Xotic Ep booster

What's Hot
I currently use my TC spark boost first in my chain as an always on pedal as i find it sounds a lot fuller and seems more 3-dimensional.

Ive read a bit about the Xotic Ep booster, and wondered if its worth the extra £'s.

Does it really add more to your tone than other boosts?
I know that boosts are pretty simple circuits, so what makes the Xotic so special?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    Association with Echoplex users. Although I understand the circuitry is not derived from an Echoplex at all, just a one-transistor amplifier like all these magic boosts.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Go on Ebay and get the cloned version for £18. XP booster....brilliant lil pedal for buttons. SP = Super Pricey. innit.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I'm using the SP compressor wound up fully (max volume, zero blend) before an OCD with mild gain and it sounds marvellous. 
  • Cool..im talking about the EP booster.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    It's successful for a reason, the EP... it just adds a little 'something' t your sound, a bit of warmth... ive never really used it as a boots, more as an always on.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    The EP is a well built quality pedal but jeese ....  £100 plus for a simple transistor boost in a nice box !!!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    treble boosters are a similar story for what they are.
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited January 2017
    It's successful for a reason, the EP... it just adds a little 'something' t your sound, a bit of warmth... ive never really used it as a boots, more as an always on.
    But does it add something that the TC spark (or other boosts) doesnt? I would be using it as an 'always on' too.

• siraxeman said:
    Go on Ebay and get the cloned version for £18. XP booster.
    I have seen that XP being A/B tested with the Xotic EP on Youtube. It has the internal dip switches and everything. I couldnt tell them apart.

But it makes you curious about the hype the Xotic gets.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited January 2017

siraxeman said:
    Go on Ebay and get the cloned version for £18. XP booster.
    I have seen that XP being A/B tested with the Xotic EP on Youtube. It has the internal dip switches and everything. I couldnt tell them apart.

But it makes you curious about the hype the Xotic gets.
    It's much cheaper to pay Chinese wages to make a copy of someone else's circuit than it is to pay American wages to build a circuit you designed yourself (even if you did base it on something else). 

I've got an XP booster- I just needed a cheap way to boost my volume at a couple of points in my band's set, so I haven't really explored the "betterizer" potential of the pedal, just the "louderizer" properties. It does that job just fine.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    There's plenty 2nd hand on Ebay.  First pedal on any board for me.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback