Making a shitty backline amp sound half decent.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @ChrisCox1994 where are you? Is it Engelberg? are you here the whole week?
    Yeah, we're back next friday :) we are playing the yucatan.

Crowds and staff are great.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is exactly why I've built this board:

The board itself takes care of everything except "make louder" and "sound like a speaker" duties*, thanks to the AMT F1 - and it has a very effective global EQ in the preamp, so it can correct for most issues that are down to a crappy amp. Also, if there's an effects loop, it'll just plug straight into the return to use the power amp, and all's golden.

The key is the F1 preamp - put it at the end of any normal board which can generate all the tones you like into a clean amp, and you've got the most consistent setup possible short of running a modeller direct into the PA.

That said, I'm considering getting an AMT CP-100 impulse loader to put after the F1, so that I really can run direct into the PA without the nastiness of analogue cab sims. That'd push the replacement value of the board well over a grand, though, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that ;)

* yes, the AMT has a cab sim output, but it's not all that great. It's possible to make it sound acceptable, but not with the same EQ settings as you'd use going straight into a power amp/guitar speaker.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Use bad monkey last in line and put mixer out into the aux input on the back. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Why on earth are you trying to 'push' a tranny modelling amp with pedals??!!

just set it for a rock rhythm gain tone, back off for clean(ish) and click on the bad monkey with high drive and slight volume boost, hitting the preamp hard with just sound crap. 
  • Ditch the amp, run bad monkey into the mixer and have done with it. 
    Ah that's annoying as I could have leant you an amp but I'm giging in St Moritz next weekend.... I leave Friday pm.

Are you driving from zurich  or going by train?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can you run some DSP amp/cab modelling on a laptop and send that through to the mixer?
    Ah that's annoying as I could have leant you an amp but I'm giging in St Moritz next weekend.... I leave Friday pm.

Are you driving from zurich  or going by train?
    Oh wow thanks for the offer! Were in burgdorf right now then bern tomorrow, back in bergdorf thursday then engelberg for the weekend.

In the end i got a fairly ok sound with the mixer output of the bad monkey in the amp and we are borrowing a 50w randal valve combo for Thursday thankfully!

Tomorrow is straight to desk from pedals acoustic style.

We flew in and out at Basel. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    ICBM said:
    Treat it as a challenge :). Most guitarists are far too dependent on their own gear to get 'their' sound in my opinion - if you can learn how to get a decent approximation of it through more or less anything then you're probably ready to become a bass player ;).

Well said my friend.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• @ChrisCox1994 ah. You are actually not very near me then. Burgdorf is an odd place to end up.  I have played some good gigs in Bern. Sounds like a nice little tour!