Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How the bloody hell to people cope with commuting?

What's Hot
I normal try to avoid it wherever possible, but I'm having to endure it at the moment.

How the fuck do people do it?

All the stupid thoughtless drivers.  It's just annoying beyond any thing I normally encounter.
PSN id : snakey33stoo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I normal try to avoid it wherever possible, but I'm having to endure it at the moment.

All the stupid thoughtless drivers.  It's just annoying beyond any thing I normally encounter.
    I really struggle walking from the bedroom to my office some mornings. 

What with dodging dog toys and lego
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33827
    I went into London on one of the motorcycles on Wednesday.
    People are fucking craaaaaaaaaaazy- get of your phones, idiots!
    Can't believe I used to commute daily.
  • 20mins on the bike or 35mins run for me. I actually enjoy it- it's some rare time where I don't have to think about anything. 
    I'd hate to be one of those depressed people sitting in their tin cans though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2017
    I love lying in bed in the mornings and sometimes late afternoons and hearing of all the tailbacks/strikes/holdups, on my bedside radio... My days of all that for fear of not making the mortgage are a thing of the past.

Smug as a Rug!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I really struggle walking from the bedroom to my office some mornings. 

What with dodging dog toys and lego
    Had to re read that, wasn't quite sure what dogging toys are. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24565
    Been there, done that.

Used to do about 2.5 hours each way, sometimes a bit more.

Get up, shower, eat some form of "Breakfast biscuit" go to work
    Get home. Can of soup, or microwave meal, bed.

Sleep half of Saturday to catch up.

Never saw my kids in the week.

Never again.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    We try to forget about it as much as possible.
    Then somebody brings it up...
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I do 35-40 mins each way and it drives me insane. I don't know how people do 2-3 hour commutes on a regular basis. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    I do 35-40 mins each way and it drives me insane. I don't know how people do 2-3 hour commutes on a regular basis. 
    About the same as me and I feel the same.
  • I had a 1 hour commute this morning (and again tomorrow) and I got to a point stuck in a traffic jam where I thought if I just stop the car and walk I'll arrive quicker than just driving.

I didn't because I wasn't really sure I'd find the car when I'd finished the course.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    I really don't mind my journey each day.  Walk to station; fast train to Victoria; tube to wherever.
    About an hour. No problem.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Mine is about an hour to an hour 15 each way due to traffic (only 25 miles), but fortunately I can generally do a couple of days working from home each week. Ideally I would go in to the office everyday but the complete waste of time that is the commute stops me!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    My worst commute was around 70 minutes each way. Thankfully it was only for 3 months, but I really hated it.

It made me appreciate a nice car though. Something quiet with comfy heated seats, climate control and a nice sound system makes a lot of sense when you're going to spend over 2 hours a day in it.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Usually 45-60 minutes each way in the car. Done it for 26 years, not that bothered by it.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I used to do a 20 mile each way commute from NW Kent into Brentwood and it was on a good day, a pleasant drive.  On a bad day (these were the majority), it could take hours as opposed to 30-35 mins.  

I am now 4.4 miles door to door, and it takes EASILY the same amount of time, the road system in Joke-on-Trent is abysmal.  One crash anywhere in the city and the whole thing comes to a standstill.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • Fatalism.

If you worry or get angry it'll eat you.

Did many years of commuting in the one to two hour region.  The art really is to not get excited about the idiots and just soldier on.  If you really must concern youself with the twits you encounter, just remember, without the "fatalist armour", their stress induced coronary is fast approaching!

Trains can be the easiest because you can sleep/read, but the same coping strategy is needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    50 minutes (at 6am and 4pm) to do 35 miles each way round the road to hell. 
    6 years down, 4 more til I retire (not that I'm counting or anything).
  • 15 seconds to walk from my kitchen to my home office. 20 seconds if I stop to stroke the cat on the way.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11328
    After a spell working from home about 12 years ago I started commuting again. I thought "I'm mellow, I can do this again, I'll just listen to my music and let the journey run its course".

Two words.

Northen Line.

It was less than a week before I wanted to punch everyone in the carriage.
  • I am a field based electrician, which translates to 'driver with very occasional electrical work' today I was behind the wheel for 6 hours, it's not uncommon. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.