Today at the barbers

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    When I was a student I used to go to this Italian family barbers who had a couple of places in town. I had a couple of haircuts from the old patriarch, who did the entire haircut with a cutthroat razor. He was lightning quick, all done in five minutes. You just sat there and tried not to move.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:
    TTBZ said:
    The worst part about using a straight razor is you now have to bleat on to everyone about how they're the best thing to grace your skin and act all superior to the plebs who use normal razors.
    lol, yeah, but they aren't. THey are frigging terrible things. Maybe it's a rite of passage for some of us: I had a phase of being into it. Cut my face to bits, and the shave was no better or worse than a Bic razor. There is usually a good reason for a tool being developed and in the case of a straight razor it's no different (IMO).

The amount of times I nearly cut my piggin chin off wiht that feckin cutthroat......

Still, I did think I was very cool. I was wrong. The sliced chin look definitely wasn't a good look.
    My barber said that the cutthroat is great if you're using it on someone else, but terrible to use on yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22880
    Stevepage said:
    Ever seen Sweeny Todd?

I haven't, but I have seen about 20,000 horror films. 

I know if the barber was going to go apeshit he could just stab me with the scissors or electrocute me with a hairdryer or something.... but straight razors are just intrinsically scary. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I pluck my ear hairs. I get very antsy without a pair of tweezers around. They don't get longer than a mm or two at worst if I have anything to do with it. Eyebrows, comb and clippers
    My V key is broken
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I quite enjoy using one. 5 people live in our house, 4 are female. When i go for a shave they all leave me alone, i can spend 45 minutes shaving  ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Iamnobody said:

How do our senior members manage their eyebrows?
    I slam them in my wife's car door just before she drives off to work.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Pagan rituals.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    speshul91 said:
    I quite enjoy using one. 5 people live in our house, 4 are female. When i go for a shave they all leave me alone, i can spend 45 minutes shaving  ;)
    Same here.  A good shave is almost ritualistic.  Hot towel, pre-shave, 3 pass shave with my chosen razor after lathering up my chosen soap of the day (I have over 50 to choose from) with a superb silvertip brush...divine!

It's the reason I get up at 5am every day to ensure I have 'me' time to shave to a BBS result.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    p90fool said:
    Iamnobody said:

I slam them in my wife's car door just before she drives off to work.
    hope she has a powerful engine in it!

https://matthewsdent.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/bernard-ingham.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I have what I'm presuming is a hair in my left ear that has been tickling me for months.  I've looked in there with an endoscope and I can't see anything (straight through to the other side !).  I regularly try to pluck it out with tweezers, but I'm just randomly grasping at something I can't see anyway.

I then decided to try the Turkish barber flame thing.  I've discovered that there isn't enough oxygen in the ear canal to keep a flame alight, but there is enough heat in a burning wick to burn your fucking ear.

My next stop is to try a drop of Veet 'do not put on knob or bollocks' hair removal cream.

I also don't like the way my bastard eyebrows are growing straggly as I get older.  It's not fair.  I've always had racing eyebrows, now they're beginning to look like hedgerows.  WTF is that all about ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    *shudders*
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I have what I'm presuming is a hair in my left ear that has been tickling me for months.  I've looked in there with an endoscope and I can't see anything (straight through to the other side !).  I regularly try to pluck it out with tweezers, but I'm just randomly grasping at something I can't see anyway.

I then decided to try the Turkish barber flame thing.  I've discovered that there isn't enough oxygen in the ear canal to keep a flame alight, but there is enough heat in a burning wick to burn your fucking ear.

My next stop is to try a drop of Veet 'do not put on knob or bollocks' hair removal cream.

Probably eczema which Veet will aggravate. Probably a better move is to get someone else to look in your ear rather than random chemicals.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Probably one of these Emp:

• nick_s said:
    speshul91 said:
    Same here.  A good shave is almost ritualistic.  Hot towel, pre-shave, 3 pass shave with my chosen razor after lathering up my chosen soap of the day (I have over 50 to choose from) with a superb silvertip brush...divine!

It's the reason I get up at 5am every day to ensure I have 'me' time to shave to a BBS result.
    Some people seem to have so much time...  I do out of bed, loo, wash, shave, drive to work and be at my desk in about 26 minutes.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    uncledick said:
    nick_s said:
    speshul91 said:

Some people seem to have so much time...  I do out of bed, loo, wash, shave, drive to work and be at my desk in about 26 minutes.
    I start at 5pm. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Emp_Fab said:

Probably eczema which Veet will aggravate. Probably a better move is to get someone else to look in your ear rather than random chemicals.

The only way to be sure, is petrol, and a match.

Emp is probably silly enough to try this........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)