Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New car time. Civic, Focus or Golf?

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4226
    strtdv said:
    In fairness the Octavia is a fair bit bigger than a Focus.
    Current Octavia estate has a bigger boot than a 5 series touring.
    I'd imagine the Fabia is also big for its class.
    Just out of curiosity, I had a quick look and the current Octavia is 300mm longer than the Focus and exactly the same in width (well, 7mm). It's a bit bigger, but it's not a whole class bigger. 

I'd like a Skoda myself but they ain't the bargains they once were, especially not second hand :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Isn't the visibility through the back window of the civic a bit pants? 
    Skoda defo good value but I wouldn't want something TOO big.
    Dying to see what the OP gets!
    The hatchback, yes - the recent estate model, not so much because it has more of a conventional back window.

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/photos/lg_2014 Honda Civic Est 2.jpg

I'd be tempted by the estate - even more enormous boot, better visibility and can look really good. Although it's longer so I might find it a bit harder to park because I'm shit. And it's very sensitive to different wheel designs looks-wise - it can look fantastic at the bigger, snazzier end of the alloys options list, and really really shit at the cheaper end.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • My Honda civic tourer (estate) is the 1.8 petrol version with all round parking sensors and rear camera so never had a problem with parking etc and my 17inch alloys are pretty cool too. Tis very reliable and quiet...great car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    shoodurs said:
    My Honda civic tourer (estate) is the 1.8 petrol version with all round parking sensors and rear camera so never had a problem with parking etc and my 17inch alloys are pretty cool too. Tis very reliable and quiet...great car.
    Ooooh, parking sensors. I really want one now :D Preferably this exact one, in fact - great colour and great wheels.

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=96ebcef8fd544cd59bf1b47dcb589c8d
  • Bucket said:
    shoodurs said:
    My Honda civic tourer (estate) is the 1.8 petrol version with all round parking sensors and rear camera so never had a problem with parking etc and my 17inch alloys are pretty cool too. Tis very reliable and quiet...great car.
    Ooooh, parking sensors. I really want one now D Preferably this exact one, in fact - great colour and great wheels.

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=96ebcef8fd544cd59bf1b47dcb589c8d
    That one is very nice indeed. Will post a pic of mine later as its has side trims added too, might give you an idea if you fancy adding them as car looks quite sporty, luckily mine were already installed as it was an ex demo lol. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    edited February 2017
    This crap rear view thing is over egged. Yes it has the bar across the screen but it has no bearing whatsoever.

I drive a van with (surprise surprise) no rear visibility at all and get on with that fine too.

It's based mostly on conjecture that someone in the motoring press suggested and now everyone is of the opinion, even if they haven't driven one (people regularly ask me the question). If however you drive one and think it's a show stopper maybe then you need to re-take your test    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That estate looks gigantic!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    randella said:
    Sporky said:
    randella said:
    They cost a chunk less than a Skoda to be fair. 
    Her Focus cost more than my Fabia...
    It would, it's a bigger car - the Fiesta is a Fabia-sized car, the Octavia is the fairer comparison. 

I know you've got a Skoda thing going on, but you're bending the rules now ;)
    The Fabia (mine was an estate) had a bigger boot and more space inside than the Focus too - certainly more legroom in the back. The only thing that was better about the Focus was that it had a heated windscreen.

I just don't get the Ford thing having encountered a handful of them now.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

A mate has a Focus mk1 that has been shit. He's contemplated chopping it in for a Civic like mine.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    Deadman said:
    This crap rear view thing is over egged. Yes it has the bar across the screen but it has no bearing whatsoever.

I drive a van with (surprise surprise) no rear visibility at all and get on with that fine too.

It's based mostly on conjecture that someone in the motoring press suggested and now everyone is of the opinion, even if they haven't driven one (people regularly ask me the question). If however you drive one and think it's a show stopper maybe then you need to re-take your test    :)
    What about the lack of rear wiper? Isn't that a pain on the Honda? When I had a hatchback, the rear window was always getting covered in crap, I can't imagine it being any better on a Civic. 
  • Focus is the best value for money though?
    Previous dashboards looked like a mobile phone (ugh) but the new ones are better.
    Sporky said:
    randella said:
    Sporky said:
    randella said:
    They cost a chunk less than a Skoda to be fair. 
    Her Focus cost more than my Fabia...
    It would, it's a bigger car - the Fiesta is a Fabia-sized car, the Octavia is the fairer comparison. 

