Finished Pics! 4 string electric? Piccolo bass? Pete's next build

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    paulnb57 said:
    Like the bridge, but not the pickup surround......would black with gold screws be enough to keep the theme going?

However I am the worlds biggest gold harware hater!

Edit, Random thought, the pickup ring looks a bit odd against the curve of the fretboard end, how would it look reversed?........ probably bloody awful!?
    Yes - bloody awful ;)

Actually, only because the rings are shaped that way to hide a groove you have to cut in the rout to let the wire in (the wire on these types of pickup sticks out of the side at the middle of the pickup for reasons probably only known to Leo Fender, etc).  

I tried the black ring with gold screws but to be honest it didn't work - it's the gold of that ring that brings out the tones in the wood.  However, black screws with the gold ring does work :)

Today is all about fret-levelling, etc, so plenty of time to decide, but this is another similar conundrum - the pic above has gold tuners with black ferrule, but it could be black tuners with gold ferrule (definitely in the JPS mould)

Any opinions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    edited March 2017
    paulnb57 said:
    Like the bridge, but not the pickup surround......would black with gold screws be enough to keep the theme going?

Edit, Random thought, the pickup ring looks a bit odd against the curve of the fretboard end, how would it look reversed?........ probably bloody awful!?
    Yes - bloody awful

Actually, only because the rings are shaped that way to hide a groove you have to cut in the rout to let the wire in (the wire on these types of pickup sticks out of the side at the middle of the pickup for reasons probably only known to Leo Fender, etc).  

I tried the black ring with gold screws but to be honest it didn't work - it's the gold of that ring that brings out the tones in the wood.  However, black screws with the gold ring does work

Today is all about fret-levelling, etc, so plenty of time to decide, but this is another similar conundrum - the pic above has gold tuners with black ferrule, but it could be black tuners with gold ferrule (definitely in the JPS mould)

Any opinions?

I like the black with gold fixings.

Can you not swap the buttons too?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    paulnb57 said:

Yes - bloody awful ;)

I tried the black ring with gold screws but to be honest it didn't work - it's the gold of that ring that brings out the tones in the wood.  However, black screws with the gold ring does work :)

Any opinions?

I would go with swapping over the tuner buttons and keeping the nut/washer the same colour- so, black tuner body and post with gold button and gold nut & washer.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    me too..... but I will vie with @paulnb57 for being the world's biggest gold hater

I would go with swapping over the tuner buttons and keeping the nut/washer the same colour- so, black tuner body and post with gold button and gold nut & washer.
    I will try try that later this afternoon @steamabacus  :)  

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts, folks :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    My current preference would be Black with gold nuts, possibly gold buttons?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Well, at the moment @steamabacus  and @paulnb57 have it :)

I like the suggested combination :)  

Oh...and by the way...it weighs 5lb 12oz!!
    Class, that is!
    I like it, do you?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Class, that is!
    I like it, do you?

Very much :)  
    paulnb57 said:
    Class, that is!
    I like it, do you?

Get the bugger finished then!!

paulnb57 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Class, that is!
    I like it, do you?

Get the bugger finished then!!
    :)

Actually got some strings on it this evening.  At the moment, it plays broadly like a dog bowl....but it's early days (I hope ;)  )
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    yet again, it looks really lovely, very impressive work and the matched black and gold hardware suits it perfectly. One thing I would say, personally I think gold volume/tone knobs might work better as they'd stand out more against the finish.
    eSully said:
    yet again, it looks really lovely, very impressive work and the matched black and gold hardware suits it perfectly. One thing I would say, personally I think gold volume/tone knobs might work better as they'd stand out more against the finish.
    Thanks! :)
    Yes - I know what you mean.  I'll have a fiddle about with various knobs I have in my bits box  ( OK, that sounds a bit weird!) and see what looks right once the pots are installed :)
    eSully said:
    In the end, I took the knobs of one of my own guitars - I've tried to get hold of the same ones since and can't find any the same so I shall just have to go down the self-sacrifice martyr route ;)

I'll do the arty farty shots when the brass nut has arrived and I've decided which strings I like best (at the moment I've got 2 jazz flatwounds and two acoustic bronzes on :) ), but it's pretty much done.

Here are a few shots:

I'm pleased with this one, especially as - unless he has more money than sense - it will be my last build for Pete :)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Another cracker Andy!

paulnb57 said:
    Another cracker Andy!
    Thanks, Paul :)  I have to say, I'm well chuffed.  I've got a corker of a project on the drawing board at the moment, but later this year I'm going to try and do a 6-string electric version of the same design and see how it pans out ;)  
    Finished!  Forgive the self-indulgence ;)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I have no idea what I could actually play on it but loving how it's come out :astonished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I'm fascinated to hear what it sounds like, and what the new owner is going to use it for..!

It does look like an absolute work of art tho...