Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    I think this is a lot to do with the seemingly regular appearance for sale, people get swept up in the hype, expecting this do all, multi-genre spanning turd polisher and are then somewhat disappointed when it turns out to be just a VERY impressive take on the tweed circuit.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I ordered one in July last year, and it is due to be delivered later today.  Cue the drum roll...

I know what to expect, as I've briefly played one before.  What I haven't done though is play it with different guitars, I've only tried one with a regular strat, so am looking forward to hearing it with P90 and humbucker guitars!

I suspect that Neil may be spot on though - good as they are, they are a high quality tweed circuit, and if that is what you like you'll be happy.  If you want something different, then there are lots of other solutions out there, with channel switching, modelling, built-in effects and so on. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to plugging in tonight!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    @ruoma said:
    Easy, 6V6, Lazy J, 6L6...  =) :p
    ha ha , nope not one right actually.... though that kind of gives it away, first one is the Lazy J, second with the kit amp with 6L6's and third kit amp with 6V6.

I have just modded a Weinbrock Gringo (deluxe with 6L6's) with a 1/2 power switch, a Master volume with blocking cure and negative feedback option, it is now a more versatile amp, still the same sort of sounds though, but much better suited to home playing.

I can't imagine there will be many that just have the LazyJ, you would need some additional variation, even if its just an EQ pedal to get some different clean tones
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Going back to something that was mentioned earlier...

There was a dismissive comment about the HiWatt being a tagboard build.

If you look closely at the rats nest Carr, I can see some tag board there - also in the Matchless. Its just the components are strung between two pieces rather than neatly from eyelet to eyelet.

Erm, or am I missing something?

I don't have an opinion on Lazy J, as I've never played through one... I didn't like the Carrs I played through though.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:

If you look closely at the rats nest Carr, I can see some tag board there - also in the Matchless. Its just the components are strung between two pieces rather than neatly from eyelet to eyelet.

I don't have an opinion on Lazy J, as I've never played through one... I didn't like the Carrs I played through though.
    I don't think it was intended to be dismissive, just to correct someone who called it point-to-point. 

It is a tricky one, as PTP will nearly always have some tag-strip to anchor components to. Bit of a grey-area to what purists would constitute as true PTP I reckon. 
  • impmann said:

I don't think it was intended to be dismissive, just to correct someone who called it point-to-point. 

It is a tricky one, as PTP will nearly always have some tag-strip to anchor components to. Bit of a grey-area to what purists would constitute as true PTP I reckon. 

Yeah, that was me. It wasn't dismissive at all.

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    impmann said:

Yeah, that was me. It wasn't dismissive at all.

R.
    Sorry chap - I read more into it than was there. :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    richh said:
    I ordered one in July last year, and it is due to be delivered later today.  Cue the drum roll...

I know what to expect, as I've briefly played one before.  What I haven't done though is play it with different guitars, I've only tried one with a regular strat, so am looking forward to hearing it with P90 and humbucker guitars!

I suspect that Neil may be spot on though - good as they are, they are a high quality tweed circuit, and if that is what you like you'll be happy.  If you want something different, then there are lots of other solutions out there, with channel switching, modelling, built-in effects and so on. 

Look forward to your update later tonight :) 

I mostly play through blackface Princeton, but, I'm currently having urges for tweed deluxe or similar. 
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    richh said:

Put a cushion under your chin, your gonna love it! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited February 2017
    what strikes me about this thread is that people who own or have owned them are generally very positive and people who haven't are looking at the specs and calling hype 
    There are two sides to that, one calls 'purchase justification' the other cites lack of actual experience
    I picked up one in a trade for a Two Rock, just out of curiosity and I have to say, in my opinion they do have a certain something. Whether it's the voicing or the quality of the speaker or lots of little things adding up I am very impressed at what is a very useable amp
    I don't know if you could recreate it more cheaply out of parts but I haven't heard one that does yet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited February 2017
    Cabicular said:
    what strikes me about this thread is that people who own or have owned them are generally very positive and people who haven't are looking at the specs and calling hype 
    There are two sides to that, one calls 'purchase justification' the other cites lack of actual experience
    I picked up one in a trade for a Two Rock, just out of curiosity and I have to say, in my opinion they do have a certain something. Whether it's the voicing or the quality of the speaker or lots of little things adding up I am very impressed at what is a very useable amp
    I don't know if you could recreate it more cheaply out of parts but I haven't heard one that does yet
    Just on the hype thing. I ordered mine purely on the basis of hearing it demo'd in chandlers - hadn't read any reviews and wasn't even a member of this forum ;)

You're right on the various biases tho, and I guess that applies to any piece of gear. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    right but has anyone got to the bottom of this yet or can it be both? Loads of hype yet actually brilliant. 
  • There'll be no end to this. They'll be the haters and the lovers. It's just a personal thing and a leap of faith. :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    shaunm said:
    right but has anyone got to the bottom of this yet or can it be both? Loads of hype yet actually brilliant. 
    Of course it can be both. Most brilliant things are hyped because they are brilliant. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Lebarque said:
    shaunm said:
    Of course it can be both. Most brilliant things are hyped because they are brilliant. 
    And there we have it 
  • Lebarque said:
    shaunm said:
    Bingo
    I got my new J20 yesterday, and to the extent I've played it yesterday and today, am loving it. I had played a used one a long time back, but there will be some differences. The one I played had a Tayden speaker, my one has a Celestion Blue, which is new and will hopefully improve as it is played in. I don't know what, if any, differences there are on the current ones to the older one I tried, probably minimal if any.

I've played it with many different guitars with single coil / P90 and humbuckers and it sound good on all to my ears, but of course very different in sound and in gain staging.

One thing that I'm not particularly keen on is the VAC, and again on the one I tried I wasn't particularly impressed.  First off, it doesn't seem to have much noticeable effect until you really scale it back, and at that point it doesn't to my ears retain the excitement of playing the amp of full whack.  But this may be a subjective thing - sometimes it is the sheer volume that helps and of course the speaker can't react the same way as if it is being pushed, that just isn't possible.

I haven't been able to really crank the amp unfortunately yet, wish I could!  Sounds plently load to me, but of course with a loud drummer it might not then seem so loud.  Hard to compare from a small room at home to a gig situation, but it certainly does have poke! Depending what pickups are used it seems to have more headroom than I'd expected.

I'm not going to attempt to give any balanced opinion at this point, but no regrets even given the huge price tag, it is the real deal!  But probably not an ideal pedal platform for a player who needs to cover all bases, but a damn great tone machine!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Some of us got in early before the hype...the pre-hype models are fetching a fortune these days... 

@richh The VAC really comes into its own at gig levels. It's not that great for taming the amp down to 'bedroom' levels but does come into its own when the amp is cranked and you just need to dial it back a bit. You should see the benefits of it then
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • If you want to tame it get an l-pad made for it as I have recently. Answered all my needs. Only got home use though. I open her up st a gig thought :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    @miserneil thanks for the VAC tip, that makes sense!

@hotpickups not sure what you mean by I-pad, is this some other kind of attenuator or something?

It sounds great even at relatively low levels, but it would be great to be able to get more cranked sounds at lower volume levels.