Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Barney said:
    Iv never tried a Lazy J so i cant comment on the sound but im sure they are great amps from all the reports iv heard about them ..but do you not think by charging more money people feel as though they are getting something really special ..iff they were maybe £800 they would be less appealing because you feel you are not getting the quality..

I think this is true with a lot of products and even services ..not just amps ..im sure a lot of us have looked at a item and think ...oh that cant be much good cos it only such and such .... or because something is a load of money it dosnt make it great .... im not saying this at all about Lazy j amps BTW ..but maybe he has got his marketing right . ?

I guess 'perceived value' is always greater with a more expensive product...

Indeed. Sometimes, it's fine, sometimes it's not.  I think it's fair to say Jesse makes a quality product. 

Some names really harm the hand made industry - remember the rebadged joyo overdrive? perceived value was very high for those... Didn't make them worth more than thirty quid though. Even if it did have the minor mod and a 'red dot' on it. 

I think those that have damaged the handmade industry have a lot to answer for. Jesse markets at the high end crowd - well heeled players and players who demand the best from their gear and have saved the pennies. It also appeals to those who want bragging rights, but it's fair to say that's not necessarily who he's aiming for! And that's totally cool. 
    Well I certainly wouldn't call myself 'well heeled' but very selective with what I buy. I guess it's my main interest / hobby though and don't drink much or go clubbing etc so this might effect my spending ;). No one I know would know what my amp is if I put it in front of them – Heathens LOL. I just love the sound of it ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is strange how almost every Lazy J owner really really sings their praises... meaning, that there is something a bit special about them... I am an ex-owner but wouldn't hesitate to own one again.

They remain a very special amp to me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    It is strange how almost every Lazy J owner really really sings their praises... meaning, that there is something a bit special about them... I am an ex-owner but wouldn't hesitate to own one again.

I'm not sure about that @Wazmeister - it seems to be the same few posting every time these threads pop up..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfan said:
    It is strange how almost every Lazy J owner really really sings their praises... meaning, that there is something a bit special about them... I am an ex-owner but wouldn't hesitate to own one again.

I'm not sure about that @Wazmeister - it seems to be the same few posting every time these threads pop up..
    Because we spend too much time perusing the pages here. Which reminds me I must get back to work :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4264
    edited February 2017

Hmmm... Not really strange at all... What will be strange is when we start reading posts from people saying how completely shite the amp is that they have just spent £2k on. I am yet to see that. 

People like to re-assure themselves that what they have spent big bucks on, is worth the money and the best you can get, and posting words on a forum helps that, particularly if other owners respond to support it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Unless, of course, the amp is actually really good :)
  • There are may reasons why Lazy J amps have been successful, eg. (in no particular order) Jesse's reputation, contacts at Chandlers, they're good, hype. There are also reasons why they are priced as they are, eg. small volumes, hand-built, market forces, etc.

None of this is particularly ground-breaking or surprising.

Sometimes, the stars are aligned and things just work out.

R.

• Barney said:
    Iv never tried a Lazy J so i cant comment on the sound but im sure they are great amps from all the reports iv heard about them ..but do you not think by charging more money people feel as though they are getting something really special ..iff they were maybe £800 they would be less appealing because you feel you are not getting the quality..

I think this is true with a lot of products and even services ..not just amps ..im sure a lot of us have looked at a item and think ...oh that cant be much good cos it only such and such .... or because something is a load of money it dosnt make it great .... im not saying this at all about Lazy j amps BTW ..but maybe he has got his marketing right . ?

I guess 'perceived value' is always greater with a more expensive product...

Indeed. Sometimes, it's fine, sometimes it's not.  I think it's fair to say Jesse makes a quality product. 

Some names really harm the hand made industry - remember the rebadged joyo overdrive? perceived value was very high for those... Didn't make them worth more than thirty quid though. Even if it did have the minor mod and a 'red dot' on it. 

I think those that have damaged the handmade industry have a lot to answer for. Jesse markets at the high end crowd - well heeled players and players who demand the best from their gear and have saved the pennies. It also appeals to those who want bragging rights, but it's fair to say that's not necessarily who he's aiming for! And that's totally cool. 
    Well I certainly wouldn't call myself 'well heeled' but very selective with what I buy. I guess it's my main interest / hobby though and don't drink much or go clubbing etc so this might effect my spending ;). No one I know would know what my amp is if I put it in front of them – Heathens LOL. I just love the sound of it ;)

You come under my second point then - 'and players who demand the best from their gear and have saved the pennies'. 

I've had gear that my income 'can't afford' before ;) but it was well worth saving for! That's his audience, it's not aimed at people who just want a decent amp that'll approximate the sound of their favourite players, it's for people who demand a tweed deluxe tone without the flub. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    There is a chance that the Lazy J are utter turd and it is all hyper.  True, there is that chance.

However, think about it, if I were to start an amp business base on hype, eventually once the amps are out there, after initial euphoria has died down, the truth will slowly come out and any cowboy won't stay in business for long because of the reputation will dwindle.  

Lazy J is the opposite of that, so logic dictates there has to be some truth in how good the amp is.  To find out how much it suits you is a question a forum can't exactly answer and one that you have to try it out yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4264
    Of course they are really good.....Most small builder amps at that price bracket are. I have owned a boatload of Carr, Victoria, Top Hat, Dr Z, etc. They are all really good. All just different, not particularly one better than the other. Just personal taste. Nobody is saying they are not really good. Lol. But this thread is about Lazy J hype, and it has to be said, the hype is probably a little out of control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited February 2017

This was 2015 price list.

So what's so different about that pricing to the fender amps? 
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/8150504100/combo-amps/fender-57-custom-deluxe-with-tweed-finish

If you were to remove the vac it would even be 150£ cheaper for a higher wattage amp. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    It's also interesting what is classified as success in the small world of guitar gear - I very much doubt Jes is rolling around in Aston Martins as a result of selling amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    ruoma said:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/8150504100/combo-amps/fender-57-custom-deluxe-with-tweed-finish

If you were to remove the vac it would even be 150£ cheaper for a higher wattage amp. 
    Fair point actually. Hadn't realised how expensive the Fender ones are. Quick Google shows the Tweed Deluxe is £1800. Why Fender haven't come out with an affordable version to tap into the current popularity is beyond me. Unless they have and I never noticed/they call it something else. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    ruoma said:

Fair point actually. Hadn't realised how expensive the Fender ones are. Quick Google shows the Tweed Deluxe is £1800. Why Fender haven't come out with an affordable version to tap into the current popularity is beyond me. Unless they have and I never noticed/they call it something else. 
    The Edge signature Deluxe is an round and about attempt at a J20 and is £1928 RRP.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    ruoma said:

The Edge signature Deluxe is an round and about attempt at a J20 and is £1928 RRP.
    Just noticed that too. I'm sure they could come up with a slightly more affordable mass produced tweed deluxe - maybe £800ish ballpark. Unless they don't think they'd sell enough? 
  • May be Fender should be licensing the design and make them in bigger numbers? If I were Mr Lazy J - in fact especially if I were Mr Lazy J - I'd far rather take a chunk of money from Fender than have to keep wielding a soldering iron....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    May be Fender should be licensing the design and make them in bigger numbers? If I were Mr Lazy J - in fact especially if I were Mr Lazy J - I'd far rather take a chunk of money from Fender than have to keep wielding a soldering iron....
    There's no design to license though. None of the Lazy J circuitry will be copyrighted. Fender could bring out something identical without issue.

Unless you mean Fender buy the Lazy J name? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    May be Fender should be licensing the design and make them in bigger numbers? If I were Mr Lazy J - in fact especially if I were Mr Lazy J - I'd far rather take a chunk of money from Fender than have to keep wielding a soldering iron....
    I guess the point is, at least to the buyer, the attraction of getting an amp from Jesse is you know Jesse is making it, by hand, one by one.  

When you are getting a Fender, even if customshop, it's a no face builder, and you lose that little bit of niche and aura you get from a real boutique builder.

And naturally, it will drive up the desirability of the original handmade one even more, like PRS pre-85 guitars, such as the guitar world.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited February 2017
    Lazy J threads are like Chappers, Bonamassa, "shred vs feel" threads. They come up every so often, the same topics get covered ad nauseum and the same knickers seem to get twisted. 

To me Lazy J amps are very good and worth the outlay. I dare say most will love the sound of them, but some won't and some wouldn't dream of laying down the required levels of cash on a tweed deluxe style amp. Life is full of choices folks...

/thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    One of the big draws for me is the fact that the builder is on the end of the phone/email if there is a problem. I've told this story a few times but the first time I was in contact with Jesse is when I had bought a J20 (off the Musicradar forum) and I thought it was very average so I bunged it on eBay to shift it.

This was in the early days of Lazy J and Jesse contacted me via eBay to ask why I was selling and what I didn't like about it. I told him it was as flat as a turd! He asked for the serial number and then explained that it was a custom order and that he had modified it to the customers requests as it was built.

He offered to return it to stock FOC and if I still didn't like it, he would give me some names of people on his waiting list that would probably buy it. 

I didn't have the time to take it back to him so he arranged to have the required parts sent to me, again FOC, and we then had a Skype call where he sat and talked me through, for a good hour, how to go about reversing the mods and bring it back to stock, which we then did over Skype! And all this bearing in mind he hadn't seen a penny of my cash as I had bought it second hand!

Service like that can't be underestimated IMO.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom