are you a high/medium/low action person

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I think there is a little bit of a value judgement attached to low action. My action's lower than your action, ner, kind of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Medium'. Honestly I usually set up according to manufacturers specs and then do the final tweaks by feel.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    High enough to be able to play slide.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    EdGrip said:
    I think there is a little bit of a value judgement attached to low action. My action's lower than your action, ner, kind of thing.
    I thought it was the other way round - a higher action was more 'manly' or the sign of a 'real player'. At least when everyone seemed to want to be SRV...

On that basis J. Mascis looks like the best player ever :).

I actually can't quite believe he does have it that high, it's surprising he can get the intonation even close - and yes, I have heard him play ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    ICBM said:
    EdGrip said:
    I thought it was the other way round - a higher action was more 'manly' or the sign of a 'real player'. At least when everyone seemed to want to be SRV...

On that basis J. Mascis looks like the best player ever :).

I actually can't quite believe he does have it that high, it's surprising he can get the intonation even close - and yes, I have heard him play ;).

He's a strange fella. Never plays a Jazzmaster - or through marshalls - in the studio and get s a bit testy when people ask about that.

I read a long time ago that he likes his action high because he likes the guitar to fight back, which sounds laudable. I suspect he's created a musical badass persona and it pays. Bit like a WWF wrester. 
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Apart from an actual reference, whether it be a penny or a measurement, it's hard to know what a low/medium/high action really is. My low may be someone else's high.

I like the idea of seeing whether your fingers slip under or over the strings when bending. It would certainly give a good starting point and we all have different size fingers.

My Pacifica always tended to slip under my fingers, but at the time I didn't know much about setting action height, I just set it as low as possible, without buzz.

What us the advantage of setting the action higher for chords?
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I like my les Paul nice a low, but my tele a tad higher. As it suits what I tend to play on them.

I would add that I prefer it slightly higher than I used too as playing speed is less of an issue these days.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My action went up after I learned to setup my own guitars. The guy who used to do my Setups had a rep in N Ireland of being the best so I never questioned how low my action was, I thought it was supposed to be like that. I've been much happier since I started doing my own, the Dan Erlewine books I picked up a few years ago have been priceless.
    Gru said:

What us the advantage of setting the action higher for chords?
    Muting/damping unwanted notes, for me.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    ..I'd be happy with ANY actiion...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rh8s_travlin-light-diane-schuur-freddie_music
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Medium height for me.  I use 10-46 strings and, with capo on the first fret, top E is usually around 1.5mm and bottom E 1.8 - 2.00mm at the 12th
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Medium height for me.  I use 10-46 strings and, with capo on the first fret, top E is usually around 1.5mm and bottom E 1.8 - 2.00mm at the 12th
    Why put a capo on to measure the action??
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Why put a capo on to measure the action??
    It's the correct way to do it as it takes the nut out of the equation.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited January 2014
    hmm not really -   gives a false reading for the true action, unless you're playing with a capo on all the time.

Not all nuts are equal - You want the nut IN the equation

Its "half way" to the correct way to measure neck relief
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Some people do and some people don't. Most of the time I am setting up the action for myself and so it is relative heights I am after. It takes one variable out. I always check and adjust nut height too
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited January 2014
    Some people do and some people don't. Most of the time I am setting up the action for myself and so it is relative heights I am after. 
    which is fine,  but if you're using a set measurement, rather than "feel" surely you could set two guitars up with the same measurement at the 12th,  take the capo off and they could be quite a bit different.

each to his own tho, as you say 

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I first heard people obsessing about crazy low action at about the time when people were looking at Alvin Lee or Tony Iommi and saying:
    "Wait a minute......there are more notes there than there are pick strokes. Huh??"   :-O

Up to that point we thought that a pull off was something that happened in a dark corner of the cinema.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Why put a capo on to measure the action??
    It's the correct way to do it as it takes the nut out of the equation.
    I would say it's the incorrect way to do it - you need to get the nut height right first, and then the relief, before even trying to check the action.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

J Mascis's action is pretty low compared to Freddie Green's.  See video.

Holeeshit!