BT

What's Hot
So they're making us all change our BT Yahoo email accounts ... which I thoroughly disapprove of for a variety of reasons not least that anything on the BT.com site runs at the speed of death squared whereas on the Yahoo site it was only dead slow.

But whats going to happen to the hundreds of "disposable" email addresses which I've created and by which people I still want to be in contact with know me? My amazon, thomann, GAK etc accounts all have email addresses unique to those suppliers. I take it BT expects to trash these without any complaint from their longsuffering users?

FFS!  
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17650
    tFB Trader
    This is why you don't use email addresses provided by your broadband supplier. 
  • I'll have to find out from @TTony who supplies his internet services. There's only a few suppliers you can get your broadband from in this area but I don't fancy staying with BT if they're going to be pulling stunts like this every few years
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    tFB Trader
    Don't use your broadband provider as your email provider fullstop.

It's a con to make it hard for you to change to another provider. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    Don't use your broadband provider as your email provider fullstop.

It's a con to make it hard for you to change to another provider. 
    This is wisdom. It costs £7 for 2 years for a domain name, and then you have full control. Believe me, it's worth it.
    <space for hire>
  • But if I used BT as my broadband provider and then used someone else as my ISP wouldn't I end up paying more? ATM I pay BT a flat rate and everything is bundled.
    tFB Trader
    Keep using BT as your broadband provider, but buy a domain name and use it for your email. 

philakapip.com can be had for £20 for 2 years. 
  • I don't have a problem with my main email address. BT isn't making me change that. However I fear it is making me lose all the disposable Yahoo addresses. It is also making me access my email though a site that runs even slower than the Yahoo site used to. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    I'll have to find out from @TTony who supplies his internet services. 
    BT.

But I've never used an ISP provided email account.  I've had Hotmail since a-long-time-ago (it's now being re-branded as outlook) and also Gmail.

But the best bet is to get your own domain and base your email from that.  Most domain hosting packages will give you a thousand or two email addys, all in the form youchoose@yourdomain.co.uk.  

It's something we can bundle into a chat about your website.  2 birds.  1 stone.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • @TTony  cool  :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    Sorry - this week disappeared on me.  When's good for a Magpie meet?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Am I going to lose the Yahoo Messenger service as well?

The gf has just tried calling me on the phone and her mobile phone is distorting like f*ck and losing half of her syllables so we decided to give up and use Yahoo Messenger for a conversation instead.

Why are mobile phones such crap and why TF does everyone else swear by them? The audio quality is totally dreadful!
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    I don't have a problem with my main email address. BT isn't making me change that. However I fear it is making me lose all the disposable Yahoo addresses.

@Phil_aka_Pip Which are the 'disposable' yahoo addresses?

My email address exists on my mothers BT account.... would that be classed as disposable?

• Hasn't BT and Yahoo ended their relationship hence the reason for this change?

I've had BT internet since we moved to Dorset. And apart from a problem getting connected at our previous address we've never had a problem with it. Here in the rural village I live in now I'm getting the full 8MB. The Home Hub is rubbish, but I use a third-party router now. I just wish we could get Infinity in our village but it's probably going to be a couple of years yet.

• @wordy you can have up to some large number of 'disposable' addresses. You define a stemname, so the address is
    stemname-xxx@yahoo.co.uk
    where xxx is any sequence of characters. Mail sent to these addresses is delivered to the inbox of your btopenworld address.

They're AFAIK removing the feature