Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New car time. Civic, Focus or Golf?

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    If it's petrol you're going for I'd get the Civic then. A 1.6 Golf will feel slow (the mk5 is heavier than the new mk7).
    The 1.8 Honda is a VTEC, and should be dead reliable.
    Only known fault (other than Honda making crap diesels) is the power steering can give trouble.

I'd still get the diesel Golf though but that's just me.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    strtdv said:
    If it's petrol you're going for I'd get the Civic then. A 1.6 Golf will feel slow (the mk5 is heavier than the new mk7).
    The 1.8 Honda is a VTEC, and should be dead reliable.
    Only known fault (other than Honda making crap diesels) is the power steering can give trouble.

I'd still get the diesel Golf though but that's just me.
    Even though I said I'm not looking for a diesel I'm curious to hear why. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    We have an '08 Mk.V Golf with the 140hp 2.0 diesel and six speed DSG auto 'box. It's now done 175,000 kms and has only needed tyres, servicing and a battery.

Reasonably comfortable, goes like stink if needed and great fuel economy.

I haven't driven one of the petrol TSi's so can't compare. Have however had Focuses as loan/hire cars and they have been oh so dull and I didn't like the visibility or ergonomics.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    edited January 2017
    Better mpg, by a wide margin in this case (the 1.8 VTEC is fairly thirsty), and, in the long run, reliability.
    When was the last time you saw a petrol engine with 200+k miles on the clock?
    I've seen several VW diesels with more like 400k on the clock and still running well.

I also like the torque of a diesel. The 1.9Tdi isn't hugely powerful but it pulls extremely well.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    I'd go for the Civic every time. I owned one a while back and now own an Accord. Reliable, comfortable and you get more extras for your money.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• I'm not sure about the civic interior.
    My focus has needed next to to repairs, very cheap.
    Golf looks cool but I think other two are more reliable.

If I had to make a snap decision, it'd be another focus, probably.

So far it's 
    1. Civic
    2. Focus
    3. Golf

Civic ticks the boxes, Focus is the devil I know, VW is the complete unknown. 

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If you actually enjoy driving I'd go for the Focus.
    If it's just a A to B machine I would get the Golf. It'll never set your parents to on fire but it has a depth of competency beyond the others I think.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Another happy Focus owner here, has been solid as a rock for me and cost me nothing but tyres and routine stuff. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Civic for me. I used to drive Fords, and as soon as I owned a non-Ford I vowed that I would never ever buy another Ford. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    Based on my experience with 2 Fords a few years back, and now owning a Toyota, I would probably go Japanese.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    edited January 2017
    Octavia.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had 4 Hondas, 1 FRV, 2 Civics and now have a Civic Tourer which has the biggest boot in its class, rear wiper, rear seats split, fold up and also totaly flat down making it very versatile. The best bit they have never gave me any problem so reliability is brilliant. Cant fault Honda.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've got a 2010 Civic 1.8 petrol which I've had for a couple years and would echo the previous comments about boot space and how great the folding back seats are. Also the floor in the back is flat so you can slide guitars in the back footwell easily.  The 1.8 is pretty economical and smooth.

There are a few little things that I find annoying about it though, mainly the ergonomics, the controls seem to be randomly splattered across the dashboard. Due to the positioning of the speedo and the main instrument display the steering wheel height adjustment is a bit pointless. Then for me the steering wheel is in the way of some of the fan/heater controls.

Like most I got it as it ticked all the main boxes but it's not particularly enjoyable to drive or own. 

When I was car shopping I also looked at the equivalent golf but the boot looked tiny.  Smaller than the mk2 Leon than I had previously.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I'm told that because Honda don't break down there are fewer 'pattern parts' available, thus body repair costs push up the insurance premiums as you see. That said Honda holds it's used value very very well and the reliability is legendary. Also they are seen as boring and owned by 'older' drivers so tend not to be thrashed daily.
    Golfs deserve thier rep, but the other VAG makers are doing better in the annual reliability ratings these last few years (SEAT, Skoda etc). Also the other brands again are ofton less thrashed for similar reasons to the Hondas.
    Fords are cheap to repair and copy/pattern parts help keep service and repair costs down as well as insurance premioums.
    In the end a well cared for (ex lady driver) low milage car will set you up for a long time, don't forget the mpg in your cost of ownership calcs.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12411
    ESBlonde said:
    I'm told that because Honda don't break down there are fewer 'pattern parts' available, thus body repair costs push up the insurance premiums as you see. That said Honda holds it's used value very very well and the reliability is legendary. Also they are seen as boring and owned by 'older' drivers so tend not to be thrashed daily.
    Golfs deserve thier rep, but the other VAG makers are doing better in the annual reliability ratings these last few years (SEAT, Skoda etc). Also the other brands again are ofton less thrashed for similar reasons to the Hondas.
    Fords are cheap to repair and copy/pattern parts help keep service and repair costs down as well as insurance premioums.
    In the end a well cared for (ex lady driver) low milage car will set you up for a long time, don't forget the mpg in your cost of ownership calcs.

I'm not sure that just because a car has come from a lady driver it's necessarily a good thing. My ex wife once drove around with red warning lights on the dash for months before eventually mentioning them to me. The brake fluid had virtually all leaked away. Gulp :o She also completely wrecked the brakes on another car because she didn't recognise that the horrible metallic grinding noise meant that the pads were down to the metal on metal. She'd also regularly ride the clutch: she burnt out the first one in her heap of crap Matiz in less than 14,000 miles. Low mileage isn't necessarily  a good thing either: if it's been used for lots of short trips to the shops it really doesn't do the engine any favours as it never warms up properly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Honda VTEC engines are designed to rev to 7000+ rpm. Hence why they don't go wrong. Who regularly takes an engine to that? They're virtually bullet proof.
    You'll notice the difference in the Civic as soon as you sit in one. The comfort factor is way above the Focus and VW and they drive really nice, whether it be a manual or automatic.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

Motorhate said:
    You'll notice the difference in the Civic as soon as you sit in one. The comfort factor is way above the Focus and VW and they drive really nice, whether it be a manual or automatic.
    I just need to get behind the wheel of one now. The Golf is pretty much off the list so it's Civic or Focus

The older model ones (mine was a 2002) really was way above anything that was around at the time. I test drove an Audi A3 and aside from becoming an instant bellend for even driving an Audi, I noticed that the comfort factor just wasn't anywhere near the Honda. VTEC engines too are pretty much bulletproof. One that thing Honda get right (even more so on their bikes) are superb, reliable engines. They just go on and on. The diesels have been known to have some teething problems, but the petrol engines are second to none.