Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TV ..... films ...... books ...... stuff that troubled you as a kid.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
I remember being both disturbed and fascinated by The Singing Ringing Tree as a kid, although overall the fascination won out. The bear looked scary, the imp was worrying, the vivid colour and narration made it like nothing else. Weird but wonderful.

I remember being freaked out by 2 Dr Who episodes in particular: Killer Yeti's in the underground (I was almost 5), and one with the Master where there was a plastic sofa that killed people, a daffodil that squirted plastic over your face to kill you and a sculptured figure that came to life when heated up. Somebody bought it from a gallery, put it in the back of the car and drove off with the heating on. The figure came to life and strangled him.

I loved Dr Seuss books very much, but my older bro was freaked out by the pictures. He absolutely refused to have the books in our shared bedroom at night time. I remember him stomping off to tell my dad when I snuck one in to read.

There was a kids series - don't recall much about it now - but there were these pumpkins that could move, and they touched a kid and turned him into a pumpkin. Had several nightmares about that one! I'd love to know what it was???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Bagpuss creeped the hell out of me. He is one sinister motherf'er. 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Hamble.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5503
    The Moomins. It was weird enough anyway but then when they had a picnic and the tabletop was vertical and nothing slid off it, that freaked me.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    The theme tune to Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

I would run as fast as my teeny legs would take me, tears streaming down my cheeks..
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    The child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. When you spend your childhood being warned about strangers offering sweets this was proper scary.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The opening of the animated BFG film terrified me so much that I never saw beyond the first few minutes for years afterwards.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited December 2016
    Jim 'll Fix It

Some Dr Who (Planet of the Spiders was the first, with that chanting bit)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    Moondial.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    The Ice Warriors in Dr Who.

They whispered. I never trusted people who whispered, it was usually my two older brothers up to something.
  • I remember being 6 years old and Are You Afraid of The Dark came on TV. It was on Nickelodeon so didn't think it could be anything too bad. How wrong my 6 year old self was!

Check from 18:15

• Day of the Triffids
    Tripods
    Pipkin's
    Marmalade Atkins

All disturbed me in various ways.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited December 2016
    Quatermass when it was on the radio - I was about 6 or 7 at the time.
     I've never liked pantomimes, apart from one which is rarely performed.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited December 2016
    The opening titles to the ITV series Armchair Thriller
    The mini-series of Stephen's King's Salem's Lot
    The Sapphire And Steel episode with the faceless man in the photograph
    The Jagaroth in Doctor Who
    Most of Hammer House Of Horror (although they're all pretty laughable on rewatching as an adult)
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad used to listen to these on his hifi with the lights off, scared the shit out of me when I was 6 or 7:-

One Of These Days off Meddle
    Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    'The Changes' - some sort of post-apocalyptic sci-fi series that was on TV in the early 70s. I never actually watched it, the intro creeped me out too much. Apparently it's available on DVD now so I should really get around to watching it… it's been more than 40 years so it may be safe now :).

Also in a slightly different way that chilled me and really made me think rather than outright scared me - a couple of short stories by Ray Bradbury from a collection called R Is For Rocket, 'A Sound Of Thunder' (which is very famous and is the origin of the term Butterfly Effect) and 'Frost And Fire'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• American werewolf in London, my mothers one and only moment of insanity letting an 8 year old watch that.    I needed someone to accompany me to the toilet at night to check for the army monsters for at least a month and a half. 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited December 2016
    Hid behind sofa when round at friend's house to see first episode of Dr Who.
    Beatrix Potter's Tale of Samuel Whiskas - that's dark - the rat catches a kitten and trusses it up in a pie so his wife can bake it. It's all done behind the skirting board and under the floorboards. Grim.
    When my mum asked me if I'd name my son after my grandfather, Samuel, the story was the first thing that came to mind.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Doctor Who:
    The Giant Robot
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Seeds of Doom

Armchair Thriller:
    The Black Nun

• Terrahawks scared the shit out of me as a kid. Especially the witch looking woman