Finished Pics! 4 string electric? Piccolo bass? Pete's next build

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I'm fascinated to hear what it sounds like, and what the new owner is going to use it for..!

It does look like an absolute work of art tho...
    I'm doing some soundclips at the moment.  It's closest equivalent is the bottom strings of a decent Jazz guitar.  

Pete is (mainly) a bass player - he wanted something small enough to be able to noodle on the settee to work out bass riffs for some of the stuff we do as a band and also take travelling with him.  

Pretty sure he's not planning on gigging it...and I've not put any strap buttons on it, so he can't as it stands ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I'm fascinated to hear what it sounds like, and what the new owner is going to use it for..!

It does look like an absolute work of art tho...
    I'm doing some soundclips at the moment.  It's closest equivalent is the bottom strings of a decent Jazz guitar.  

Pete is (mainly) a bass player - he wanted something small enough to be able to noodle on the settee to work out bass riffs for some of the stuff we do as a band and also take travelling with him.  

Pretty sure he's not planning on gigging it...and I've not put any strap buttons on it, so he can't as it stands ;)
    Ahh, now a sofa noodler is a great idea! 

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited March 2017
    Smashing work, brilliant stuff.  :)  It always seems like Bassists are much less worried about being dead vintage accurate and really embrace innovation.  Don't tell @bridgehouse I said that though...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Rox said:
    Smashing work, brilliant stuff.  :)  It always seems like Bassists are much less worried about being dead vintage accurate and really embrace innovation.  Don't tell @bridgehouse I said that though...
    Au Contraire, Blackadder.. :)

I totally agree with you. If you spend any length of time on bass chat you see a really nice mix of new and old. Bassists do I think genuinely embrace new and not 'vintage correct' - but they also embrace vintage.

It feels more like it's 'the right tool for the job, that works for me'

Yes, I love my 64 P. And my 74 P. They are for me the ultimate in bass sound and playability. But they are crap at a modern funky sound. Specially with flat wounds on. 

I've got a new Stingray as well - couldn't be more different - active EQ and tone shaping that is a completely different world from the P basses.

Similarly, I play through a Helix, and the new bass rig is very much a modern, clean, defined tone head with a cab that's favoured for its clean, articulate, modern, revealing sound.

Most guys here won't be interested - but the contrast between attitudes towards gear for bass and guitar does sometimes leave me very confused. 

I totally get this build @Andyjr1515 - a noodling tool for working stuff out. Right tool for the right job. I wouldn't want to wield my 64 P on the sofa for fear of decapitating the missus. Similarly, even in it's nice lightweight Mono bag it would be a nightmare to travel with - it only just scrapes into my boot....

(Back to guitar now.. I know, I know.. get lost bass player and take your inane drivel somewhere else...)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I'm uber-chuffed to report that this bass has just been awarded as "Bass of the Week" in the US-based e-magazine No Treble

Off now to suck lemons to wipe the stupid grin off my face :)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Congratulations! Totally deserved.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Nice one Andy! Well deserved recognition..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll