Heater for my garage

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16098

DefaultM said:
    What do you do with the foam when you get around the plug sockets and light switches? Just squirt it in and don't worry?

We're pretty sure that the roof is made from asbestos. It's the sheeting stuff so only a problem if you start chipping bits off and handling it, but I won't be able to cut it out and tip those beads in.
    Correct -it is asbestos Ammocite or Chrysotile board  -do not disturb it ...........I wouldn't spend more time than necessary in there if the underside is exposed to it - if you haven't done so (and it is exposed ) spray it over with a 20%PVA solution which effectively seals it and prevents friability
     - if you are directly under the corrugated surface you will never keep it very warm as it has zero insulation value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    I'm not under it, there's a loft type section to the garage, so I've got a regular ceiling over me, then a space where you can crawl with the asbestos above it. Should tha be fine and not cancer  inducing? Haha 
    Yes - it's the lowest risk category asbestos anyway and you are well protected -there is more asbestos danger in old Artex on walls but people don't realise that 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24311
    You shouldn't have mentioned you're a building surveyor....   You're officially the forum's building expert now :-)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    edited February 2017
    AYK ceilings greatest heat loss - lagging if you have the space. If you have decent walls just dot and dab new boards on there, very fast. I would expect completed in a day and skimmed at that. [I did a plastering apprenticeship]. The modern screw system for plasterboards will carry huge weights and you don't even need a drill bit.

Pay attention to draughts - they steal heat very very quickly do not underestimate them. I have seen stupid situations where people have paid a fortune for double glazed windows and then you can feel a draught through the fittings!?!!
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader

One of my workshops is a brick built garage. There is a up and over door at one end of the garage that I built a stud wall in front of it to stop all the drafts. Over the yea’rs I've tried blow heaters, oil filled radiators, but for the last eight years or so I've been using mobile gas heaters. They are quite cheap to purchase think the last one I got was about £70. The running costs are very low compared to any of the electric heaters I've used in the past, a bottle of gas costs £34 that last at least four weeks, maybe a bit less when it's really cold. First thing in the morning I start the heater on the second highest setting, this takes the chill of the workshop very quickly, while I'm working I have heater on the lowest setting. The only downside on gas heaters, sometimes they do have an odd smell to them. I think the next time I replace a heater, I will still buy a gas heater but t one that is called black heat, that apparently does not have the gas smell to it.

Although an alternative to this is one of the new Dyson heater, one of my friends has one in his workshop. The are very weird, there doesn't seem to be any moving parts, yet they really do blow out a lot of heat. The other thing is with them, if you're sitting at a desk you can direct the heat directly at you, so you're not wasting money heating up the whole room when you're only need to heat up yourself. The only downside on these, they are very expensive, but not too expensive to run, compared to the normal fan heater.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Terrible condensation from all gas heaters -not great for guitars /tuning etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom