Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Moving to London to teach guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2017

£8.33 = half an hour @ £50/6 lessons. So its £16.66 per hour at that rate.

Well in that case I can only guess its subsidised by the school, and more likely to be one of the few schools that gets in their own instrumental teachers without going through a local music service that obviously has their cut to factor into the costs. Its definitely not sounding like the model that most of the country uses. And typically most instrumental teachers do less than 20hrs actual teaching per week! Then consider no holiday pay as well....and schools are closed 16weeks a year!  Teachers of Brass/woodwind/strings usually get a lot less than guitar/drums as 'classical' instruments are typically far less popular. Often I'm in school doing 1-2.5hrs at a time and someone will be doing say brass in the next room and they'll come to teach 1-3 kids! Hard to see a wage in that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I think you'd be better off moving somewhere other than London if you want to teach guitar for a living and don't already have a full contact book.

A better option might be to move to London and get a day job that allows you to continue with guitar in your spare time, so you can get the qualifications needed to teach guitar.

Or choose a different city: I'd go for one of the B's: Bath, Brighton, Bristol or Brum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    /\ Bognor...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Blackpool
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ Bognor...
    Blackpool
    Bloomsbury (Peter Pan reference)
  • In answer to some of the above questions and statements- 

So the 8k per year was for a shared student house, I've looked at a few of them around ICMP and that seems to be the going rate for an averaged sized room for a student. Enough to live in for a year. Facebook page showing ICMP accom here- https://www.facebook.com/groups/icmphousehunting/

I've never taught guitar, however, I have been teaching/instructing for 6 years- just not guitar specifically. 

Another City could be a good shout!
    Currently, I'm considering moving closer to a city, within my current line of work, so that I can get more opportunities gigging etc. Then consider becoming a guitar tutor.

Neverland- I put that there as I don't want my current employer seeing this, slim chance but I'd rather him not think that I would like to leave. 

I'm quite industrious, I'll figure it all out... cheers for all of the comments/help so far.

Ste

• Grunfeld said:
    Here's a map showing average rent of one-bed flats within 1km of each tube station:

That seems about right. Saw a couple of what looked like cheap anomalies in my neck of the woods (out East and north of the river) till I figured that your £500 in Redbridge will literally be a box room in a shared house that's likely to be occupied to maximum density with Bangladeshi or sub-Saharan families who speak little or no English, or West African families who speak a little more.  I used to do a NHS community gig so got to know the area well.  It looked a pretty hard environment and life but I guess it's all relative to what you've come from and not being able to afford anything else.
    There's other anomalies on there; Ruislip Gardens and South Ruislip, for example, being slap bang in the middle of huge blocks of RAF housing for Northolt Aerodrome, which has skewed the averages down by about £200.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7367
    If someone gave me a choice between a move to London to teach guitar, or eating a bowl full of broken glass; I would ask if they'd prefer me to use a spoon or just grab bare hand fulls.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    DefaultM said:
    If someone gave me a choice between a move to London to teach guitar, or eating a bowl full of broken glass; I would ask if they'd prefer me to use a spoon or just grab bare hand fulls.

...so thats a maybe?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Is the ratio of teachers to students higher in London?

I would guess that a lot on competent guitarists gravitate towards London but fewer people have the time/disposable income or inclination to learn guitar?

Can anyone get a reasearch budget and test my hypothesis?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    /\ you will probbo only get one if it involves refugees...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>