cites ?????

What's Hot
jmcustomguitarsjmcustomguitars Frets: 102
edited January 2017 in Guitar

Hello 
i never had done the CITES permit, are here some luthier that had done this already?

Do someone as some info?

I need to sell a guitar to canada but i had brought the wood last year....

thank's

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Just a thought but this might do better in the Guitars section. This one is usually for Help & Feedback with the forum itself.

I'm sorry i know nothing about what you need but there are a few here who might and they're more likely to see it in 'Guitars'.

Hover over the top right of your post and look for a cog shaped icon, hover over that and drop down to 'EDIT'. Next screen there will be a drop down box to edit the section you want it posting in, select 'Guitar' and save.

Hope that helps and best of luck with your guitars.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Nobody has done it yet.  They aren't ready to issue permits yet.   Maybe early February I was told.

There are a few threads hereabouts that have more information.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424
    The head of the MIA said recently that while export/import is "officially" restricted as of 2 Jan, not very many countries are actually enforcing yet as most have to ratify the new rules into law. Up to you whether you want to risk it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    So import/export restricted from 2nd Jan but they're not ready to issue permits yet. Sounds very well organised.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    dindude said:
    So import/export restricted from 2nd Jan but they're not ready to issue permits yet. Sounds very well organised.
    Caused panic and stopped rosewood trade pretty instantly.

seems quite well organised to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • well i sent a email to the guys and nothing till now

this is very bad because are ppl, luthiers, that depending of selling instruments to pay the bills :(

in europe we are fine, for now, but if we need to sell outside of europe then is impossible to sell now, and we can send but is a risk and a very high risk.

i have a client waiting for a guitar in canada and this situation doest help 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
     I was looking at buying a 1949 ES-300 from Elderly Instruments in the USA.  They simply will not ship to the EU now .
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    ESchap said:
     I was looking at buying a 1949 ES-300 from Elderly Instruments in the USA.  They simply will not ship to the EU now .
    That's not new.  That's been the case for a while.  EU goes over and above CITES on BRW.  They use the 1947 ivory date for BRW sales, despite the fact that BRW didn't go on the list until 1992, and PRS (among others) were still legally selling new guitars with old stock wood well after 2000.

Not sure when the EU changed their rules but it's been the case for a few years.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    crunchman said:
    ESchap said:
    That's not new.  That's been the case for a while.  EU goes over and above CITES on BRW.  They use the 1947 ivory date for BRW sales, despite the fact that BRW didn't go on the list until 1992, and PRS (among others) were still legally selling new guitars with old stock wood well after 2000.

Not sure when the EU changed their rules but it's been the case for a few years.

I'd better look for a pre-1947 then ...
    ESchap said:
    crunchman said:
    ESchap said:

I'd better look for a pre-1947 then ...
    You will be ok if you can find post 47 already within the EU.  It's sales across borders that are the problem.
  • hello its me again about cites

Is there some UK luthiers that had done this?
    I would need some help about Cites application export permit.
    I saw on the GOV website lots of info but is not easy to understand .
    I have woods in my shop and guitars already made as well, using rosewood all been purchased in 2016 (or before), what will I need to do to apply the export permit on these guitars? Of course when i purchased the wood Cites permit was not needed at the time.

How much are the fees? i saw lots of different info and i'm not sure what is the one to pay.

i've sent some emails to gov's email but no answer so far. i reckon about one moth by this time.

Even the application i'm not sure how to fill :(

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader

When I spoke to APHA before Christmas they said currently there are no certifications in place for import/.export licenses in UK. That was supposed to change Jan/Feb.
    The problem is if you are exporting out of the EU, the destination country may require an export permit, so until the EU sorts itself out, you may be stuck.
    The CITES helpline at APHA is 03000 200 301. Give them a call - they are very helpful.

Some info in this previous thread, specifically the post by DamianP
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1335218/#Comment_1335218

• thank you gavin
    yes i read about that, i just looking for some update, i have a guitar to send to canada and i'm concerned 
  • and i have other question, if i'm not wrong, wen we buy the woods i must pay for cites, for example if buy a set to do a commission guitar for a US client and wen i sell the guitar i must pay, different thing of course, the cites as well. that means pay 59£ x 2 or more or less ( i believe in raw woods i pay for the  pakage and not only for each set), if i buy woods from germany i pay 75€ to have the cites 

well i'm a poor man i just buy 1 or 2 sets each time that means every guitar will be about 118£ expensive... plust the normal price of the wood or course

i need to win the lottery just to build guitars lol
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3294
    tFB Trader
    What's bloody annoying is buying Amazon rosewood from USA now I have to have paperwork to send a guitar back with that fretboard

Truly mad
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    saw that and effectively useless info - nothing new to report other than we are working on it
    and i have other question, if i'm not wrong, wen we buy the woods i must pay for cites, for example if buy a set to do a commission guitar for a US client and wen i sell the guitar i must pay, different thing of course, the cites as well. that means pay 59£ x 2 or more or less ( i believe in raw woods i pay for the  pakage and not only for each set), if i buy woods from germany i pay 75€ to have the cites 

well i'm a poor man i just buy 1 or 2 sets each time that means every guitar will be about 118£ expensive... plust the normal price of the wood or course

i need to win the lottery just to build guitars lol
    If you buy woods from Germany you should be ok while we are still in the EU.  You won't need the import/export permits.

I would have thought that if you bought a job lot of raw rosewood to import from outside the EU you should be able to do it on one permit.

For raw materials I think your best bet will be to find a supplier in this country who has already imported it and handled all the permits.
  • exception of rosewood in musical instruments will start in the next 26 novembre
    https://cites.org/sites/default/files/notif/E-Notif-2019-052.pdf