Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How the bloody hell to people cope with commuting?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Get druny... often.

And... hmm... moer druny
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Used to commute from Amersham to ICMP in Kilburn when I lived at home. Wasn't bad at all when I didn't start until late and I could have almost a whole carriage to myself on the trains, but in the morning rush hour it was fucking depressing. I'd wake up at 6:30 in order to be at the station for 8, to squeeze onto a very crowded train where most of the other passengers were just as tired and fucked off as me, in the cold, and contending with the occasional delay or cancellation too.

Now I live in Kilburn, five minutes away from ICMP and twenty minutes away from work - door to door. Fantastic.

Tell you what though, commuting weekly from Kilburn to Wapping while carrying a bass amp on the London Overground in rush hour would probably rank below sharing a sleeping bag with Piers Morgan in my list of favourite things to do on a Wednesday evening.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    When I worked in Cambridge he commute started at around 30 minutes each way, after 15 years the commute was closer to an hour each way.

Now I work in Huntingdon it's around 15 minutes (at most) each way.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't understand why so many jobs are still 9-5 if they don't need to be. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    That is something I refused to do, We all have a different outlook on life & if it was over a radius of 5 miles from my house I wasn't interested, I couldn't hack that rat race treadmill life for any amount of money, Lifes way too short to be stuck in that twice daily miserable routine.

• I commute from Salisbury to London at least three days a week, 2 hours and 20 minutes each way on a good day, car, train, tube, walk. It used to drive me mad but after nearly six years I'm inured and tolerate it quite well thanks to the iPad, wifi on the train, and having this place to surf! I have the odd snooze too but being in my early 60s it is a bit wearing and I can't wait to give it up when I finally decide that I'm ready to face the relative poverty of retirement...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    tFB Trader
    I've done the 1 hour each way trip - tolerated the morning run and always preferred to go in early - But hated going home late as you knew it was 60 mins so little of the day left sometimes

Now I walk to work - 4/5 mins
  • I am cycling 3.75 miles in about 25 minutes, 90% on cycle path. I can do it in <15 minutes but the 25 minute version is more civilised and I don't have to wear "cycling apparel".

North Wales is (for now) not very congested even at rush hour. When I go to places like Stevenage or driving along the A14 I can't imagine doing that nonsense twice a day.

It would all be a lot better if people would observe at least the minimum competence standard for driving, such as indicating, giving way, not tailgating, looking through the windscreen...
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.