Delay -> Phaser or Phaser -> Delay?

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
As per the title...

I know it's going to be try it and see, but is there a 'normal' way round for this?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    Phaser first.

But now you've mentioned it I must try the reverse.
  • The conventional way is phaser first, but I bet the other way would sound really cool, now I think about it... 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    update: Phase after delay does sound good, it dulls the attack of the repeats (DD-7) and makes the wave of the phase more apparent. I prefer Phase first though for everyday use.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Definitely depends. I've done it both ways (missus), and actually prefer phasing the delay rather than delaying the phaser.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    I prefer phased delay to delayed phase because the phasing sweep continues on the repeats. I use a phaser more for the slower airy swirly sound rather than the faster watery bubbly sound. I must try it the other way round with the faster phasing though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4541
    I do like a phaser after delay. Tremolo after flanger is where I'm at right now
  • ICBM said:
    I prefer phased delay to delayed phase because the phasing sweep continues on the repeats. 

Funnily enough, I prefer modulation before delay because it breaks up the sweep more. I like the tonal changes and the sense of movement you get from having a flanger or a phaser on but not the constant swoosh noise, so modulations go pre-dirt (although generally not much dirt) and pre-delay for me.

But yeah, both are valid. I've just finished wiring up an order switcher pedal so I can run my M5 either in front of my amp / dirt pedals or after my delay in the effects loop and it's fun playing around with different effects in each position.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Call me stupid but...after all this time I'm still confused about what is meant by 'after' and what is 'before'.

So if the chain is amp <-- phaser <-- delay <-- distortion <-- guitar - would this make the phaser after or before? This is how I usually use it. The other way it kinda buries my DD7 (kinda like what JezWynd alluded to).
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4541
    edited February 2017
    @Dopesick ;;;
    after means amp side / output .. before means nearest the guitar / input

so your phaser is after your delay
    Aha that's what I thought.
  • Dopesick said:
    Call me stupid but...after all this time I'm still confused about what is meant by 'after' and what is 'before'.

So if the chain is amp <-- phaser <-- delay <-- distortion <-- guitar - would this make the phaser after or before? This is how I usually use it. The other way it kinda buries my DD7 (kinda like what JezWynd alluded to).
    To my way of thinking that's a backwards way of writing it. Your signal starts with you hitting a note so it's guitar-distortion-delay-phaser-amp surely? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dopesick said:

To my way of thinking that's a backwards way of writing it. Your signal starts with you hitting a note so it's guitar-distortion-delay-phaser-amp surely? 
    Yep. Tone comes from the fingers, so that's where the journey begins.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Dopesick said:

I just wrote it out the same direction visually as I see it on my board, but yeah you're right.
  • Delay at the front, everything else after :-D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom