What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I'd ask if there was a cash alternative
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    I can only talk from personal experience, in the military it is massively kept quiet and people are really under a lot of pressure to not reveal any nominations. This is because the odds of a nomination being successful are very very low. I didn't find out until the day the awards were released, although I was supposed to be told the week before. 

Whilst at staff college we had a brief from the civil service office who process the nominations. Ultimately they attempt to ensure fairness and check for deservedness and fraud etc.

On the whole I think that they do a great job because for every headline person you know, there are loads that you don't know, many of which have worked for decades giving their time selflessly to charities etc. 

As to the perceived abuse by politicians etc, this is the bit that I find hard to stomach, and ultimately it seems to dilute the public opinion as to the awards which is a massive shame.  

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    My brother got wind of the nomination, then later the chat whose subtext was "You aren't going to turn it down if you get it, are you?" Then about a week before the honours announcement he got the briefing, embargoed of course.

So plenty of chances to say No Thanks.

That's why I'm cynical of those who turn them down in the self-aggrandising dramatic gesture. And of course, if they'd said No early on then some proverbial old Lollipop Lady might have got the award instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What a ridiculous load of old pomp and tosh. 
    + one on that. Having to address someone as Lord or Sir, yeah right, I know what I'd like to call them....

and it rhymes with James Blunt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    proggy said:
    What a ridiculous load of old pomp and tosh. 
    + one on that. Having to address someone as Lord or Sir, yeah right, I know what I'd like to call them....

and it rhymes with James Blunt.
    You would call someone that just because someone bestowed a title on them? What a lovely thing to do.

Some are undeserving, sure.  Then there are others that do deserve such as Sir Tim Berners- Lee who changed the world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    anyone who can write songs about cullinary favourites probbo deserves it...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom