Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TV ..... films ...... books ...... stuff that troubled you as a kid.

What's Hot

Comments

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    • TV - Doctor Who  - the Daleks especially
    • Film - The Shuttered Room (not seen it as an adult but it had a lasting effect on both me and my sisters as kids)
    • Book - Let's Go Play At The Adams by Mendal W. Johnson, truly horrifying 
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This public information film scared me, Dark and Lonely Water:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The opening theme from Tales Of The Unexpected made me uneasy as you never knew what you were about to watch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsun said:
    Doctor Who:
    The Giant Robot
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Seeds of Doom

Armchair Thriller:
    The Black Nun

Fuck yeah! That nun story. The episode with the nun on the rocking chair at the end! I never watched the rest of the series as I was too scared to go to bed for months.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited December 2016
    Stephen King's The Stand gave me several nightmares when I was 17, the chief protagonist troubled me, my view of him was very very different to the portrayal in the lame film that followed years later. In my nightmares he used to sit in a tree in our garden that I could see from my bedroom window grinning with red eyes and a thin face but he wore a black cowboy that that cast a black shadow over his face so all I could see were his red eyes and teeth.

Hence my username.

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Watched the Russian roulette scene in: "The deer hunter" as a 10 year old.
    I had nightmares for years.
  • The Changes spooked the bejeesus out of me as a kid, yet I have fond memories of it. Same with The Tomorrow People, especially the story regarding the different coloured badges which set people against each other. It sounds rubbish in print, but I was genuinely scared by it as a nipper.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Film: Watership Down. 
    Tv: X-files Toombes(?) stretchy man who eats people 
    Book: I am David. I couldn't get my head around WW2. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Book:
    'Something wicked this way comes' by Ray Bradbury

I had a really vivid imagination as a kid and this spooked me out as a 9 year old

The film was a real let down unfortunately 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    The floating kid at the window in Salem's Lot.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    mellowsun said:
    Book:
    'Something wicked this way comes' by Ray Bradbury

I had a really vivid imagination as a kid and this spooked me out as a 9 year old

The film was a real let down unfortunately 
    More Bradbury: The Martian Chronicles (film version). That was quite creepy and unsettling for me.

Also The Man Who Fell To Earth… David Bowie's best acting role and a quite disturbing film. I must have been about twelve when I saw it I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Doctor Who
    An episode of the Bionic Man with, I think, a big robot tank and people with something like grey cardboard for faces.
    An episode of Blake's 7 with a headless unstoppable android. 
    Some western where a baddie held down a woman and started pouring sand down her throat so she produce some diamonds to bribe him. He proceeded to force those down her throat instead.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    The BBC used to do ghost stories at Xmas. The M R James ones like the Monkey's Paw and Whistle and I'll Come to You always scared the crap out of me but there was one particular one where a guy was looking for a bishop's treasure that really freaked me out for days. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    The Sapphire And Steel episode with the faceless man in the photograph

Good call! very creepy. Also the one where strange things happened (like kids disappearing) if you read old nursery rhymes in certain old buildings. 

..... Same with The Tomorrow People, especially the story regarding the different coloured badges which set people against each other. It sounds rubbish in print, but I was genuinely scared by it as a nipper.
    Yeah! That was disturbing!
    ennspek said:
    Doctor Who
    An episode of the Bionic Man ........... people with something like grey cardboard for faces.

Are you getting mixed up? Grey cardboard for faces sounds more like old Dr Who budget.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Gremlins 

• Jim'll fix it 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    wayneirie said:
    Jim'll fix it
    I always found Savile creepy, although I can't claim any special foresight as to what had actually been going on. Can't say I was surprised either though.

I also never liked Rolf Harris.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited December 2016
    A TV show called The Survivors gave me nightmares about rabies for years.  Before that, and mostly (mercifully) blanked from memory I had to be bundled out of a cinema after a full-on fit of traumatised screaming terror when my mum took little Magic Roundabout-loving me to see Dougal and the Blue Cat.  I've watched it since and even as an adult I find it evil and creepy.  The British Board of Film Classification were asleep on the job the day they gave that a U.

As a teenager I had panic attacks about nuclear war after watching the Day After and Threads, but that seems to be common to the whole generation.  I think my kids do the same about Global Warming.