Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A question for the learned members of theFretBoard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Wrap the chocolate wrapper around your finger and shape into a tiny goblet and leave on any spare surface.

Leave After Eight wrappers in the box so that gradually finding the chocolates becomes a game of chance. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    It annoys me. My wife does it. 

Celebrations, Quality Street. Even After Eights. 

REMOVE WRAPPER. THROW WRAPPER IN THE BIN FFS. 
    MORE SO with After Eights !!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. It's like going through a filing cabinet if you start leaving the wrappers in the After Eights box.

I must admit to similar (maybe worse) behaviour when I was a kid, at Christmas time.

I've never particularly liked peanuts themselves, but I like the initial salty taste of salted peanuts. So I used to suck the salt off the peanuts and put them back in the bowl.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    CHRISB50 said:

I've never particularly liked peanuts themselves, but I like the initial salty taste of salted peanuts. So I used to suck the salt off the peanuts and put them back in the bowl.

It's a particularly dirty trick with After Eights but, ladies and gents, we have a winner!

You big minger! :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As pointed out, buying Celebrations is criminal. While buying a similarly sized receptacle containing sweets suggests sharing the deliciousness, they are clearly meant for solitary consumption ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The mistake you make is buying Celebrations in the first place, Quality Street is where it's at and don't get me started on Roses, they are total garbage.

Also, you shouldn't be offering them around, tell interfering older relatives that they are for the children and they should know better.
    Bang on - wisdom awarded 
    randella said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's a particularly dirty trick with After Eights but, ladies and gents, we have a winner!

I am a big minger now! Many would agree with you.

In my defence the above behaviour was when I was about 5 or 6 :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• randellarandella Frets: 4178
    CHRISB50 said:
    randella said:
    CHRISB50 said:

:) that came off harsher than I intended I think @CHRISB50

I don't think there's an adult human alive who can truthfully claim to have committed no mingery whatsoever at that age.  I certainly couldn't.

I stick by my point about the After Eights/empty wrappers though, it's a rogues' trick.
  • I do it with After Eights purely because I know how much it messes with MrsLostSon. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    I grabbed a Hazelnut Whirl out of a tub of Roses at work the other night.My god,what have they done to them!Tasted like chewing washing up liquid,leaving a horrible aftertaste that lasted for an hour.Tried a different chocolate and it was just the same.I know I'm full of cold and my taste buds are shot to pieces but it's so disappointing how much they've changed in even just the last year.Needless to say I've asked the wife not to grab a tub for Christmas.We'll stick to Aldi chocolate. Much nicer.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    randella said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    randella said:
    CHRISB50 said:

:) that came off harsher than I intended I think @CHRISB50

I don't think there's an adult human alive who can truthfully claim to have committed no mingery whatsoever at that age.  I certainly couldn't.

I stick by my point about the After Eights/empty wrappers though, it's a rogues' trick.
    Haha. Don't be silly man. I agree. It's a dirty old thing to do. I was only little though. 

As you said. Most of us have done something pretty manky as a kid at some point or another. I just chose to post it on an Internet forum :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Wrap the chocolate wrapper around your finger and shape into a tiny goblet and leave on any spare surface.

Leave After Eight wrappers in the box so that gradually finding the chocolates becomes a game of chance. 
    Have you been spying on me?!
  • I'm a wrapper returner. But I take it to the next level by stuffing one wrapper with the previously discarded wrappers of other sweets, then you pick up a sweet thinking it full of chocolate. I am like a God of mischief. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• The Quality Street chocolate covered toffee finger is a thing of pure joy

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    We opened a tub of celebrations (other multi-packs of sweets are available) and were reminded of elderly relatives habits of putting empty wrappers back in their tubs of sweets.

My question is are we of the household Stoo wrong in finding this habit utterly abhorrent?

Supplemental question is do any of you peoples do it? 
    This practice goes back to the post-war years of rationing when a deposit was placed on many reusable items, like 2d on a beer bottle. Sweet wrappers were returned to the confectioner for reuse and the incentive was 1d for a dozen wrappers. That's why the elderly always pop the wrappers back in the tin. A commendable early example of recycling.
  • Jimbro66 said:
    We opened a tub of celebrations (other multi-packs of sweets are available) and were reminded of elderly relatives habits of putting empty wrappers back in their tubs of sweets.

My question is are we of the household Stoo wrong in finding this habit utterly abhorrent?

This practice goes back to the post-war years of rationing when a deposit was placed on many reusable items, like 2d on a beer bottle. Sweet wrappers were returned to the confectioner for reuse and the incentive was 1d for a dozen wrappers. That's why the elderly always pop the wrappers back in the tin. A commendable early example of recycling.
    Recycling or Austerity?

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited December 2016
    Jimbro66 said:

Recycling or Austerity?

Yes.

Mrs 66 always folds her sweet wrappers several times lengthwise until they are about 4mm wide then makes little bow ties from them before stacking them neatly beside the tin. Little works of art.

I roll mine into balls and flick them at the dog who, being a dog, thinks everything small and round is to be eaten - which saves me going to the bin.

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I hate it myself, there should never be false hope in a pot of Celebrations.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • dogload said:
    Wrap the chocolate wrapper around your finger and shape into a tiny goblet and leave on any spare surface.

Have you been spying on me?!
    I can find tiny goblets around the house well into February. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I put guitar solos back instead...you know to give the at form a fighting chance.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