laquer checking with a blade

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    I believe MJT use a razorblade for a lot of ther checking (largely because they offered me options of extent and "style", which they couldn't do if it was a cold/hot method).

I wouldn't want to do it myself but it can certainly look very good when done right.

Jazzmaster
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    TBH the reason I started doing any relic work was for repairs on old instruments. I'm happy to go more extreme on stuff I have built myself.

@stickyfiddle MJT have a checking gallery on there website and there are some which are almost pinstriped and some which are very short and random directions.  Totally different styles.  I would guess they use any of the 3 methods described above depending on the final result needed.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    WezV said:
    TBH the reason I started doing any relic work was for repairs on old instruments. I'm happy to go more extreme on stuff I have built myself.

@stickyfiddle MJT have a checking gallery on there website and there are some which are almost pinstriped and some which are very short and random directions.  Totally different styles.  I would guess they use any of the 3 methods described above depending on the final result needed.  
    Ah, you may be right! Mine certainly looks quite different to the genuine cold-weather checking on the Cabronita you did for me, which is very tight and small scale. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793

Yeah, the Cabronita is different again.  I assume its because it was semi hollow and the wood was thinner - more likely to move quickly with the temperature extremes.