Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

**NO SPOILERS** Netflix : The OA - watch it

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
Fired this up late last night and ended up watching 3 eps until 2am - bizzare and compelling stuff!
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Word is that it's the best thing since Stranger Things. Is that true?
    <space for hire>
  • Word is that it's the best thing since Stranger Things. 
    Which was what, like six months ago, if that? Faint praise.

I might see if I can get Mrs_bob interested in this. She'll refuse to watch another series of something until we get to the end of The West Wing.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Yep, me and Mrs Nikko have been watching this. We are about 5 episodes in, and its definitely compelling stuff. I wouldn't compare it to Stranger Things (which I also loved) to be honest, they are two very different things.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I can kind of see why there are comparison made between the 2 but they are very different.

The OA is so brilliantly written and paced (and acted now I think about it) I was utterly drawn in from the opening minutes. The story could go almost anywhere from where I'm up to - hoping it's as strong an ending as beginning 
    Red ones are better. 
    btw can we keep this thread no spoilers (as it is thus far) - by all means start another for those who want to discuss plot points - ta!
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited December 2016
    Just watched a trailer and Daily Express outrage at Paz Vega (I didn't need to read any further, man I'm there ......)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    Thanks for that, we're at a bit of a loss for decent things to watch at the moment.
    Finished it -  :o 
    Red ones are better. 
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    This thread has been a convincing trailer: I'll have a gander later.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I started it earlier and now I'm 5 episodes in. I don't want to stop, it's so compelling.
    My V key is broken
  • I haven't seen this yet but I've seen the earlier stuff from the same producers/writers; indie sci-fi stuff Sound of my Voice and Another Earth). Both of those are very low key but quite compelling even if they don't *quite* give you a fully satisfied feeling of "yeah that was excellent" by the end. Sounds like this is better than those so looking forward to it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Just watched the first two... episode one was possibly THE best intro to a box set ive ever seen. Compelling and engaging.
  • I've finished it last week and must say that is has started much better than how it finished. Good series, but could be much better. Story is decent and some shots are beautiful, same with music. All is ruined by far too long pauses in between with too long dialogues and static scenes. But overall - good watch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Well, I watched it all in full agreement to the comments by other members...and what a finale disappointment. It's a copy of a john Irving novel though I fear it doesn't realise it, which makes matters worse as it professes to be original. Good acting, interesting ideas, but ultimately a stinker. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Just finished it, I thought it was beautiful and got chills. An incredible piece of art.
    My V key is broken
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    So what does OA stand for and what's it about (without giving anything away)
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    That bit of info is somewhat pivotal if like me you didn't have a clue about what this was all about before you start watching.  The main character wants to be known as The OA when she returns to her hometown.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Best tv sci fi of the year for me, in what must be the strongest year for sci fi so far.
  • Just finished it. Hoping for a season 2 though not sure what direction it'll take.
  • Just finished it. Hoping for a season 2 though not sure what direction it'll take.

I hope not. It's better as a mini series imho. I would mind Netflix doing yet another tv show in that climate but I don't think 2nd series of OA would be a good idea.
    Btw - "Stranger Things" was a better show overall in my opinion (as for OA being sci-fi of the year).