Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I didn't understand at the time .......

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16206
    Earth,wind and fire ........incredible musicianship and production /arrangement
    just listen to " gotta get you into my life "
     I thought they were a silly disco act at the time ........how I would love a band like that !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23268

It's funny, I always think of myself as having been a teenage heavy metal* fan, but reading this thread I realise I actually liked a great deal of the pop, disco, punk, new wave etc which was in the top 40 from the mid-70s to late-80s.  I don't mean I've come to appreciate it in retrospect, I really did like it at the time.  And I still like most of it.

I can't think of much that I disliked then which I've now changed my mind about, although there are probably things I was completely unaware of which I've only heard much later.

Once we get into the 90s and beyond, though, I've paid less and less attention to the charts, and now anything I (accidentally) hear from the current top 40 just sounds like utter rubbish.  Which is, depressingly, the sort of thing my dad would've said to me 35 years ago.

So maybe in 20 years I'll be re-discovering and reprieving music from the nineties and noughties.  But I doubt it.

(* I say heavy metal.  Nowadays it would be classed as classic rock.  Or dad rock.  And collected on those bloody awful compilation CDs aimed at old twats who like to pretend they're Jeremy Clarkson when they're out driving.)

• All the pop and disco in the 70's/80's flew past me at the time but there are a few gems in there that I've chanced upon.

My dad is a massive jazz fan and, while it's still not a style of music I really enjoy, I certainly don't hate it as  much as I did as a teen :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

All the pop and disco in the 70's/80's flew past me at the time but there are a few gems in there that I've chanced upon.

My dad is a massive jazz fan and, while it's still not a style of music I really enjoy, I certainly don't hate it as  much as I did as a teen :)
    My dad was a serious Jazz fan...................wow,did I hate that as a kid growing up !
    I don't know if I hated the actual music or the fact that my Dad told me these were proper musicians and Marc Bolan wasn't !
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I hated anything even vaguely to do with hip-hop for ages until I realised that it's mainstream hip-hop that's rubbish, mainly down to discovering DJ Shadow and The Avalanches fairly recently

Cue Clipping, Run the Jewels and Kate Tempest obsession
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Totally guilty as charged, even the odd Take That song now seems quite pleasent when worked up properly in a show environment. I used to hate singing Eltons 'Sad Songs' when it charted, it came on the radio a while back when I was driving and I sang along like a right burke, it just took me 30 years to realise.
  • I grew up through Britpop and at the time, didn't give a rat's arse about it. Lately though, I've gone back and found that I actually like half of it - mainly the fringe bands like Suede, Seahorses, Shed Seven, Verve etc. I've never liked Oasis or Blur.
  • @Dominic my dad used to go on about what he thought of as 'proper music' too =)

Thinking back, I quite liked Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald but otherwise it was metal, hip hop and electro for me ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

@TheBlueWolf ;
    we all turn into our Dad's eventually
     Confession time ; I caught myself singing along to " Coward of the County " the other day........
     It is what it is BUT fucking hell ,that Kenny Rogers had an amazing voice !
      Quite like a bit of dolly too !
     Her best quote ......" It takes an awful lot of dollars to look this cheap !"
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3948
    I couldn't admit that I LOVED the disco scene as a teenager. Because I was supposed to be a punk! I was so chuffed when I heard John Lydon was into it too.

In my later years it was AC DC and Yes. Hated both but not anymore.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10348
    Probably my ultimate 'hated this song back in the day but now realise what a corker it is'.
    (And not just since George died).

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    80's synth pop for me. Heaven 17, Human league, Depeche Mode and everything else Vince Clarke did. Hell, even Soft Cell!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    The Beatles....I always used to think they were just a pop group (Angus young said the same thing).  Only in the last few year's have I recognised the genius of them.
    That and cheesy 80s pop like erasure, eurhytmics and level 42 nothing to be ashamed of. All decent well crafted pop songs. Pop doesnt have to be a negative word.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4934
    Pet Shop Boys for me.

And, ref the jazz thing, my Dad played it all the time (usually piano trios like Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, Ahmad Jamal, etc, with occasional big bands) - I reckon it informed my young brain with a feel for rhythm, harmony, and melody I wouldn't otherwise have got.
  • Probably my ultimate 'hated this song back in the day but now realise what a corker it is'.
    (And not just since George died).

Ironically, George Michael didn't rate the song at all as he got older.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    RocknRollDave said:

He thought it was a throw-away song that he wrote too quickly to have any deeper meaning. I think he was wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    Dominic said:
    Earth,wind and fire ........incredible musicianship and production /arrangement
    just listen to " gotta get you into my life "
     I thought they were a silly disco act at the time ........how I would love a band like that !
    forever Boogie Under-pants....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Try as I might cannot stand Niel Youngs singing, other people doing his songs completely different story. And as for musical song writing Gilbert O' Sullivan try to work out  Alone Again without consulting the net or playing  Get Down with amp set on full shred or that T Rex tone 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBM said:
    RocknRollDave said:

He thought it was a throw-away song that he wrote too quickly to have any deeper meaning. I think he was wrong.
    I agree. "Guilty feet have got no rhythm" isn't a bad lyric, for a start.
    I think he was definitely caught up too much with trying to prove what a great, deep songwriter he was as he moved on from Wham!, forgetting that great pop songs are arguably more difficult to write than melancholic mid-tempo brooders.

Try as I might cannot stand Niel Youngs singing, other people doing his songs completely different story. And as for musical song writing Gilbert O' Sullivan try to work out  Alone Again without consulting the net or playing  Get Down with amp set on full shred or that T Rex tone 
    Have to say "Alone again naturally " is one of the very best crafted lyrics and music of the last 35 years .This is on par with Lennon and McCartney at their best.