New Build Day.. Black Korina Double Cut FINISHED (with quick demo)

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Lovely guitar, lovely finish - well done, sir!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

Thank you man.. Im real happy with it... 

And just out of interest I went back to my initial design...

Not too bad huh :)

http://i.imgur.com/JFDxwQY.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    I quite like it, even with the sideways grain.   

You are still going to need to give it a few years before calling it a successful idea though.  It needs to endure real life a bit longer.  The African walnut one concerns me more as I assume it's quarter sawn
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Good stuff Rabs, I like that shape, well done on reaching the finishing post with the other stuff going on.. similar here so know how that feels.
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader

Cheers guys...  And yes.. I guess it does need time...  But I still think it will be ok.  I guess we will see and if anyone actually buys one I will make sure to mention it  :) 

Ohh and one last bit of info.. I weighed it today..  A perfect 8.5lbs 

http://i.imgur.com/ec4rJ1H.jpg

tFB Trader

And for anyone who missed the beginning of this build.. (since photoarses killed the pics) heres the video  :)

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I quite like it, even with the sideways grain.   

You are still going to need to give it a few years before calling it a successful idea though.  It needs to endure real life a bit longer.  The African walnut one concerns me more as I assume it's quarter sawn

Well this has been sold (two days after I finished it :) )...  But I had already been over all of this with the owner..  I said what had been mentioned on here and he was still happy to buy it.. 

So there we go... Onwards and upwards to the walnut version  :D

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited September 2017
    That's really smart looking  

I actually love the look of the cross-grain although share the concern about long-term stability having worked on a old Alembic-syle bass that had a cross grain top and had literally pulled itself apart.  Having said that, it was a cross-grain top on a straight-grain back so the relative humidity/temperature movements were opposing each other rather than being in sync.

I personally don't think the owner will have any difficulties with this but I think you are right to have explained it all to him, just in case.
    tFB Trader
    That's really smart looking  

I actually love the look of the cross-grain although share the concern about long-term stability having worked on a old Alembic-syle bass that had a cross grain top and had literally pulled itself apart.  Having said that, it was a cross-grain top on a straight-grain back so the relative humidity/temperature movements were opposing each other rather than being in sync.

I personally don't think the owner will have any difficulties with this but I think you are right to have explained it all to him, just in case.

Cheers and yes I don't think it will be an issue.. I also had some people worried that there may be an effect on the vibration going between the neck and the body since the grains are going the opposite ways...  But that didn't turn out to be an issue.. It sustains really well. In fact when I went to the owners home to see what he thought, as I walked through the door he said, wow that guitar really sings :) 

We will see in time. Ive told him if theres any issues at all to get in touch straight away.