Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Missed the bin men!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

•  There are 4 people and two cats here so two binbags over 2 binbags in 2 weeks is undoable. We do the recycling, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    We need to get serious about recycling. Nationally. it's a shambles.

We need:
    1) Common standards across the country. Without this we are just farting around. We've got a pretty good cross-UK representation on this forum, I can gurantee that recycling policies differ widely.
    2) All commercial packaging to be recyclable only unless there are very good reasons. And sensible restrictions should be placed on over-packaging.
    3) As many things as possible to have their ability to be recycled to be noted somewhere on the item. If we can have "CE", or country of manufacture, or washing instructions or serving suggestions then we can have recycling instructions.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    awwwww.....for me it's my Aunt Ethel
    tae be or not tae be
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    any neighbours on hollies still??  - use theirs!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• We have FOUR wheelie bins  (organic, paper/cardboard, glass/plastic and general). Our local council (Stockport)  is outstanding and rated no.7 in the UK at 60.7% recycling, resue or composting. The recycling centres take pretty much anything. We have collections for, amongst others,  appliances, scrap metal, timber, DIY/building waste, light fittings, batteries, shoes, books, etc etc. You name it they can recycle it. Anything that can't be recycled is incenerated to plasma for power generation.
  • I might lob stuff over the fence into the neighbours garden
    Don't do that, it's too obvious...Lob it over next door but one's garden.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12339
    Just dig a big hole in the garden and dump it in there every fortnight, in no time your house will have its own renewable energy source, and you will be king of the street.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Just dig a big hole in the garden and dump it in there every fortnight, in no time your house will have its own renewable energy source, and you will be king of the street.
    And the lowest house prices in a 200 mile radius. 
  • We have FOUR wheelie bins  (organic, paper/cardboard, glass/plastic and general). Our local council (Stockport)  is outstanding and rated no.7 in the UK at 60.7% recycling, resue or composting. The recycling centres take pretty much anything. We have collections for, amongst others,  appliances, scrap metal, timber, DIY/building waste, light fittings, batteries, shoes, books, etc etc. You name it they can recycle it. Anything that can't be recycled is incenerated to plasma for power generation.
    Well, I didn't know such a table existed. We are down at 193 ( of 352)at 42.2%. Number 352 is the Isles of Scilly with 14.1%.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    it should be cold enough to stop it stinking too much, just  take your new rubbish to the tip every 3 days until they come again

Or buy a £15 metal incinerator and burn the stuff in your bin
    Don't light it with petrol btw
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited December 2016
     There are 4 people and two cats here so two binbags over 2 binbags in 2 weeks is undoable. We do the recycling, too.
    West Lothian used to allow you a bigger bin if you had 2 or more kids in the household. Have a look on their website, they may still offer an upgrade so you could go back to the old size . You could also rent a bigger bin for £35 a year.

I agree the new ones are tiny. Some folks simply kept the old bins when they were rounding them up to replace and use them as temporary overflow management...

Unlike some we don't get glass recycling pickups here. We have grey (general waste), blue (dry recyclables, not glass), brown (garden waste) and the little food caddies no one seems to use, which get blown up the street and disappear.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28310
    I missed the bin lorry today.

I'll get over it. Might dump some in my dear old mum's bin when I go to ransack the rest of the workshop.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."