Sir Ray Davies

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8712
New Year's Honours list is out
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Also: Sir Andy Murray, Sir Mo Farah and Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Please ammend the title @Roland to -NOT DEAD!!!

Had me worried
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yeah I think "NOT DEAD" on the end might be an idea.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Well done Lynne Faulds-Wood
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
     Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill.

Is that in recognition of her apology to Ched Evans?  

Thought not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    Agreed - anyone who can fold wood with their bare hands is not to be messed with....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What a ridiculous load of old pomp and tosh. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ewal said:
    For turning an award down? I think the honours system is a load of rubbish, but making a big thing about turning it down is more to do with self-aggrandising than anything else.  'Look at me! I agreed for my nomination to go forward then turned it down when it was accepted! Aren't I special?'

If she didn't want it, why agree for her nomination to be considered?  Why not just say No at that stage? The reason is that you then can't do the grandstanding bit later ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:
    ewal said:
    For turning an award down? I think the honours system is a load of rubbish, but making a big thing about turning it down is more to do with self-aggrandising than anything else.  'Look at me! I agreed for my nomination to go forward then turned it down when it was accepted! Aren't I special?'

If she didn't want it, why agree for her nomination to be considered?  Why not just say No at that stage? The reason is that you then can't do the grandstanding bit later ;)
    You don't agree to anything going forward, the nomination is independent of the nominee and they should be totally oblivious.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ThorpyFX said:
    Chalky said:
    ewal said:

You don't agree to anything going forward, the nomination is independent of the nominee and they should be totally oblivious.
    What!! There's a whole industry of people who will nominate you and complete the application .. my company has been paid by to get people a gong. They were fully aware it was going on. You do get told if your successful and you can quietly turn it down but a lot of these gongs are rewards for support etc. That's why Labour won't scrap them.

I know people who have folders marked 'project gong' .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    I know people who have folders marked 'project gong'

Pleading guilty on this one...

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Fretwired said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Chalky said:
    ewal said:

What!! There's a whole industry of people who will nominate you and complete the application .. my company has been paid by to get people a gong. They were fully aware it was going on. You do get told if your successful and you can quietly turn it down but a lot of these gongs are rewards for support etc. That's why Labour won't scrap them.

And you would obviously know more about the process than Major Adrian Thorpe MBE, right?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    It's a load of old bollocks. 

Case in point:

Philip Green
    Fred Goodwin
    Samantha Cameron's hair stylist
    Alfred John Smith, facilities manager at 10 Downing Street who has been awarded an OBE for “services to No.10”
    anyone in entertainment with 5 minutes of fame

It's a stinking crock of sh*te as far as I am concerned. Too many gongs for worthless people who are part of 'the network', utterly cack businessmen who stomp over others to get to the top, people who buy one, people who just 'did their job' and got paid handsomely for it anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    mart said:
    Fretwired said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Chalky said:
    ewal said:

And you would obviously know more about the process than Major Adrian Thorpe MBE, right?
    If you think the process is totally independent then may I suggest you go and join Sir Axeman in the 911 conspiracy thread. Cameron gave his mates gongs and it's well known that if you donate cash to a political party you will get something in return. And as I said my company has been employed by people to write their submissions for a gong - totally true.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Fretwired said:
    mart said:
    Fretwired said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Chalky said:
    ewal said:

If you think the process is totally independent then may I suggest you go and join Sir Axeman in the 911 conspiracy thread. Cameron gave his mates gongs and it's well known that if you donate cash to a political party you will get something in return. And as I said my company has been employed by people to write their submissions for a gong - totally true.
    My brother got a gong too @mart, which is why I know the process, as does @Fretwired. Maybe its different if you're in the military?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Fretwired said:
    I'm not even sure what you could be trying to mean by "totally independent" but sure, it's obvious that many of the honours are done to return political favours, and Cameron excelled himself at abusing the honours system.

But I do also believe that some people get honours deservedly, including most of the OBEs and MBEs that I know personally - these are people who have made a genuine contribution to society and are not the sort to push themselves forward to get recognition. And for cases like those I believe that @ThorpyFX knows how the process works, so I trust his word on it more than I would my own cynical instincts.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    No Dave Davies!!!
    mart said:
    Fretwired said:
    I'm not even sure what you could be trying to mean by "totally independent" but sure, it's obvious that many of the honours are done to return political favours, and Cameron excelled himself at abusing the honours system.

But I do also believe that some people get honours deservedly, including most of the OBEs and MBEs that I know personally - these are people who have made a genuine contribution to society and are not the sort to push themselves forward to get recognition. And for cases like those I believe that @ThorpyFX knows how the process works, so I trust his word on it more than I would my own cynical instincts.
    Obviously - I know a few OBEs and MBEs who are totally deserving - they have done a lot for their local communities and charity. However, for those in power the system is relatively easy to manipulate - it tends to be more knighthoods etc. Even Corbyn is complaining ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/new-year-honours-jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-latest-conservative-party-mockery-cronyism-a7502826.html

• I think it is perfectly valid to make a statement by publicly turning down an honour. 

• ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Totally agree Dave - I would do the same. It's a broken elitist anachronistic system. 
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience