Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Also, isn't hype normally implies the initial period? If something has been out for like a decade, and it is still perceived to be good, I don't think it's hype anymore, it's just good.  Like there is no hype regarding the Godfather is a good movie; it's just a good movie.
    Bingo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Also, isn't hype normally implies the initial period? If something has been out for like a decade, and it is still perceived to be good, I don't think it's hype anymore, it's just good.  Like there is no hype regarding the Godfather is a good movie; it's just a good movie.
    You know what, I never knew they'd been out that long. Thought it was a relatively new amp. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You know, the length of this thread speaks volumes to me ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Also, isn't hype normally implies the initial period? If something has been out for like a decade, and it is still perceived to be good, I don't think it's hype anymore, it's just good.  Like there is no hype regarding the Godfather is a good movie; it's just a good movie.

I don't think anybody is not saying they are not good.  The tweed deluxe is a simple, but great circuit.  Upgrade the transformer and put some 6L6's in there.  Tweak a few components. People have been doing that for years because it makes a great amp more usable.  Put in a decent speaker like Celestion Blue like people have been doing for years and you have a great amp.  The hype is by some owners that seem to claim the wheel has been reinvented and there's some special sauce in a Lazy J that nobody else can get without buying a Lazy J.  That's hype.

Honestly the circuit is so simple.  I'll probably buy a kit and get tweaking myself.  You could change every component to come up with tailored specifically to your own ear in a weekend or 2.

This looks a good resource btw 

https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Also, isn't hype normally implies the initial period? If something has been out for like a decade, and it is still perceived to be good, I don't think it's hype anymore, it's just good.  Like there is no hype regarding the Godfather is a good movie; it's just a good movie.

I don't think anybody is not saying they are not good.  The tweed deluxe is a simple, but great circuit.  Upgrade the transformer and put some 6L6's in there.  Tweak a few components. People have been doing that for years because it makes a great amp more usable.  Put in a decent speaker like Celestion Blue like people have been doing for years and you have a great amp.  The hype is by some owners that seem to claim the wheel has been reinvented and there's some special sauce in a Lazy J that nobody else can get without buying a Lazy J.  That's hype.

Honestly the circuit is so simple.  I'll probably buy a kit and get tweaking myself.  You could change every component to come up with tailored specifically to your own ear in a weekend or 2.

That's the definition of hype.

People experience it, raves about it, put the standard HIGH.

Next people experience it, raves about it, puts the standard HIGH.

Rinse and repeat, and it constantly lives up to the "hype".  Eventually, it's not hype anymore, it's just expectations and it constantly lives up to the expectations, owner after owner.

It's not about circuits or internals, its simply living up to the high expectations and it does.  Whatever tests to needs to pass to justify itself, I think the hardest hurdle for anything is the passage of time and time has proved that the Lazy J is still here.

It's just a good amp, and worth the hype.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2017

Of course anyone can copy exactly a Lazy J and it will sound exactly the same. There's no magic, no doubt. Funnily enough though I said this to Jesse when I first met him a few years back and asked if he was worried about that. His reply was simply not at all because now he has a brand and you can't just copy that. He's right you know

Another thing one has to take on board too is the fact that Jesse came up with the winning formula by changing capacitors, trannys, speaker choice etc etc etc. You have to give him credit for his experience and a very good ear to judge with. Great guitar player too
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Anyone can clone a Dumble, Klone, Timmy but we all know deep down, we want the brand as much as the product because there is always the part of you want that last 1%, whatever it is.
  •  

Of course anyone can copy exactly a Lazy J and it will sound exactly the same. There's no magic, no doubt. Funnily enough though I said this to Jesse when I first met him a few years back and asked if he was worried about that. His reply was simply not at all because now he has a brand and you can't just copy that. He's right you know

Another thing one has to take on board too is the fact that Jesse came up with the winning formula by changing capacitors, trannys, speaker choice etc etc etc. You have to give him credit for his experience and a very good ear to judge with. Great guitar player too

Who said anything about copying a Lazy J?  The mods I'd do are well known and have been around for years, long before Lazy J were around.

No issue with the particular Lazy J formula, well done to him I say and I have no doubt the amps sound great.  There is devil in the detail and perhaps I'll know a bit more when I've built and tweaked one myself, hopefully a project I can get done this year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

As someone who used to build amps and toyed with the idea of trying to make a living out of it, the reason I didn't was they would have to be up at Lazy J prices to make it viable (and Id have to sell some).  Hats off to Modulus, MJW and anyone else making a go if it and charging less, I would imagine it's not easy. 

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2017
    The brand is very powerful though is what I'm saying. How many of us plough a pile of cash to an unknown amp builder and just hope for the best? I know I wouldn't. Albeit I have a bit with my next amp I'm having built but it isn't as expensive as a lazy j. Lazy J's brand was already in place when it got my attention. Admittedly mainly after discovering Nalle Colt of Vintage Trouble  

Carrs, Louis electric and the boutique  ilk are the same really i.e. need hype to get them heard to compete with the big boys I.e. Fender,  Marshall etc 
  • Anyone can clone a Dumble, Klone, Timmy but we all know deep down, we want the brand as much as the product because there is always the part of you want that last 1%, whatever it is.
    Agree with that but they are bad examples being all completely original designs (as fare as I'm aware).  The Lazy J would be more like the best modded RAT or Marshall Bluesbreaker I guess.  KOT or Shur Riot would be better examples.    But yeah, I agree about the brand and sometimes it is worth it knowing you have the brand with the mojo.  I go for it myself sometimes.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I miss MJW already....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It is strange how almost every Lazy J owner really really sings their praises... meaning, that there is something a bit special about them... I am an ex-owner but wouldn't hesitate to own one again.

They remain a very special amp to me...
    Not true in my case. I had one for about eight months. Gigged it regularly and recorded with it. Sold it because I felt it was one of those amps that sound great in isolation but a bit ordinary with the band.  I now accept that the tweed deluxe thing simply doesn't do it for me. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    It is strange how almost every Lazy J owner really really sings their praises... meaning, that there is something a bit special about them... I am an ex-owner but wouldn't hesitate to own one again.

They remain a very special amp to me...
    Not true in my case. I had one for about eight months. Gigged it regularly and recorded with it. Sold it because I felt it was one of those amps that sound great in isolation but a bit ordinary with the band.  I now accept that the tweed deluxe thing simply doesn't do it for me. 
    See, This show how we are all different as I thought the opposite. In isolation the J20 leaves me lacking (I MUCH prefer the J40) but with a band I think it really shines. It really cuts through most mixes as its so mid focused.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Does anyone else find the LJ's better with HB or P90s or is this just me?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    I mainly use a les Paul in fact it's the only guitar I have now. But last year I had a Strat too and yes I also felt that the j20 sounded better with humbuckers. But maybe it's just the sound I like. I never was really a strat man 
  • Gassage said:
    I much prefer my J20 with single coils, then P90s, then buckers.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Gassage said:
    Further proof, if any needed, that I talk mostly complete bollocks.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Gassage said:
    This. Hottish Tele pickups, or my LP with P90s are both fab with the J20. Humbuckers not quite so much for me

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    New set of PAF's courtesy of Montys Guitars...my LP into my J20 is now amazing!