Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are there any women on theFretBoard?

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
It's fairly obvious that the large majority of this fair parish is of the male persuasion.

However, women do play guitars!

I'm not cruising for a date or anything, before anyone gets the wrong idea...(happily engaged I'll have you know!)

So I'm wondering if there are any around. Simply out of interest really; I find the make-up of communities quite interesting, and given the diversity of internet users nowadays I find it particularly curious that this could be 100% male.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Are there any women here ?
    Reminds me of the stoning scene in Life of Brian !
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Miranda?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know of four or five, but that's not really unusual. Niche forums like this one tend to attract the slightly-obsessed, and that seems to appeal more to the male psyche.

The one major exception seems to be Mumsnet, but...I think that place appeals to a particular personality type more than anything ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    *Checks day of the week*

ummm, no
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited January 2017
    @digitalscream I suppose you are indeed right. It is my experience that men do tend to obsessively research their interests and this forum lends itself very well to that end!

Without wishing to impose stereotypes of course.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    me
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @digitalscream I suppose you are indeed right. It is my experience that men do tend to obsessively research their interests and this forum lends itself very well to that end!

I don't think it's really imposing a stereotype so much as acknowledging a generalised difference between men and women. That seems to be frowned upon in this age where everything's supposed to be gender-neutral.
    <space for hire>
  • @digitalscream Indeed. God forbid anyone acknowledges differences, or celebrates them!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Stereotypes lol. Any Asians about? :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @digitalscream I suppose you are indeed right. It is my experience that men do tend to obsessively research their interests and this forum lends itself very well to that end!

I don't think it's really imposing a stereotype so much as acknowledging a generalised difference between men and women. That seems to be frowned upon in this age where everything's supposed to be gender-neutral.
    The thing is, web forums are inherently gender neutral unless you're forced to display gender.  My view is that this is a good thing - if knowing a person's gender would mean you treat their information/opinions or react to them differently, then that's no longer gender neutral even if you have an even split.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited January 2017
    @guitarfishbay This true, except when you see threads on here about 'the most beautiful women' and a lot of users complaining about their wives ;) 

The thing is, web forums are inherently gender neutral unless you're forced to display gender.  My view is that this is a good thing - if knowing a person's gender would mean you treat their information/opinions or react to them differently, then that's no longer gender neutral even if you have an even split.
    Well, this one isn't as gender-neutral as most 'cos a very large number of regulars meet in real life. Plus there's the whole "Pictures of you live" thing ;)

I tend to keep an eye on the new signups, which means I see their email addresses - very, very few of our members are female. In fact, one of the ways we can mostly spot a spammer is because they more often than not use female names in their fake email addresses.
    <space for hire>
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    There used to be a few ladies on here and the old MR forum. Estheroid. Rockbabe. Clarebear. That really fruitloops girl was around for a while on MR, can't remember her name.

Pretty much just Myranda nowadays I think. 
  • boogieman said:
    There used to be a few ladies on here and the old MR forum. Estheroid. Rockbabe. Clarebear. That really fruitloops girl was around for a while on MR, can't remember her name.

Pretty much just Myranda nowadays I think. 
    Clare bear's legacy lives on here, but she pretty much disappeared when she had a baby. Some people have really distorted priorities... ;)
    <space for hire>
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7473
    At one of the Gasfests (the Swindon one) there was an all-girl band made up of forum members, who went by the name 'ZZ Topless' (but who were not) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Dominic said:
    Are there any women here ?
    Reminds me of the stoning scene in Life of Brian !
    Come on, who said jehovah?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Only Myranda that I'm aware of. There were a few more in the MR days but even then the guys made up the vast majority of forumites.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SporkySporky Frets: 28431

Isn't the problem when generalisations are applied to individuals?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

Isn't the problem when generalisations are applied to individuals?
    Not exactly.

"Stereotype - a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing"

I don't believe it's an oversimplification - it's simply my best attempt at explaining why, on almost every forum out there (for any topic), the population is mainly male.
    <space for hire>
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    If I were a woman I wouldn't hang around this sausagefest for very long. Some of the crass sexist bullshit I see go unmodded round here would get you banned on almost any other forum. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom