New Dr Z Cure - now with my personal clip!

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited May 2017 in Amps
New amp from Dr Z

Lightweight grab and go! Full Band Eq, Volume (pre gain) Master (Power Tube) and a awesome "Level" Control Which is a new thing. Very smooth transparent overall level which doesn't effect the tone.

Effects loop

33lbs!

Eq bypass for solo boost.

http://drzamps.com/product/cure/

All in at £1299 from peaches guitars which is a crazy price for a handwired top american brand. limited only as its one colour no custom options

I do like Dr Z. I think there have a lot of character and very touch responsive. 

Here are a few vids...

Only little clips but i think sounds great 

Heres mine! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fysBgs69Y

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That sounds great and as you say a great price too for a USA hand wired amp. I'd like to try one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are they doing a Robert Smith signature model? ;)
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited February 2017
    So, is the 'Level' control a power scaling / attenuating sort of a thing?  The Dr Z website isn't exactly forthcoming...

It just describes it as a "global level control".

Hmmm... Helpful.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • So, is the 'Level' control a power scaling / attenuating sort of a thing?  The Dr Z website isn't exactly forthcoming...

It just describes it as a "global level control".

Hmmm... Helpful.
    Think it's just an overall master volume but with a fancy description
  • it doesn't take you from -3db to 5db for an example its very linear and smooth. great from getting your tone from any room and venue
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited February 2017
    There's loads of info on this amp on the Z-Talk forum, including that level control. I think the idea is you set your balance between master and volume to get the amount of breakup you want, then use the level control to make it louder or quieter. Kind of like an overall master but apparently not the same. Seems to work well, according to those who bought one.

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2017
    Is there much gain on the amp. Can't be sure as one of the videos uses a drive pedal 
  • sounds like there is quite a bit on the second to last vid with the gibson jr. not sure if its eq bypassed or not
  • I ended up buying one with lots of gear selling. Only had a hour with it but it sounds amazing!

great price and build quality is amazing. It's the 4th dr z I have had now and this is really versitille! The most yet with the level control.

just recorded a short clip, excuse the playing

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh great! Now I'll buy one, tinker with it for weeks. Then flog it for half what I paid and go back to using the Maz 18. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I ended up buying one with lots of gear selling. Only had a hour with it but it sounds amazing!

great price and build quality is amazing. It's the 4th dr z I have had now and this is really versitille! The most yet with the level control.

Wow!

Nice work buddy. It sounds great :)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    edited February 2017
    I can't listen to the clips right now. Is the Cure blackface or tweed inspired?
  • Lebarque said:
    I can't listen to the clips right now. Is the Cure blackface or tweed inspired?
    Blackface inspired. Effectively a cut down Z-Lux
    Congrats! Can you say how the Cure compares with other Z amps, particularly the Maz 18 which is possibly on my shopping list? I know it's 6v6 rather than EL84 driven, but nevertheless I'm curious. 

Is your guitar lead made from the cable from your iron?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited February 2017
    Looks good and sounds great in your clip. If I were amp shopping around the grand mark, this would be a top contender.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It does seem extremely reasonably priced bearing in mind they come from the states.
  • Is there much gain on the amp. Can't be sure as one of the videos uses a drive pedal 
    on the current vid i have the volume set at 3 o'clock and master at 12. It has plenty of gain when or if you need it. depends what style you play

richardhomer

ironning is my passion

• Misty said:
    Congrats! Can you say how the Cure compares with other Z amps, particularly the Maz 18 which is possibly on my shopping list? I know it's 6v6 rather than EL84 driven, but nevertheless I'm curious. 
    The cure is more versatile in my opinion. You can set it so you have lots of clean headroom or get real dirty at any volume! Which is amazing. Tone stays the same. 

The Cure is more blackface (although can get into the brownface/tweed side too) The maz is more vox. 

The Cure has a smoother overdrive where as the maz when crank it can sound quite bright and gritty. 

Personally i much prefer the Cure but you have to try them out. I did love my Maz 38sr that i had which was a clean pedal platform. Didn't bond with my Maz 18nr as much. The Cure wins due to versatility and portability. It weights 33lbs!!!
    edited February 2017
    Thanks! My Maz 38 is going nowhere, but I've been considering getting an 18 as well. However, that Cure is tempting, and your comments make it more so. Good luck with it.