Getting flustered trying to improvise over changes

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I use the Roots/3rds/7ths thing as well in my lessons. Stops the solo sounding too scale like and you can get some really nice phrases if you articulate them well. It also helps you learn the intervals all over the fretboard as you know where it is in relation to the note you're going to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited July 2017
    Always amazes me the tunes you can pull out improvising over Gaint Steps. It's really really hard (I think) but worth it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    I won't add anything that hasn't been said above. they are all great ideas and thoughts. there is one thing I will leave you to consider. sometimes practicing and focussing can have a detrimental effect. take a day off, relax, do something else. maybe don't even play the guitar, certainly don't listen to anymore jazz! listen to something else, do something else. sometimes having a break and returning to the task, you will hear, feel and think just that little sharper.

good luck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited August 2017
    Slow down and work on things in chunks- there is no other way.
    It takes years and years- I'll let you know when I get there.

IMO the best way into it is to transcribe the solos of other players.
    You do go through a period where you are essentially imitating other people but it is a necessary stage in your musical development.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    octatonic said:

You do go through a period where you are essentially imitating other people but it is a necessary stage in your musical development.

perfectly put.. have a wis
    play every note as if it were your first
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited September 2017
    octatonic said:

Yes you're right there, with regards to transcribing and learning licks from other players I read something that made perfect sense to me. I think it was in Jason Lyon's Jazz Pentatonics book, and he said that when you're growing up you learn words and phrases from your parents, the people around you, and TV, and you copy what they say.  As you get older you don't talk exactly like them, you develop  your own way of using these words and phrases.  When I read this suddenly the process of learning licks and phrases made sense.   
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Throw all your books into the bin and use your ears. The answer on how to improvise is on all the great recordings, you just need to listen obsessively and then copy what you're hearing.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited October 2017
    I find it easier to think in terms of triads rather than scales. For each chord improvise using the triad. You can do substitutions too.