Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Least favourite Christmas song?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• slacker said:
    The seasonal bombardment of Christmas hits from yesteryear is well under way and I have to admit to loving many of them, being just about old enough to remember Slade and Wizzard the first time around. One that always grates on me, however, is Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney. To me it sounds like something he dashed off in 5 minutes, having found that his new synthesizer made a nice squelchy noise. Possibly the worst song by arguably the greatest songwriter.
    As a subjective opinion, Paul Mac has released 77 solo singles  and the only ones that dont make me want to smash the radio are is the aforementioned average Christmas song and the completely awesome LIve and Let Die.

And Live and Let Die was a cover...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    I think Fairytale of New York is a great song but I've also grown to hate it. For two reasons, the first being that its massively overplayed now and secondly---and more importantly---because the people overplaying it don't seem to have any awareness that they're playing a song that is fundamentally not a happy Christmas ditty.
    That's the whole point of it and why it's so good... but I agree about people missing the point. (As with other songs.)

slacker said:
    As a subjective opinion, Paul Mac has released 77 solo singles  and the only ones that dont make me want to smash the radio are is the aforementioned average Christmas song and the completely awesome LIve and Let Die.
    Er... no it isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5531
    I've heard the Bob Dylan one a lot recently on 6 Music. Proper annoying.
  • Sparky said:
    "Do They Know It's Christmas".

Horrible, parochial, borderline racist anthem.

85% of the population of Africa is Christian or Muslim, so yes, they know it's fucking Christmas.  No rivers? Fuck off. There's a whole page on Wikipedia about the rivers of Africa. No crops? Twatbuckets. The problem is that Africa exports too much of its produce.

Midge Ure and Bob Geldof are guilty of musical and cultural hate crimes.

Ooh, quotes system going wacky again  :s I find it odd that it's played in supermarkets,etc.It is so nonsensical and patronising that it doesn't stand up and it was a charity single so whilst you might forgive the content whilst it's raising money for a good cause if it's not then you are listening to a song about people starving at Christmas as the backdrop to buying the sherry. And as I'm typing this it's popped up on the telly....sigh...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    The Matt Terry one which was written by Ed Sheeran that's going around just now is quite annoying. You can tell it's by Ed Sheeran because the lyrics are typically shit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wondered if Live and Let Die was completely written by Macca, I wasn't 100% sure, but he has the writing credits shared with Linda. So, not a cover in any sense. Odd. 

ICBM said:
    I think Fairytale of New York is a great song but I've also grown to hate it. For two reasons, the first being that its massively overplayed now and secondly---and more importantly---because the people overplaying it don't seem to have any awareness that they're playing a song that is fundamentally not a happy Christmas ditty.
    That's the whole point of it and why it's so good... but I agree about people missing the point. (As with other songs.)

slacker said:
    Er... no it isn't.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Kalimna said:
    For all those haters of 'Fairytale...' by the Pogues, i heartily recommend the live acoustic version by Christy Moore. One man and his guitar and an absolute belter of a song with a slightly different rhythm to the popular version.

Adam
    I like 'Fairytale....' But it is overplayed on the radio. Will look out for the Christy Moore version..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Driving Home For Christmas.

I find it depressing.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    sinbaadi said:
    Driving Home For Christmas.

I find it depressing.
    But what's your least favourite Christmas song tho?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    Silent Night
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Here's my favourite. 

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280
    What grumpy, miserable bunch you lot are. 

Happy Christmas!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I play in a brass band so I'm well aquainted with crap Christmas songs. Do they Know It's Christmas, Last Christmas and Stop The Cavalry are all terrible, but least favourite is definitely Mistletoe and Wine.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    For example, heres a quick yt linky of Christy Moore, with his usual preamble...

Enjoy, and happy chrimblemass!

Adam
  • 'Little Donkey' can fuck right off.  =)