Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5281
    around £2300 fully loaded I think maybe a bit less,  FWIW I got one yesterday, (2nd time round) great amp IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    mgaw said:
    around £2300 fully loaded I think maybe a bit less,  FWIW I got one yesterday, (2nd time round) great amp IMO
    :+1: congratulations :mrgreen: 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• I must admit I'm not missing mine ....... yet ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited December 2018
    I must admit I'm not missing mine ....... yet
    All in time David... I have a few other (tasty) amps, but keep coming back to my J20H. I love that tweed sound.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    " Love that Tweed sound"..........is a fairly generic statement
    The Gartone Bluesman , Vyse and possibly the Victoria will all do the same job
    IMO the gartone is best of the lot 
    It is a great sound in a 20w package and such a useful size/weight
    Lazy J has the hype factor but I really don't think there is a gnat's cock between them
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Lazy J has the hype factor but I really don't think there is a gnat's cock between them
    Calm down Dom, my reply was to David, who I know well, and who recently let his J20 go rather than a reply to whether LJ deserve the hype or not. 

On the subject of hype, never tried the Bluesman and if there's "nothing more than a gnat's cock" between them I'd consider whichever has the best resale in case the amp didn't work out. FWIW the best tweed amp I've played was built by Chris @RiftAmps ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richh said:
    Thanks, I'll have another try out.  I understand that the volume / gain control of the 'other' channel - the one you are not currently plugged in to - has an effect of the active channel.  So I'll have to experiment with this.  I assume that is what @Wazmeister means by blending?

I guess you’ve worked out the controls by now, but I found the attached video useful , even after I’d had my J20 for quite a while.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VN2vqCxaeC0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Having owned and tried many 5E3 style amps, I too think the Gartone is the best. They have a really muscular presence and are far better suited to gigging than any others I have had.

I have a pair of the little belters.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5776
    Is this going to turn in to ‘who’s is the best 5e3’ thread?

There should be a prize for the first person not say ‘mine’

Wont be me sadly. Mine actually is the best 5e3 ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    edited December 2018
    I’ve only owned one 5e3, but I did play Wishbones’ Lazyj 20 that pumkin now owns... It was very nice..... I call my Tweedyluxe the ‘Poor man’s Lazyj’ it is very sweet sounding and looks pretty cool too

https://i.imgur.com/3Swjloy.jpg
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Dominic said:
    Calm down Dom, my reply was to David, who I know well, and who recently let his J20 go rather than a reply to whether LJ deserve the hype or not. 

On the subject of hype, never tried the Bluesman and if there's "nothing more than a gnat's cock" between them I'd consider whichever has the best resale in case the amp didn't work out. FWIW the best tweed amp I've played was built by Chris @RiftAmps ;
    Sorry,hope you didn't misunderstand .....I didn't mean that disparagingly
    .......I was trying to say " that Tweed sound" ........there's alternatives at the top end, ie ; I really don't think Lazy J has a monopoly on the best Tweed sounds.
    @Ossyrocks........Yup,glad you find the same as me.......you hit the nail on the head ..."Muscular" is spot on the right word.
    They are bastard Loud and very raunchy little things
  • Stop it you're starting to think I want one again ;)
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    +2 for Gartone - I have a LP Tweed Twin / Pro hybrid that finally gave me what I wanted in a Tweed, after trying a number of alternatives.
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • Well, Guitar magazine gave the Lazy J10LC the front cover and amp of the year title...
    He’s only gone and done it again.. rock on Jesse !
  • Slightly OT but I built as Vyse 5E3 a couple of years ago. I actually chose to build it without any understanding of what a 5E3 amp was and largely on the basis that it looked simple. My strategy was that I would build a 'decent' amp afterwards... :)

I've never played a Lazy J but if it's better than my 5E3 then it must be something very, very special. I'd go as far to say that the Tweed is the only amp I've ever owned that I've never had the thought when playing 'this would be better with a bit of reverb'

Si
  • Personally if I was ever to go down the tweed route again I'd be looking at gartone or rift now. Very nice amp builds they are. Their other amp models they do are pretty special too 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5776
    Slightly OT but I built as Vyse 5E3 a couple of years ago. I actually chose to build it without any understanding of what a 5E3 amp was and largely on the basis that it looked simple. My strategy was that I would build a 'decent' amp afterwards... :)

I've never played a Lazy J but if it's better than my 5E3 then it must be something very, very special. I'd go as far to say that the Tweed is the only amp I've ever owned that I've never had the thought when playing 'this would be better with a bit of reverb'

Si
    The Lazy Js I’ve heard have been super sweet amps but nothing sounds better than my Vyse. Not to my ears anyway. 

Does depend what you want from your amp naturally. 
  • I bought a second hand Tungsten Mosaic MK2 from America a few years back for £500. I A/B'd it with a lazy J, Yeah they both sound the same, that tweed midrange hump. I'm a blackface Brownface kindda guy. I turn my back on someone when they start charging £1200 for an amp then £2200.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Apart from maker / price etc and more about that mid hump thing. Try any of these amps loud and you will notice that midrange actually works quite nicely in a band mix. Not so prominent.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    cbellanga said:
    Apart from maker / price etc and more about that mid hump thing. Try any of these amps loud and you will notice that midrange actually works quite nicely in a band mix. Not so prominent.
    Exactly. Agree. That's the point. Tweed rules, especially for single coils. Blackface is all well and good at home, but can disappear in a band mix, especially if you're playing single coils. Actually, I've had an idea: you could use extra heavy strings and stick a tube screamer on. What do you reckon?