Channel 4 Catchup now knows when you not watching the Ads...

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
First it was blocking AD Block now it seems that if you run a prog but click away to another tab so as not to have to endure the banality and massive volume of the constant Ads, it stalls and makes you reload and start all over again...
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6188
    tFB Trader
    The bit I don't I don't  understand with this is why you get MORE ads when watching online! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I simply don't bother with the Channel 4 app.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Just mute, walk off and come back a bit later. That's what I do on the rare occasions that I use it
  • Is there anything worth watching on C4 nowadays?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Soon they'll hack into your webcam so they know when youre looking... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    You realise someone has to pay for that content they provide.
  • So record the shows instead. 
  • Does anyone still watch C4 or ITV for that matter? TV is so crap these days, other than the news, i dont watch normal telly. (i do use out tv's  youtube and netfix apps)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24341
    Related image

"GO COMPARE.... GO COMPARE !! - YOU CAN BE SURE WHEN YOU INSURE WITH GO COMPARE !!"
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28356
    WezV said:
    But why should it be meeeeeeeee!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    WezV said:
    The adverts have the exact opposite effect with me. If they play an advert more than once a programme,  I hate the product.  

Anyway I pay my license fee, that's a far better funding model. For my money I get Radio 4 and excellent value it is.  Plus some TV thrown in Free.
  • When we had Virgin cable you could watch Channel 4 catch up ad free. The 4player thing is massively annoying. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2959
    Disable adblock, start show, mute and scroll screen so you just get the progress bar in view. wait until the countdown timer has reached zero = adverts over. enable sound again, scroll down to see player, re-enable adblock, full screen. ta-da. any other ads will be skipped and you didn't have to watch (or hear) the intro ads.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    WezV said:
    Yes - ad companies.

Since they have no way of knowing if you watch the ads, or if you do whether you respond positively or negatively, then it makes no practical difference to them if you deliberately skip them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited December 2016
    As someone who once made his entire living from creating the ads that go before, during and after the progs that you're talking about, can I just say...

...that I agree with everyone who hates online ads. They're pointlessly long, intrusive and as mentioned above, they just make people hate the product instead.

I was once asked to write some scripts for some ads to go before youtube vids. So I wrote a bunch of 7 second ads, on the basis that as soon as the 7 seconds were over, everyone clicked away. So my reasoning is that if you've only got them for 7 seconds, then make it over in 7 seconds and they won't mind so much.

The agency thought "Erm yeah, actually, I can see your point, but you can say more in 30 than you can in 7, so why not just say more?" The client said "What???? I'm paying for 30 seconds, I'm getting 30 fucking seconds! Get that maniac away from my products!"

Idiots. (You'd at least think they'd recognise that they could get four times as many 7 second ads for the same cost as one 30 second ad, but apparently not.)

I was once told that my job was to make people interested in the products, nothing else. If entertaining them makes them interested, fine, if facts make them interested, fine, if special offers make them interested, fine, just make them interested.

Pissing potential customers off was most definitely a no-no. Yet that seems to be the primary aim nowadays.

I now see why they don't use me any more.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I always wanted to learn how to play guitar, but the beginning was so slow and frustrating
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    edited December 2016
    TheOtherDennis said:

I now see why they don't use me any more.
    But they should, because you're exactly right.

Although don't go all Max Headroom on us… :)

It also reminds me of the radio ads which say something like "radio advertising is four times as effective as TV advertising in creating brand recognition". Yes it is… it's four times as effective at making people recognise the name of your brand AND THEN NEVER BUY IT. Possibly because the ads are four times as crap, I'm not sure.

Most ad people seem to not understand this for some reason. "All advertising is good advertising"… no it isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    "All advertising is good advertising"… no it isn't.
    I have spent over two thirds of my life trying to tell people that. It's astonishing how few people recognise it.

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • There are some YouTube people who don't seem to use embedded ads, but instead have plugs on the show - they even warn, so you can skip them! 

So you get an hour long uncut video that you want to watch, and there will be a couple of plugs, but they're relevant to the subject. Plus, as they're much shorter, you don't skip them anyway. And they're usually of good products that are worth considering, rather than the usual shit we're force fed. I discovered a product I didn't know existed from a chat show plug that was about 10 seconds long and decided it was worth a Google. Job done! 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:
    Yes - ad companies
    Yes - that was my point.