IBS

What's Hot
Not the politician - anyone else have this?  My diet is getting more restricted by the day. Processed meats and too much fat now are out.  Maybe not a bad thing, but I'm living off smoothies, cereal and salad atm.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Suffered from it for years but it goes in fits and starts ........
    Avoid too much wheat based food .....bread,pasta etc but not entirely
     Avoid dairy of all kinds as much as poss ......milk is poison
      Avoid gratuitous fats 
    Acidic fruit and juices ...........ie a glass of fresh Orange really fucks me up so does coffee but i am addicted to it anyway
     Take the right medication to relax the bowel ........
     I take 2 Colofac 25 minutes before each meal ....works brilliant for me although during bad episodes it may take 3 or 4 days of doing this to re-educate the colonic rythmn 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Milk and animal fats are the real killers for me at the moment. Wheat and pasta not so bad if I don't have too much and if it is quality stuff, not too refined. 
  • I have constant problems and repeat prescriptions on demand for loperamide and codeine.  Starchy root veg (especially potato) are my big problem with chips being the killer.  The pain can be bad but its the need to rush at very short notice to the loo that causes the deal inconvenience/ 

Loperamide isn't what you need - best anti-spasmodic for IBS is Colofac or Mebeverine Hydrochloride 
    Loperamide is best in low dose regularity as a diarrhoea medication it will not resolve he cause spasming of the bowel in the same way
     I went on a load of trials in the mid 1980s
    @mellowsun -assume you have been tested for Crohns ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited January 2017
    me too.....
    tae be or not tae be
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Dominic said:
    Yep, all the usual tests - Crohn's, coeliac - were negative.
  • I thought I had IBS, but actually it was just severe lactose intolerance. Cut out all dairy before anything else, for sure. For me, the difference was almost immediate.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited January 2017
    it's a life-changer fucker if you get it bad. consider yourself lucky if you didn't have to have a barium enema & xray as part of the diagnosis. as close as i intend to get to the pain of pregnancy.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    edited January 2017

• Dominic said:
    Loperamide isn't what you need - best anti-spasmodic for IBS is Colofac or Mebeverine Hydrochloride 
    Loperamide is best in low dose regularity as a diarrhoea medication it will not resolve he cause spasming of the bowel in the same way
     I went on a load of trials in the mid 1980s
    Cheers,

Ill mention that to the Doc next time I'm there.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I take loperamide daily (6 tablets), having said that I have Crohn's and have had a big chunk of bowel removed.

I'd say try it for a couple of days, and see if it works for you.

As for diet, see if you can do the "Exclusion diet" which eliminates everything (you basically live on chicken and rice) and puts one food group in per week (for one day) to see how you react to it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826

The "Fast Tract Diet" stands out as the most successful among IBS patient groups, replacing the Low Fodmap and SCD diets of recent years.  It's all about nipping the fermentation of carbohydrates in the bud by limiting the quantity of fermentable mass.  The FTD is a little more refined and scientifically accurate than its forebears.

It fits in with the SIBO model of IBS which is gradually replacing previous models among both patients and gastroenterologists.

https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/fast-tract-diet/

http://www.siboinfo.com/overview.html

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Been a sufferer since high school so over 45 years now, whilst the diet can and does have an effect the daily stress and how you manage it can have an even bigger effect. So do the diet things and learn what doed and doesn't work for you but learn to chill out and not give a fuck about unimportant stuff or things you can't influence too. That way the triggers can be controlled a little better and you get to enjoy life.
    These days I can eat pretty much anything but choose lots of fruit and veg, limit my beer drinking (real ale) to a couple of times a month and likewise takeaway/junk food is restricted (it's just crap anyway). Does that mean I don't have a bad gut? No, but a good routine clear out first thing and stand down wind if the wind is thing that day keeps me content.
    @Mike_l has the best suggestion for the exclusion diet, many supermarkets now have a big shelf on gluton free stuff, there is even ice cream for people that can't eat that kind of stuff as well as cakes and biscuits.

All above are great suggestions
    I also had part of my bowel removed 
    Maybe different strokes for different folks but Colofac /mebeverine works great for me
    edited January 2017
    antispasmodic mebeverine/colofac135mg as&when for me too. tried peppermint capsules (apercap?) which soothe a bit but if you hate mint (i hate) the difference it makes not worth mint vomminess 24/7. but if you like mint mouthwashes etc probably worth a try. and don't get into the loperamide(shits)-sennacot(constipation) cycle. juggling symptoms is not dealing with problem.
    & blood in shit = tell doc. saved my mum's life.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Musli makes my stomach goes nuts...it rumbles, farts for about 6 hours afterwards.

I thought I was doing my body good from eating healthy and only when i went on holiday and eat full english for a week I realised...my bowels are feeling a lot better and more steady.  I just get my fibre elsewhere.
  • My Mrs was really struggling with it to the point where she almost lost all her confidence . We went to the docs and asked for amyltriptyline (as I googled like mad for months) and that literally was a life changer
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I got it bad in my final year at uni in 2015. Mebeverine and Omeprazole seem to settle things down, however, it comes on in waves, sometimes much worse than others. The main culprits for me are cauliflower and broccoli. If I eat either of those, then I suffer from what can only be described as 'Anal Armageddon'. Nasty stuff is IBS.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I have it ...at times it sounds as though something is inside my stomach wanting out..! 
    Im trying slippery elm now ..not sure iff its working or not yet ...
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    I had a bout july -Dec. Then i went on holiday and bingo..... rested reset. its gone.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com