Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spotify......kindly educate me

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    but if you listen to a song as many times as I've listened to some of the songs on some of my CD's and divide the £x I spent for the CD by the number of tracks, then again by the number of times I've listened to each track, you're probably getting less than from Spotify
    But what about people like Eric Burden? 
    I bought one of his CDs for £8.50, played one track for about 20 seconds before remembering that he can't sing and sounds horrible.  He's earned the equivalent of £10,200 an hour from me.  I hope he's grateful. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I avoid Apple like the plague but Spotify seems like a great app. I'm off to ask Google ay nicely :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited December 2016
    I have just signed up for premium.

I don't have a lot of data on my phone contract so I find the option to download albums over wifi useful.

The price per month is about the cost of 2 albums so I think it's good value.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    d8m said:
    I have just signed up for premium.

I don't have a lot of data on my phone contract so I find the option to download albums over wifi useful.

The price per month is about the cost of 2 albums so I think it's good value.
    Yeah that's my view as well.

Currently am using Google Play Music, which is pretty much the same thing, although I think Spotify edges it for getting hold of the new releases first.  

Frank Ocean's Blonde album arrived on Google Play Music around 3 weeks after it was available on Spotify. 
  • The weekly personal recommendation playlist is the only reason I get in the car and drive to work on a Monday.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    how do you get it for £5?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    All of Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music, and (as of a a week or 2 ago in the UK) Amazon Music Unlimited offer a very similar core service at similar prices.

For me the reason that Spotify wins (I trialled them all) is how good the 'Discover Weekly', weekly 'New Release Radar' and the 4 different Daily playlists it creates for you based on things you add to your library or listen to. 

That said I'm trialling Amazon Music Unlimited because its integration with Alexa is so good. I am leaning toward sticking with Spotify though currently. I pay for a family account so that Mrs O's and the lads' listening doesn't screw up my suggestions and Spotify-generated playlists.

Just pay it - easily worth it. 

Red ones are better. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited January 2017
    how do you get it for £5?
    Hmmm, it was called "Spotify Unlimited" but that option seems to have gone.
    You could only get it at home, not on your phone or anything -- which suits me. 
    So I guess my £5 a month sub's days are numbered.  Boo!
  • Yeah I only see a £10 option.

TBH free isn't bad.
  • I was an early adopter and have had the premium for several years.  Haven't bought a CD in 5+ years.  I probably used to spend at least £50 a month on CDs so it's saved me a fortune while giving me a much wider range of listening options than I had before.  Very occasionally an album I'd like to hear isn't available but I can't motivate myself to buy it when I know there's hundreds of interesting albums available at the click of a mouse that I haven't heard.

Easy to make playlists, and if friends are round you can make a playlist to play during a meal and then let them have their own choice of music after.  And your living room isn't strewn with open CD cases when you wake up with a hangover next day.

One great function people new to it may be unaware of, is that you can make hundreds of songs available for offline listening.  Means you can store albums or playlists on an IPad or phone and then play them back through headphones on a train, plane or when out for a walk, without needing a 3G or other connection.

It's true it means you don't own music but I have about 2,000 cds stored in the house that never get played and are probably worth very little now, so ownership isn't something I value or miss.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    It's great for the consumer. Not so good for the artist.
    Depends how you look at it; Spotify pays less than CD sales but more than radio.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom