Boss Chorus CE2 v CE3

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I think that syrupy is exactly the word to describe the CE-2, and I very nearly used it myself! If it really isn't the BBD chipset that causes the difference in sound (compared to the CE-3), then it just goes to show how how a few components can make a big difference.
     The one thing that bothers me about the CE-2 is that the fastest mod rate isn't really fast enough, IMHO. It's easy enough to bugger about with, but I'm surprised at Boss's component selection in this case. Obviously, the same is true for the CE-3, but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much!

I don't know the circuits but I'm always a bit careful when believing stories about magic chips... 

I really liked the visual sound h2o v2. That's a modded ce-2 circuit, goes really fast and deep if you want it to but absolutely can sound identical to a ce-2 to my ears. Very thick and "syrupy" (it is definitely the most appropriate word). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    I've been using the CE-3 to output a stereo feed to a DD-7, then stereo out to a pair of Pathfinder 15s with wide separation and it sounds fabulous. the CE-3 does introduce a bit more noise than I'd prefer (it seems to be earth related as touching any pedal or strings cures it).
  • My CE-3 is used in stereo too. It feeds into a Line 6 Echo Park, Hardwire DL-8, Hardwire RV-7 and Zoom MS70CDR and then into a Twin Reverb and AD30.
     I always use the CE-3 if I'm using a flanger too. I find that by putting it after the flanger, it removes the harshness that can occur with flangers, and adds some lovely harmonic richness which sounds glorious in stereo.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    ICBM said:
    I had an FX65 years ago - I had an entire DOD pedalboard,...
    From memory I had the Wah, Classic Tube, Supra Distortion, Phasor (they did spell it like that!), Chorus, Delay and the Gate/Loop. I can't quite remember why I sold them now, in fact...
    If you come across the DOD FX20c Stereo Phaser, it sounds very good with bass, I've never found another that sounds quite like it, very thick sounding and defined, without the harshness that feedback/regen controls can induce.

• johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I owned a CE3 and briefly owned a CE2. I would buy another CE-2 in a heartbeat - wonderful pedal IMO. I will never again own a CE-3. Its great to hear that other people love theirs, but I honestly found it to be without any positive attributes - dreadful pedal IMO.