Boss Chorus CE2 v CE3

What's Hot
eldarvanyareldarvanyar Frets: 32
I have noticed that the Boss CE2 costs a lot more than the Boss CE3

Is there a reason for this and are they worth the extra money or should I look at something else? 

Thanks 
'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    edited January 2017
    The CE-2 has a deeper, richer tone than the CE-3, though the CE-3 has a stereo output and a brighter, shimmery tone. Both are amongst my favourite choruses.
     I'm not sure of how many of each model were made, but the '2 is the older of the two and generally speaking, people prefer the tone. I'm one of the few that prefers the '3. I suspect that age and desirability play a big part in the pricing.

There has been a lot of debate as to why the '2 sounds richer than the '3, with some concluding that it's the BBD Chips which make the difference (the CE-2 uses the MN3007/3101 chipset, while the CE-3 uses the MN3207/3102 set). The circuits in the two choruses are very similar, apart from these chips. However, I read an interesting article where someone swapped the few differing components in a CE-3 (excepting the BBD chipset) and ended up with an almost indentical sounding pedal, which suggests that it's these component values that make the sonic difference. I'm tempted to get hold of a second CE-3 and experiment on it, if I can find one cheap enough.

I also like the Ibanez CS-9 stereo chorus and BC-9/BCL Bi-Mode Chorus.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Thanks Lasermokey (love the name) very comprehensive and insightful 
    Are there any good CE2 clones out there?
    'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

• GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    Thanks Lasermokey (love the name) very comprehensive and insightful 
    Are there any good CE2 clones out there?
    The TC SCF is very close (some say better).

If you want real mindblowing chorus, try the legendary CE1. In a different world to anything else.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    The Boss Wazacraft CE-2 sounds pretty close to the real thing - and gives you the option of CE-1 sounds as well.

I own a modified CE-2 - it's a great sounding pedal - but early Japanese ones seem to command high prices, even if they look like they've been run over by a steam roller. 
  • I have an MIT CE-2 - they're pretty reasonably priced; I got it on here for £75. A/B'd next to the pricier MIJ, general consensus says that there's no difference regardless of cork-sniffery. I don't know as I've not done so myself, but what I do know is that mine sounds bloody wonderful. Not exactly brimming with options for variation, it simply does what it does incredibly well. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I've been using a CE-3 recently and find I prefer it over the CE-2, esp. for bass guitar. There's a greater variety of sounds available, including a weird pitch vibrato. @lasermonkey describes them very accurately, the CE-3 in stereo is a thing of beauty.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Another vote for the CE-3 here

Lovely washy chorus, especially in stereo
    Stop crying, start buying
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've had both and still have a ce2.    Both are great and have a similar sound - in a mix you would need very good ears to tell them apart.   Not sure I could justify the extra for a ce2 if I was buying one now.   

I really like the old ibanez cs9 as well and I'll add one when I see one for a decent price.     
  • Love my CE-2. Haven't taken it off my board since I first got it :) 
    Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

• I liked the ce-3, loved the ce-2 but my favourite was the dod FX 65. 

Make of that what you will. It is a bit quieter in terms of hiss/noise, stereo out if that's your bag. The switch feels flimsier but it sounds good enough for me to overlook it... Just. I think it'll go one day! 

I have an unhealthy love for chorus, though. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've commented before on my hatred of chorus so I'll stay out of this one.

• Sassafras said:
    I've commented before on my hatred of chorus so I'll stay out of this one.

At least no one has suggested a RAT yet.........
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    The TC SCF is much brighter and more transparent than a CE2. It's the best chorus ever made in my view but I do occasionally miss the Boss and now have the Mooer clone which is very very close as far as I can tell 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    I had a CE-3 back in the 80s, and when I got another recently (thanks to ThePrettyDamned) it did take me right back to that sound - but in the end I couldn't quite get happy with it… it was slightly too hissy even for my usual tolerance, and took away too much bottom-end - oddly, more noticeably on guitar than on bass! I was going to keep it for bass, but I A/B'd it with my modern CE-3B and to my surprise the B just sounded better, so I sold the old one to a friend.

I've currently got a very early (silver screw, which personally I dislike the look of!) CE-2 on loan, and I *still* don't like it that much - unlike the CE-3 it's somehow just slightly too 'syrupy' for want of a better word. I always did think so, which is why I had the 3 originally. Not sure why, when they're so close, maybe it's exactly that slight extra bottom end. I can't decide if I prefer it to the 3 or not...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Totally agree the CE2 is syrupy. That's actually why the Mooer clone is a great little pedal. Has a level control which is a blend

• I found the CE2 great clean, but didn't get on with it at all with dirt.

Am I the only person that prefers the analog CE5?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ICBM said:
    I had a CE-3 back in the 80s, and when I got another recently (thanks to ThePrettyDamned) it did take me right back to that sound - but in the end I couldn't quite get happy with it… it was slightly too hissy even for my usual tolerance, and took away too much bottom-end - oddly, more noticeably on guitar than on bass! I was going to keep it for bass, but I A/B'd it with my modern CE-3B and to my surprise the B just sounded better, so I sold the old one to a friend.

I've currently got a very early (silver screw, which personally I dislike the look of!) CE-2 on loan, and I *still* don't like it that much - unlike the CE-3 it's somehow just slightly too 'syrupy' for want of a better word. I always did think so, which is why I had the 3 originally. Not sure why, when they're so close, maybe it's exactly that slight extra bottom end. I can't decide if I prefer it to the 3 or not...

Try a dod fx65 ,- thicker than a ce3, slightly less hiss (although I have a fairly high toleranc, the ce3 was a hair much - I wonder if it's a poor copy?) And you can adjust the time control which adjusts how warbly it goes. I think it has magic parts inside (that ce2 chip) but maybe not. I doubt the chip is especially important anyway, much like those delay chips.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    I had an FX65 years ago - I had an entire DOD pedalboard, because I worked for a dealer who did them and not Boss. Most of the pedals were very similar in quality to their Boss equivalents, but generally sounded slightly warmer and more subtle, if I remember right. I liked their analogue delay a lot too.

From memory I had the Wah, Classic Tube, Supra Distortion, Phasor (they did spell it like that!), Chorus, Delay and the Gate/Loop. I can't quite remember why I sold them now, in fact...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I had one of the last Japanese CE2s which is the only guitar related item I sort of regret selling. I don't really use floor mounted pedals that much so it sat in its box for several years before I flogged it along with a DM2 that I really didn't like too much (heresy I know) for a tidy sum :) 
    The CE2 did have its own sound though which nothing else I have gets close too.
  • I think that syrupy is exactly the word to describe the CE-2, and I very nearly used it myself! If it really isn't the BBD chipset that causes the difference in sound (compared to the CE-3), then it just goes to show how how a few components can make a big difference.
     The one thing that bothers me about the CE-2 is that the fastest mod rate isn't really fast enough, IMHO. It's easy enough to bugger about with, but I'm surprised at Boss's component selection in this case. Obviously, the same is true for the CE-3, but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....