Strymon v FX8

What's Hot
WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
edited January 2017 in FX
Hi folks, 

Apologies for yet another 'Fractal v everything else' thread, but I've been offered an FX8 for my Timeline, Big Sky and OCD. 

Can the Fractal really cover all this ground better than the pedals? I doubt I'll get a chance to try it first so it's a bit of a leap of faith. 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do it, I say. Can always offload the FX8 and buy back the others! Good deal for you, I think.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do it. That's a fantastic deal and you'd be a total moron to pass that up. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
    edited January 2017
    Do it. That's a fantastic deal and you'd be a total moron to pass that up. 
    It's Mr Moron to you ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lord Moron of Moronshire? :)

I hope you've contacted the seller by now. In my head, I'm thinking a Timeline, Big Sky, and OCD would be worth no more than £800 resale, possibly less. That sort of price for an FX8 is mindblowing. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Ha. So much for online anonymity!

He seems to want my ltd edition Timmy, too. Hmmm...

I think the main concern for me is I do a lot of heavily effected ambient stuff, which the Strymon pedals suit. I've not seen many decent vids of how the fx8 handles that stuff. 

I appreciate this might seem like a no-brainer, but my setup does what I need for the most part. This would simplify my board a bit and give me more versatility overall, though. 
  • Do it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DO IIIIIT!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The reverbs and delays in the fx8 are awesome.    If you decide you don't like using it, then it won't be because of the sound quality. 
    edited January 2017
    The deal now is TL, BS, OCD, Timmy and Small Stone. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice guys.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33833
    Still a bargain.
    Whether you like the FX8 or not depends on you- I don't think you will have any concerns with the sound of it.
    The interface is where the big differences lie.

I have an FX8 but I kept my pedal-based board for situations where I might need to quickly tweak on the fly- jam sessions and the like.
    For a set of music where everything can be programmed in advance I use the FX8.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are they reading this thread? Why does the deal keep changing?

If it's worth it to you then do it. I'm not up to speed on valuations but ebay completed listings are usually a good barometer of that
  • Are they reading this thread? Why does the deal keep changing?

If it's worth it to you then do it. I'm not up to speed on valuations but ebay completed listings are usually a good barometer of that
    I didn't want to rip the guy off.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You aren't ripping him off. If he was happy to sell for Big Sky, Timeline, and OCD, then that's all the matters. 

I'm impressed by the change in valuation though. Your deal keeps getting more generous as the pound drops!

edited January 2017
    You aren't ripping him off. If he was happy to sell for Big Sky, Timeline, and OCD, then that's all the matters. 

I'm impressed by the change in valuation though. Your deal keeps getting more generous as the pound drops!
    He had already mentioned a cash price. I told him which pedals I could part with and we worked it out to a similar value. I always play fair with musicians. I'm weird like that!

I appreciate the help folks. I'll give it a whirl. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Rip their hand off.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Start renegotiating. If he's adding pedals to the deal, add something in your favour.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    No brainer.

2 pieces of total junk and a very good OCD for another digital but OK-ish thing.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Hurry up and close the deal before he demands your boots, your motorcycle and your sunglasses.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Start renegotiating. If he's adding pedals to the deal, add something in your favour.
    I offered more pedals to make it closer to his asking price. I'm happy with it. I'm not using the Timmy too much at the mo and still have a good selection of pedals left, though they could all be up for sale if the FX8 lives up to the hype.

Gassage said:
    No brainer.

2 pieces of total junk and a very good OCD for another digital but OK-ish thing.

I think the Strymons, especially the Big Sky, are great for some things. The BS is a wonderful ambient tool. I'm not a fan of the Möbius, though. 

The OCD is pretty good, but is readily available used and I have other ODs I'm pretty happy with.  

I have no issue with digital as long as it sounds good. I'd rather experiment with inspiring fx than copy guitarists of the past.

Is the FX8 good for ambient/experimental stuff?
  • Sassafras said:
    Hurry up and close the deal before he demands your boots, your motorcycle and your sunglasses.
    He forgot to say please!