Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drinking too much diet coke

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I went through a period of having a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi Max every evening. Managed to cut back but I still feel the need for a fizzy drink most nights. I decided to get sugar free squash today instead, at least I can work on the fizzy craving.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    WezV said:
    Coke is an environmental mare as it takes 2.5 litres of water to make 1 litre of coke IIRC. 

unfortunately most drinks industries are the same.  You get a hell of a lot of waste just from cleaning the equipment.   A litre of water takes 1.5l tomake

Yeh, I imagined so. Always seems odd when you see people on the telly with bottles of coke in places where sufficient clean water is an issue. Maybe not such a big deal in the UK. 

I was watching something on YouTube about things invented by the Nazis and learned that Fanta was invented in Nazi Germany ( by their branch of Coca Cola). 

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/01/30/IMG_1035.png
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I can't drink sweet drinks these days. My missus drinks a lot of diet lemonade, I stopped drinking fizzy drinks decades ago along with having no sugar in my tea. fizzy drinks taste ungodly sweet to me nowadays.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    This thread is amazing, I had no idea some people drank that much. I drink literally zero fizzy drinks but I do have three coffees and 1/3 slab of chocolate daily. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    I never drink real Coke anymore although I used to drink it too much.

I never liked Diet Coke although I have been drinking the occasional cold can of the Diet Coke with Zero Caffeine (in the gold cans) and it's a nice change from water.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    I have been having Bavaria Shandy recently.   It's pretty amazing, but I still won't have more than 3 cans a a week.  

The only other fizzy drink I have is tonic water, never on its own ;)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    This thread is amazing, I had no idea some people drank that much. I drink literally zero fizzy drinks but I do have three coffees and 1/3 slab of chocolate daily. 
    I have 3 double shot coffees a day- it is essentially my last remaining vice and I refuse to give it up.
  • To combat my desire for alcohol, I've moved to Diet Tonic, ice and a slice, it's got the same fizz and bitterness of the alcoholic version, but I figure it must be better right?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I used to have quite a few cold diet cokes during the day but I found they were usually accompanied by a kit Kat, which wasn't good.
    I stopped the habit eventually, but what really stoped me was the price of a Diet Coke was getting outrageous £1.09 in some places.
    It is cancer in a can and I've had my fair share. The body can't deal or process the artificial crap contained in Diet Coke etc. its only water or coffee/tea during the day now.
    I remember seeing a picture of ingredients for Diet Coke with 'Hazardous Chemicals' on the side of the drum. And I found it very addictive  :s
  • The thought of drinking four or five cans of coke---diet or otherwise---every day makes me feel sick just thinking about it. *shudder*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Diet drinks esp Diet Coke use Aspartamine as the sweetener -there is a very strong suspicion that Aspartamine causes /can cause serious neurological disorders such as Parkinsons ,Motor Neurone desease etc .there has been a lot of restriction to reduce Aspartamine in recent years as a result - same goes for artificial diet sweeteners .
     Caffeine is being increasingly heralded as a wonder drug ,cancer fighter ,etc as is Cocoa /chocolate .
     But these views change every couple of years !!!! so who knows
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

Only a third? Come back when you are ready to join the men :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Dominic said:
    Diet drinks esp Diet Coke use Aspartamine as the sweetener -there is a very strong suspicion that Aspartamine causes /can cause serious neurological disorders such as Parkinsons ,Motor Neurone desease etc .there has been a lot of restriction to reduce Aspartamine in recent years as a result - same goes for artificial diet sweeteners .
     Caffeine is being increasingly heralded as a wonder drug ,cancer fighter ,etc as is Cocoa /chocolate .
    Please provide some evidence of this from a non-crazy source.
    These are complex diseases and there is a hell of a lot of nonsense written about what diet drinks supposedly cause.
    There was a comprehensive review of aspartame in 2013 and nothing like this was demonstrated.
    Further reading:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3496/abstract

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Dominic said:
    Please provide some evidence of this from a non-crazy source.
    These are complex diseases and there is a hell of a lot of nonsense written about what diet drinks supposedly cause.
    There was a comprehensive review of aspartame in 2013 and nothing like this was demonstrated.
    Further reading:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3496/abstract

Indeed. I've heard people cite that aspartame can react to form methanol - an entirely true fact. 

But aspartame is so strong a sweetener and present in such minute quantities you'd need to drink gallons to even hint at having a detectable amount in your body. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's good for you, but like most stuff, in moderation it's surely harmless. 

However, diet coke is awful for your teeth - quite acidic. The sweetness and caffeine mean it's quite addictive too - my girlfriend was truly addicted but kicked it when her dentist gave her a filling and told her off. 

You can't beat water, but sugar free squash or a good quality peppermint tea can help. I drink more peppermint currently as I have some quality stuff - very sweet and a lovely green colour, as opposed to the more bitter brown liquid peppermint tea bags make, in an effort to reduce my caffeine intake via coffee. 

edited January 2017
    Yeah the critical thing here is dosage.
    Bananas are radioactive but you'd need to eat an impossible amount for the dosage to be significant.
    A lot of what is written is predicated upon the naturalistic fallacy line- i.e. Anything man made = inherentlly bad for you vs anything natural = healthy, which is an absurd position.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I love Coke - the proper stuff, never Diet - but I find the quantities being described here astounding. The most I could ever drink is about half a litre in a day, and even that not every day.

I'd be amazed if drinking as much as some of you are saying wasn't harmful in the longer term.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Personally I think the odd can is fine, 5 a day can't be too good but I think the health risks are wildly exaggerated, even unfounded with many of the claims. I think consuming vast amount of acidic high sugar fruit juice is probably just as bad.  I also think people go on about drinking water too much, yeah it's good but there's no need to drink gallons when you are not even thirsty.  Also, caffiene is diuretic but tea is stil hydrating on account it has far more water in than the effect of the caffiene, plus the milk has calcium in.  So yeah, tea is good.  

• However, diet coke is awful for your teeth - quite acidic. The sweetness and caffeine mean it's quite addictive too - my girlfriend was truly addicted but kicked it when her dentist gave her a filling and told her off. 

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/Boozad_Bat/300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    octatonic said:
    I have 3 double shot coffees a day- it is essentially my last remaining vice and I refuse to give it up.
    Same teetotaller here, coffee's the only thing standing between ordinary bleakness and the void itself : )
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I recently had an addiction to Tropicana Orange and Mango Juice where I drank it instead of water. I realised that it was killing my teeth and managed to ease myself off of it.