I know you've got a Skoda thing going on, but you're bending the rules now ;)
    The Fabia (mine was an estate) had a bigger boot and more space inside than the Focus too - certainly more legroom in the back. The only thing that was better about the Focus was that it had a heated windscreen.

@Sporky ;

They're comfortable for those of use weak of spine, they drive very nicely - great steering feel, progressive brakes, reasonably precise gearboxes.  They're as reliable as anything else out there.  Because you're paying for a car and not a badge they hemorrhage the list price in the blink of an eye which makes them incredible value secondhand.  The motoring press are generally in agreement so it's not just me.  Then again, the motoring press love themselves a Skoda too. 

To be honest, we could do this all day long and neither of use would be "right"; it's pretty hard to buy a shit car these days and we just prefer different things - horses/courses I guess.  :)

(Spoiler - I'd love an Octavia VRS wagon in that light metallic blue but I can't justify the spend for the very few miles I do these days)

Bucket said:
    Sporky said:

A mate has a Focus mk1 that has been shit. He's contemplated chopping it in for a Civic like mine.
    In mitigation, the Mk.1 cars will all be at least 12 years old by now.
    randella said:
    Bucket said:
    Sporky said:

His Focus is an 04 plate, my Civic is a 54 plate so there isn't much difference between them age-wise. His has also done just 40 or 45,000 miles, mine has done over 130,000. Yet his goes wrong and pisses him off constantly, and appears to be holding up far less well with age than mine, which has only ever let me down on consumables like brake pads, batteries etc. (touching wood).

Civics are built to last, clearly mk1 Focuses less so. And his is a 1.4 so it's deathly slow.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    randella said:
    Bucket said:
    Sporky said:

You'll always get people with good and bad experiences of any make as well. I've had 2001 and 2007 Focuses and both were completely trouble free. Had them for 12 years all told. I only got rid of the last one because it was as boring as a wet weekend in Cleethorpes. 
    Bucket said:
    randella said:
    Bucket said:
    Sporky said:

His Focus is an 04 plate, my Civic is a 54 plate so there isn't much difference between them age-wise. His has also done just 40 or 45,000 miles, mine has done over 130,000. Yet his goes wrong and pisses him off constantly, and appears to be holding up far less well with age than mine, which has only ever let me down on consumables like brake pads, batteries etc. (touching wood).

Civics are built to last, clearly mk1 Focuses less so. And his is a 1.4 so it's deathly slow.
    How has he got a 13 year old car with 40k on the clock?  If it's been used that little it's either short journeys where the engine never gets warm, or it's been laid up for a spell - neither is particularly friendly towards any car.  You're right about the engine at least, that 1.4 was gutless in the Fiesta, in a Focus I don't imagine it's particularly exciting.

Like @boogieman I've had Fords for years and never had any trouble with them - but it's anecdotal.  My story is as good as yours, i.e. we've both had minimal experience in the grand scheme of things - given the millions upon millions of the things Uncle Henry has managed to shift over the years.  I wouldn't let your mate's car put you off trying one, they've come on a bit...

...and If you don't then there are more for me anyway :)

• randella said:
    Bucket said:
    Sporky said:

My one is a MK1 2001, 16 years old, 166000 miles and still won't die. I think it's last service was by the previous owner 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    boogieman said:
    Deadman said:

What about the lack of rear wiper? Isn't that a pain on the Honda? When I had a hatchback, the rear window was always getting covered in crap, I can't imagine it being any better on a Civic. 
    Yeah that would be a pain. Mine has a rear wiper though, was unaware that the older one doesn't. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    randella said:

They're comfortable for those of use weak of spine, they drive very nicely - great steering feel, progressive brakes, reasonably precise gearboxes.  They're as reliable as anything else out there.
    I am aware that one Mondeo does not make a statistically significant sample, but after two weeks of having it I had a bad back - never had any trouble before. No feel through the steering, just that awful, constant tugging towards the kerb. Gearbox that would change down 3 cogs at a time to hit the rev limiter, then grudgingly change up so that you could accelerate five to ten seconds after hitting the go pedal.

As for reliability, it turned up with a misaligned sensor, the electronic parking brake randomly refused to disengage, the parking sensors went off while stopped and on the motorway and the entire dashboard (one big screen) turned itself off at 70.

Oh, and if you put MP3s into the stereo it played them all in alphabetical order, ignoring album folders and track numbers.

By some margin the worst car (and two worst dealers) I've ever encountered, and I include the awful Toyota Avensis I was lumbered with eight years ago in that!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • shoodursshoodurs Frets: 35
    edited February 2017