not even half a year's salary bill.

Quite sad that this is what we've come to.
    <space for hire>
    £800k for all that. That's not even half a year's salary bill.
    Smart move though - they sold it for 10million and bought it back for 800k.