Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Veganuary WTF???

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5019
    Ther eis a certain irony that being  vegan is a choice made using the brain power we evolved after learning to cook meat :)

But going vegan can't hurt. Unless you like milk. Vegan dairy substitutes taste like polyfiller. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    axisus said:
    grungebob said:
    I do some times battle with myself over eating meat but I genuinely hate vegetables, I know everyone as  kid didnt eat their veg as it wasnt as nice a chocolate etc but I gag eating the stuff.
    I try to be as healthy as possible with exercise and my diet but I just can not eat salads or veg like most folk without vomiting. 

My wife loves veg and has tried to educate my tastebuds for the past 10 years but has now (finally) understood I do suffer physical (maybe physiological i.e its all in my head) discomfort from eating them.

to get around this most of my meals are stews and the like where the veg is grated or cut up small in a sauce that hides their taste.

I honestly do get envious watching people eat colourful salads but I just cant eat them. 
    Wow, that is 100% me! I would literally throw up if I tried to eat veg, it would be like a can of worms. I so wish I could but it is a MASSIVE psychological barrier for some reason.
    You two could definitely be vegans then, i have a 22-stone mate who's a vegan, he lives entirely on oven chips.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Reverend said:
    But going vegan can't hurt. Unless you like milk. Vegan dairy substitutes taste like polyfiller. 
    Oatly

That is all
    (coming from a fully paid up carnivore and dairy consumer)
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28674
    Chalky said

Logically you can only assert that if you know how every individual will react.  I'd send you a link to read but I can't be arsed.
    You seem to be confusing classical logic with formal mathematical logic.

Worth reading up on that - you'll look less silly once you understand the difference. Otherwise you may end up confusing all sorts of things with similar names and serve your dinner party guests toilet cakes.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said

Logically you can only assert that if you know how every individual will react.  I'd send you a link to read but I can't be arsed.
    You seem to be confusing classical logic with formal mathematical logic.

Worth reading up on that - you'll look less silly once you understand the difference. Otherwise you may end up confusing all sorts of things with similar names and serve your dinner party guests toilet cakes.
    Dinner party guests? Oh no milord, only the pompous have dinner parties.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Is straw vegan?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:

You can see how I might have made that assumption about you then. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said:

You can see how I might have made that assumption about you then. :)
    I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em down.

But @Grunfeld was right, I am deliberately portraying "animal rights activists" as illogical idiots.

On a philosophy course I did back in the 90s we had a thought experiment. Imagine the National Lottery ran a special competition where the winner could control which of two charities received £10m. You could give it to either an animal protection charity or a famine relief charity. There were clear assurances and evidence that the £10m would directly save either many animals from cruelty or death if given to the animal charity, or many people from starving to death if given to the famine relief charity.  If you were the winner, which charity would you select?

Chalky said:

But @Grunfeld was right, I am deliberately portraying "animal rights activists" as illogical idiots.
    And some of them certainly are.

My ex liked that sort of philosophical question; had she asked I'd have said "I don't play the lottery" and refused to engage, because I knew she did it in order to look smarter than me. I think she might well have been smarter than me, but I was more devious. The only winning move is not to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I'm a bit new here, but does this forum have a "Popcorn" Smiley? :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Will someone please explain "strawman"...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

You guys are such a scream.

<Goes off to repair sides.>

Rocker said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Rocker said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I'm surprised nobody, as far as I know, has made a horror movie called Straw Man. It just seems like a ready-made title - there are loads of horror movies featuring scarecrows.
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said:

My ex liked that sort of philosophical question; had she asked I'd have said "I don't play the lottery" and refused to engage, because I knew she did it in order to look smarter than me. I think she might well have been smarter than me, but I was more devious. The only winning move is not to play.
    Sadly that option is not available.  Rather like those morality tests where if you don't make a choice, then both groups of innocents die. Who would not automatically choose to save the proverbial starving children? (Cue Bob saying "...just give me your fucking money!")
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm vegetarian and hardly eat vegetables, which I'll try to rectify this year. 

I'd choose the starving people fwiw. I don't think it makes me a bad vegetarian. But then the world needs fewer people...
    My V key is broken
    Chalky said:
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said:

Sadly that option is not available.  Rather like those morality tests where if you don't make a choice, then both groups of innocents die. Who would not automatically choose to save the proverbial starving children? (Cue Bob saying "...just give me your fucking money!")
    Just before xmas I read a story in the press about public reactions to assault. The usual "Would you help if you saw someone being attacked" type poll.

There were lots of demographics shown. Age, sex, religion etc.

More people said they would intervene in the case of an animal being attacked than a human.

I'll see if I can find it. It was quite interesting.