Rick Parfitt RIP :(

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Got the latest Quo acoustic CD from my wife this morning.  Really weird feeling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    One of those players you could never hope to emulate. 

Watching the live videos - what a monster right hand!

RIP
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    One of the interesting things about this thread is how so many people with widely differing musical tastes have such respect for him and Quo. Not one single negative comment, or 'sniffiness'/musical snobbery.

I truly believe if you don't enjoy Quo - you probably don't enjoy life. I've never bought any of their records - but they were truly infectious. 

On what is undeniably a sad day, I reckon this is a pretty positive thing.
    Sad news...

Great post Richard. The first gig I ever went to was a Quo gig aged around 12.

And like you I've never bought their material - but their music makes me smile.

I also subconsciously borrowed from Pictures of Matchstick Men for the first original song our band wrote together.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Just spent a good hour or so playing through the intro to "Whatever You Want"
    Lovely 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2016
    Just heard the very sad news that Rick Parfitt of Status Quo died on Xmas eve - my youngest daughter's birthday.  Listening to Piledriver was heavily influential on my guitar journey, and I even met him in 1974 when I had backstage tickets to see Quo at the Empire Pool Wembley and was given a signed copy of the Hello album by the band. 

A series of heart attacks and open heart surgery, and losing his (then) 2 yr old daughter Heidi in a swimming pool accident at his Surrey home meant he had more than his fair share of health problems and heartache.  He died in Spain age 68 from an infection.

Rick was a fantastic rhythm guitarist and I was genuinely shocked and saddened when I heard 10 mins ago. God's speed Rick - you were an institution and an inspiration. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)