Rick Parfitt RIP :(

What's Hot

Comments

• Just read on BBC News, died of infection from complications following surgery for a shoulder injury.

What a shite start to Christmas... 

R.I.P.

Rockin' all over the world, and now he's rockin' in heaven.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38427459
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    I am really sad. I remember Quo from the very early 70's when they were raw and tight and awesome. I feel for Francis,  those two have been a partnership for 53 years.
    Don't think they met until 65, and Rick joined later than that? Long time to be sure though. 
  • One of the interesting things about this thread is how so many people with widely differing musical tastes have such respect for him and Quo. Not one single negative comment, or 'sniffiness'/musical snobbery.

I truly believe if you don't enjoy Quo - you probably don't enjoy life. I've never bought any of their records - but they were truly infectious. 

On what is undeniably a sad day, I reckon this is a pretty positive thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • Great comment Richard, there was a time people kept on about 3 chords etc, but try playing Blue for you with 3 chords, or so many other tracks off their albums. 
    Strangely enough yesterday, one of our presenters on station picked Blue for you as his classic album, it was so great to hear Rain played loud! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    When I first started to listen to the charts Rockin all over the world was high up. I loved the song, and it still brings back great memories of that time of life. Parfitt and Rossi were a great double act, I always loved their offstage banter. RIP Rick
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Top man @richardhomer, totally agree!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    miserneil said:
    Nerine said:
    What were his white Marshall's? 

Fairly sure, judging by the pictures I have just seen on Facebook, that one of them looked to have an AC30 chassis in it. Only two of the four in the picture actually looked like Marshall amps. Even though they were all headshelled to look like a Marshall. 

Same with the cabs. What are they?? 
    @Nerine They were JCM800s and AC30 chassis in Marshall head shells. The cabs were 1 x 4x12 to each head, the rest of the cabs were filled with Lights (Parfitts idea i believe).

httpmmaiircdncom5685453jpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Legend.

May or may not be a good thing to some but they gave the Jam a leg-up early days as well with equipment and gig contacts. Mr W speaks very highly of them I believe which I've always liked. 

Sad days indeed :(

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    @Nerine Without wishing to pull the thread too much off topic, here are a couple of pics I took when I was working for their support band in 2008:

JCM900's are Spares, JCM800's & AC30's are Ricks...

AC30's in Marshall headshells. Angled AC30's and JCM800's are Rossi's.

Rick's 'Rock n' Roll Range Rover'....my rack was set up next to these guitars...I was genuinely nervous to be around them, they are iconic to me!

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    One of the interesting things about this thread is how so many people with widely differing musical tastes have such respect for him and Quo. Not one single negative comment, or 'sniffiness'/musical snobbery.

I truly believe if you don't enjoy Quo - you probably don't enjoy life. I've never bought any of their records - but they were truly infectious. 

On what is undeniably a sad day, I reckon this is a pretty positive thing.
    Spot on @richardhomer .. have a wis. When Quo played locally they were one of the few bands my friends and I would say 'we've got to go' .. they also tended to come on later than advertised so we'd all have had a few beers at the bar to loosen our inhibitions so we could headbang away to the music. The band was also popular with girls which may also have been an attraction .. ;-)

Great days and memories .. RIP.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • A childhood and adulthood hero of mine, very much part of the reason I wanted to play a guitar..My band regularly play Paper Plane which always goes down well, but definitely room for another Quo song for our Hogmany gig!  Very sad though, but if ever there was a guy who seemed to love the life he led it was Rick Parfitt. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    What a shame...another one for 2016. Never known a year like it.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Great hair.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    RIP Rick :-(
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    My aunt came along to a guitar with us one year because Rick was there.  I have only ever known her as a sour faced old cow, but saw a totally different side to her when she was in site or Rick
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Paul_C said:
    :( Another very sad loss.

David Bowie - Vocals
    Prince - Vocals/Guitar
    Rick Parfitt - Guitar
    Lemmy - Bass
    Keith Emerson - Keyboards
    Rod Temperton - songwriting

If i was a famous aging drummer, Id be shitting bricks about now... :(
    Lemmy was last year. . .
    Greg Lake - bass then

RIP Rick, a legend leaves us bereft :(

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited December 2016

The first single I bought was "What you're proposing" in 1980 - I was 7 and had bought it with a record token (remember them?) that I had got for Christmas .

That was the only "Quo" I ever bought but played loads of their songs in bands through the years , the punters always loved it . RIP Rick .

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Jalapeno said:
    Paul_C said:
    :( Another very sad loss.

David Bowie - Vocals
    Prince - Vocals/Guitar
    Rick Parfitt - Guitar
    Lemmy - Bass
    Keith Emerson - Keyboards
    Rod Temperton - songwriting

If i was a famous aging drummer, Id be shitting bricks about now... :(
    Lemmy was last year. . .
    Greg Lake - bass then

RIP Rick, a legend leaves us bereft :(

Nope  I'd pick Andy Fraser over Greg Lake.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    RIP Rick, a real rock and roll legend.

I remember seeing Quo at the end of the pier in Hastings in the very early '70's.

Uproarious, glorious, ear ringing show.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Paul_C said:
    miserneil said:
    Nerine said:
    What were his white Marshall's? 

Fairly sure, judging by the pictures I have just seen on Facebook, that one of them looked to have an AC30 chassis in it. Only two of the four in the picture actually looked like Marshall amps. Even though they were all headshelled to look like a Marshall. 

Same with the cabs. What are they?? 
    @Nerine They were JCM800s and AC30 chassis in Marshall head shells. The cabs were 1 x 4x12 to each head, the rest of the cabs were filled with Lights (Parfitts idea i believe).

httpmmaiircdncom5685453jpg

Such a shame...RIP....

strangely enough I'm sure I've seen a picture where some of the JCM800's he was using were Kerry King signatures!