Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hartnoll Guitars closing

What's Hot
Just seen on Facebook.  Not bought anything from there before but seems to have been quite a long standing shop if I'm not wrong. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great guys and a real shame - saw the same post 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sad news.   I got my LP custom from them and they couldn't have been more helpful.  
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2017
    Bought my Les Paul Standard from Jamie - he ordered it direct from Gibson for me. Nice guy and great service. Sad they are closing.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I know them well. They closed the Torquay branch a few years ago, Dave, the manager went to Mansons in Exeter.
    The Plymouth branch was a bit run down and not in a good 'footfall' area.
    I think they had a Taunton branch as well. They did lots online and Mr 'Hartnoll' isn't that old
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Jamie started selling bits and bobs on the old Intermusic forum before buying his first bricks and mortar shop , he got a lot of business on the old forums , shame to see the closures of his shops .

• Yeah real shame, JamieH is a true gent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw this on FB as well, real shame.  Bought a Strat a few years ago from Hartnols, came with the best setup I have ever seen.  Tough times in retail.  Wish them all the best.

• JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Seems like all the independents are closely lately.
    Soon all we'll be left with is a dystopian future, populated solely by a giant chain of Guitarguitar megastores.
    Think I'll take up clarinet instead.
  • Wow.. I remember him opening it. Can't remember if I bought anything from him but I know the old forums had a lot of customers! Real shame.  But I hope he keeps his chin  up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Oh sad news.  I bought my ES-330 from Jamie in 2009, by post.  It was beautifully set up, and a totally hassle-free transaction.

Best wishes, hope they can work something out.
  • Jackobean said:
    Soon all we'll be left with is a dystopian future, populated solely by a giant chain of Guitarguitar megastores.
    Yep, Sheehans in Leicester went last week and they had been going years.. seems like you have to be a box shifter co. Nowadays to survive 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27110
    Wow, that's a real shame. I've bought loads from Jamie. Always brilliant. A big loss :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jackobean said:
    Yep, Sheehans in Leicester went last week and they had been going years.. seems like you have to be a box shifter co. Nowadays to survive 
    Now that's also a real shame, Sheehan's was my go-to shop when I lived in Leicester back in the early 90's :(
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Regarding Sheehans... Did Mr Sheehan sell the business a few years ago?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    sad news as again a good independent goes along side Sheehans of Leicester in the same week  - many reasons behind such a demise and I'm sure it sadly won't be the last - Obviously the box shifting revolution has a major impact, but also the fact that larger manufactures stocking policies are now designed to be that you are either 'on board or not' - For example Marshall just over a year ago went from something like 400 UK outlets to around 100 - Marshall's policy not shops choice - Not trying to single out Marshall as the only 'bad boy' but same applies to nearly all major brands - Look how many big/medium size towns'cities no longer have an outlet that sells new Epiphone and Gibson Guitars - Very tough for many independents 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    - For example Marshall just over a year ago went from something like 400 UK outlets to around 100 - Marshall's policy not shops choice - Not trying to single out Marshall as the only 'bad boy' but same applies to nearly all major brands - Look how many big/medium size towns'cities no longer have an outlet that sells new Epiphone and Gibson Guitars - Very tough for many independents 
    I wonder what prompts this decision, surely having 400 dealers was a good thing for marshall, i wonder how they'll shift the same amount of amplifiers with 1/4 of the shops?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    sad news as again a good independent goes along side Sheehans of Leicester in the same week  - many reasons behind such a demise and I'm sure it sadly won't be the last - Obviously the box shifting revolution has a major impact, but also the fact that larger manufactures stocking policies are now designed to be that you are either 'on board or not' - For example Marshall just over a year ago went from something like 400 UK outlets to around 100 - Marshall's policy not shops choice - Not trying to single out Marshall as the only 'bad boy' but same applies to nearly all major brands - Look how many big/medium size towns'cities no longer have an outlet that sells new Epiphone and Gibson Guitars - Very tough for many independents 
    I was in Manchester this week and was surprised to see both Forsythes and Dawsons stocking Fender and Martin. Prices appeared identical - perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise?

It seems that manufacturers will eventually become retailers. I'm sure major cities could support a 'Fender Store' or 'Gibson Store' if either maker decided not to supply independents.

These are very unwelcome developments, as far as I'm concerned....
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    less stock sitting around, less hassle, less risk i would have thought, I suspect the larger "players" will be pushing for a future with less small shops as online purchases grow and guitar buyers are less inclined to feel the need to go and try before they buy.....same for amps etc especially with the distance selling regs allowing us to try before we buy.

Shame i used to pop into Hartnolls when i was in Plymouth, nice folks in there.
  • ThorpyFX said:
    - For example Marshall just over a year ago went from something like 400 UK outlets to around 100 - Marshall's policy not shops choice - Not trying to single out Marshall as the only 'bad boy' but same applies to nearly all major brands - Look how many big/medium size towns'cities no longer have an outlet that sells new Epiphone and Gibson Guitars - Very tough for many independents 
    I wonder what prompts this decision, surely having 400 dealers was a good thing for marshall, i wonder how they'll shift the same amount of amplifiers with 1/4 of the shops?

It costs time and money to manage relationships with shops. If a manufacturer can sell the same volume (big 'if') with fewer retailers to manage, they can reduce their sales and admin costs... leading to increased margin.  Doesn't always work in practice!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ThorpyFX said:

Easy - internet demos and companies like Andertons. Fewer dealers which sell more via a shop and online are cheaper and easier to deal with. To be honest the likes of Hartnolls stands no chance against the buying power of Andertons. And before the pound fell how many people on this forum were singing the praises of Thomann.

I have recently bought a Roland Jazz Chorus amp and a Strymon Riverside on the back of internet demos. There wasn't a store near me that had either item to demo so I went to Andertons and bought online..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom